What's new

Is a straight razor better?

Too funny. I Googled best straight razor and at the top is a Gillette article comparing cartridge shaving to straight razors. Of course their playing down using a straight and brush!

I wonder whether they’re feeling a squeeze from the growth in traditional shaving. Some of their cons are big pros for me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Classic marketing made easier with Google search tracking. “You might be looking for this thing, but have you considered this other thing too?”

It would take quite an upturn for them to feel any pressure, they just want continued domination at this point.

Classic marketing made easier with Google search tracking. “You might be looking for this thing, but have you considered this other thing too?”

It would take quite an upturn for them to feel any pressure, they just want continued domination at this point.

Yes, except I would think it’s a total waste of time for them. Why bother?

Gillette has been doing this more lately. They also have a TV ad where they show their razor timeline and how razors have, "improved" since the 1920s. It shows a clean, "progression" from DEs to the Fusion and that more blades gives you a better shave. I'll keep my straight, thanks.

A cart is designed to shave you easily without the required learning curve typical with a straight or de. Just have at it. De or straight has the learning curve. It's not much but most guys don't want to deal with it. So that's why they sell so many of them.

Most of their cons are that you have to be skilled with acquired and learned abilities...gasp.

I’ve seen this before too. The link is below. What is funny is it’s written to seem like an objective analysis. We can file that under “fake news.”

I can’t believe that Gilette is really impacted by straight razor users. Maybe straight razors are a bellwether or influencer for people moving non-mainstream ie DEs, Harry’s etc.

Is a Straight Razor Better? | Gillette USA

I’ve seen this before too. The link is below. What is funny is it’s written to seem like an objective analysis. We can file that under “fake news.”

I can’t believe that Gilette is really impacted by straight razor users. Maybe straight razors are a bellwether or influencer for people moving non-mainstream ie DEs, Harry’s etc.

Is a Straight Razor Better? | Gillette USA

I wouldn’t think it was impacting them either. Perhaps all other forms are pinching them.

I was particularly amused by their claim that gels and foam were superior to a brush!! Really???

"A high quality stainless steel blade is required"? Except that it's not. You can use carbon steel. And, in fact, most straight razors aren't stainless.

Who would believe a comparison article about straights versus cartridge razors that was written by the producers of the world's most popular cartridge razor?

It's like reading an article written by Nissan that compares a Nissan with a Honda. One shouldn't be particularly surprised when they tell you that the Nissan is better, right?

"A high quality stainless steel blade is required"? Except that it's not. You can use carbon steel. And, in fact, most straight razors aren't stainless.

Who would believe a comparison article about straights versus cartridge razors that was written by the producers of the world's most popular cartridge razor?

It's like reading an article written by Nissan that compares a Nissan with a Honda. One shouldn't be particularly surprised when they tell you that the Nissan is better, right?

So true. I have 1 stainless and 2 carbon. I think I prefer the later.

Ha! That was a funny read. I do plan on shaving with a cartridge to comemorate my first year of wet shaving to truly compare the difference. I haven’t used one since I started with a DE and moved quickly to straights. I’ll even use my old shave cream to make it really authentic and I’m not looking forward to it.

steveclarkus

Goose Poop Connoisseur
Actually, I don’t think Gillette is concerned with any competition. The best shaving razor they ever made was in the 1920’s but people kept buying whatever they put out. The thing that I’m curious about is the production companies like Dovo and Boker among others are putting out. They make a hell of a lot of razors so somebody is buying them so straight shaving must be of some significance and it isn’t just us. Gold Dollar alone must be selling thousands. I’m curious as to who is buying all these straight razors. Any comments or ideas?

Actually, I don’t think Gillette is concerned with any competition. The best shaving razor they ever made was in the 1920’s but people kept buying whatever they put out. The thing that I’m curious about is the production companies like Dovo and Boker among others are putting out. They make a hell of a lot of razors so somebody is buying them so straight shaving must be of some significance and it isn’t just us. Gold Dollar alone must be selling thousands. I’m curious as to who is buying all these straight razors. Any comments or ideas?
I think a large number of the market all around are to “middlemen” who rebrand the item with some little bit of personalization, then mark up the price for the consumer. This especially applies to the items coming out of Asia. The evidence is all over the place - barbers, etsy shops, Amazon, artisan shops, big name shave sites, etc. Tons of the same items under different names.

Of course, then there’s the folks who buy bulk GD 66 and actually make them pieces of fine art...

steveclarkus

Goose Poop Connoisseur
I think a large number of the market all around are to “middlemen” who rebrand the item with some little bit of personalization, then mark up the price for the consumer. This especially applies to the items coming out of Asia. The evidence is all over the place - barbers, etsy shops, Amazon, artisan shops, big name shave sites, etc. Tons of the same items under different names.

Of course, then there’s the folks who buy bulk GD 66 and actually make them pieces of fine art...
You are probably right but in the end someone is buying them. I have a rebranded Soligen I bought in 1982 that is likely a Dovo reject. I’m going to remove the scales, toss the blade and put the scales on a GD66. I shave with my 66 more than any other razor I have. In short, I love them. I saw the mod you got - really nice. I have six on order now. If you want one unmodded lazer sharp let me know and I’ll send you one. I use the @Seraphim / @Slash McCoy method and it really really works. I enjoy your posts by the way. I’ve only been at this a couple of months myself - just under 50 shaves now. Let me know and I’ll PM you for your address when I have one ready. Waiting for the slow boat from China. I posted a photo of a GD W62 I received today under “Acquisitions”.

You are probably right but in the end someone is buying them. I have a rebranded Soligen I bought in 1982 that is likely a Dovo reject. I’m going to remove the scales, toss the blade and put the scales on a GD66. I shave with my 66 more than any other razor I have. In short, I love them. I saw the mod you got - really nice. I have six on order now. If you want one unmodded lazer sharp let me know and I’ll send you one. I use the @Seraphim / @Slash McCoy method and it really really works. I enjoy your posts by the way. I’ve only been at this a couple of months myself - just under 50 shaves now. Let me know and I’ll PM you for your address when I have one ready. Waiting for the slow boat from China. I posted a photo of a GD W62 I received today under “Acquisitions”.

Slow boat indeed! Thanks for the offer!

I just don’t have tools or time right now or I’d be jumping on that mod competition wagon for sure! Right now it a “one of these days” pipe dream lol.

That’s just it. There are a lot of new straights out there and most aren’t inexpensive. Certainly it isn’t killing the cartridge market, but I’d like to know its impact.

Top Bottom