What's new

Is a Stainless Steel Razor Head Necessary?

ever since i was young, my mother and father always bought metal items in stainless steel, saying stainless was the best, now being old enough to spend my own money💷😂😂😂, i tend to stick to stainless steel items, not because other metals are particularly bad, but just because that's what I've always been used too😁

I started out in the 60’s with a Gillette that was brass with a nickel coating. I probably would still be using it had I not got sidetracked onto cartridge razors and lost the Gillette. When I came back to DE shaving I started with a cheap (sub $10) Zamac razor. After thinking about it for a while, I decided that I wanted an heirloom razor that my grandkids could hand down to their kids. I knew the Zanac razor would not last that long so I bought a Rockwell.

The problem with Zamac is if the plating is compromised and water reaches the Zamac, it will corrode inside the plating.

I started out in the 60’s with a Gillette that was brass with a nickel coating. I probably would still be using it had I not got sidetracked onto cartridge razors and lost the Gillette. When I came back to DE shaving I started with a cheap (sub $10) Zamac razor. After thinking about it for a while, I decided that I wanted an heirloom razor that my grandkids could hand down to their kids. I knew the Zanac razor would not last that long so I bought a Rockwell.

The problem with Zamac is if the plating is compromised and water reaches the Zamac, it will corrode inside the plating.
This is all true. Zamak razors are certainly cheaper, and a LOT cheaper in some cases. Might mean that you could get 2 or 3 of the razor head you really like so that if it breaks or corrodes, you can just move on the next one.

If you take really good care of it, never drop it, and always dry it carefully after using, even a cheap Zamak head may well outlive you.

For me stainless steel and copper are just materials which enable beautifully finished hardwearing long lasting tools.
All coatings and finishes, platings will wear down.
OTOH I have Gillette black beauty which looks fine, a gem Damaskeene which looks fine too. So nickel is hard wearing

Execution is more important than material. Going to a steel razor will not magically improve your shave. If you like your current razor, enjoy. If you feel the need to upgrade for any reason, that's the time to think about materials,

I have razors of zamak, steel, brass, and aluminum. The only one that has died was a zamak Merkur 23c. It broke when I dropped it onto a tile floor. Being clumsy, I've dropped a number of things - a Tech, a Rockwell 6S, a Marvy mug, and a couple of brushes. The only casualty was the 23c; none of the other items were damaged.

Zamak razors are fine until the plating is compromised but once it does, water will attack the metal and corrode it. Also, it is brittle, so if you drop it, it may well break. If take good care of it and don't drop it, it could last for years. If you screw up, it could last for minutes.

Stainless is great but heavier and more expensive. OTOH, it may well outlast your greatgrandchildren.

Most of my razors are nickel-on-brass (vintage Gillettes).

Necessary? No, brass/bronze are more than adequate. However, with increasing demand, more SS heads and complete razors are being made available, and prices are coming down.

The price for mid-range stainless (e.g., RR Game Changer) is a quantum step up from a comparable zamac offering, simply by the increased value-investment ratio.

At this stage of production, zamac builds cost nickles on the dollar for production. Obviously, overheard, continuing r&d, etc., are part of the price-set, but it would be challenging to say that we've seen jumps in the quality or designs of offerings justifying it.

..How long does a regular alloy and nickel or Chrome plated razor head last?...
It will last until it breaks. I purchased my current daily shaver sometime in 2010. A DE89, that has been used almost exclusively for the past 6-7 years. It sits on top of a Bulldog stainless handle. The handle threads were checked before its first use for any burrs or thread defects.
How well do you look after your tools? Do you understand the notion of torque? Are you a neat person? Just a few rhetorical questions.

...Aside from snobbery..
This is a hobbyist forum. Nothing we say or do is out of snobbery.

...I'm trying to figure out whether it's worth it to spring for a stainless steel razor?
Ask your wallet as it holds most of the answers to questions of this nature. Some, the unlucky ones, have to ask their wives first.
Worth? Absolutely.

No a stainless steel razor isn't necessary but there is something about holding a solid, heavy, and well machined tool that looks great and you know that someone can still use generations after you are gone. A precision piece of gear that is attractive to look at as well as a joy to use. I am almost 60 years old and I have learned over that time that I have never regretted buying quality, but trying to save money on a cheaper product usually cost me more over the long run and also leads to unhappiness in the long term. Buy the best the first time and you won't have to buy it again.

I like most of my zamac heads more than my steel and brass heads, but I would like to find one someday that outperforms them so I have something I really like that lasts. I do wonder how long my aircraft aluminum razors will last.

This is a hobbyist forum. Nothing we say or do is out of snobbery.

Snobbery has its place in all venues; including this one. With that said, i think you’re right that most people here buy things because they truly enjoy them and not to be elitist. Regarding the original question, i think the advantage of a stainless razor is relative to what you’re looking to get from it. Plated brass will dent if dropped and the finish can chip or wear, zamak can break or rot and stainless will never chip, fade or rot. But it’s also heavy. Titanium and aluminum are similar to stainless but are obviously much lighter. If you’re looking for something that you can pass down to your great grandchildren, i’d stay away from zamak and maybe plated brass due to the finish wear over decades. Otherwise it’s all about price, machining tolerances and weight. As far as shaving results though?I think it all has to do with the blade gap. The most finely machined razor with too small or too large gap will shave terribly. Just as a poorly machine junk razor can shave perfectly if the gap is to your liking. I think people here mostly like the idea of finding a razor that works perfectly for them that they know won’t ever rot or break; which is why the popularity of stainless razors has gone way up. Are they worth it? I think so. Are they necessary? Absolutely not.

I don't think a stainless steel razor head is a necessity, I have a Parker Variant zamak razor that I enjoy shaving with. I also have 2 stainless steel Fendrihan razors, that each cost me less than the Parker, and I'm pretty sure could not have been made with zamak, as there are a few thin intricate cuts in the base plate which are in no danger of breaking, but, would not do well, made in zamak. Stainless steel, brass, and even good quality aluminum, have structural advantages over zamak, ..there are limits to what you can do shaping something soft, and brittle, and still have integrity. If a razor I want was available in steel, brass, or zamak, I would be good with paying more than double, to buy it in brass, or steel, I would not consider the zamak version. So..would I pay 120 dollars for a brass Parker Variant...yes..in a heartbeat, even though it would weigh a ton...

My preferred metals are Brass, Copper, Stainless and Ti. Then comes Aluminum. Waaaaaay down the list (last resort) there's Zamak.
I agree except I am partial to stainless. I currently own stainless, brass, aluminum and zamak razors. Interestingly, the last two days I have been using the zamak Muhle R89 razor head that came on my Gillette Heritage razor with a larger handle and I have had excellent shaves. I really like the way the polished chrome plated zamak head feels against my face. If I take care of that razor I will get years of excellent shaves from it. That said I ordered a polished stainless steel Timeless razor last night and it will be the crown jewel of my modest razor collection. It’s a beautiful precision crafted razor that will certainly outlast me and that Muhle R89 razor.

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
I agree except I am partial to stainless. I currently own stainless, brass, aluminum and zamak razors. Interestingly, the last two days I have been using the zamak Muhle R89 razor head that came on my Gillette Heritage razor with a larger handle and I have had excellent shaves. I really like the way the polished chrome plated zamak head feels against my face. If I take care of that razor I will get years of excellent shaves from it. That said I ordered a polished stainless steel Timeless razor last night and it will be the crown jewel of my modest razor collection. It’s a beautiful precision crafted razor that will certainly outlast me and that Muhle R89 razor.

The Brass, Copper, Stainless and Ti listing is just in alphabetical order. I like all four metals a lot and have been known to mix and match where I have compatible parts. ;)

Had a Parker 94R that was my regular razor. The cap edge started to deteriorate which seems to be a weak link for plated razors. The edge is critical to keeping the blade flat. I have the Ikon Tech and RR MJ-97 that have anodized aluminum heads. Just ordered the RR stainless steel Game Changer .85 comb. I hate to become attached to razor I like then have to replace it.

Top Bottom