What's new

Is a Simpson Manchurian Brush for Me? Poll w/Background Info.

Should I try a Simpson Manchurian Brush?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
About 4-5 years ago I had a Simpson brush in 2-band Super that I really liked, but ended up letting it go in a den clear out. It's been a few years since I've bought a new brush, but I'm thinking about getting another Simpson soon.

I see that Simpsons no longer offers 2-band Super brushes but does offer "Manchurian" which is some sort of high-grade 2-band hair. I've done some research on these brushes but opinions seem to be all over the place.

Are the knots anything at all like the 2-band Super brushes from a few years ago or something different entirely? I do not like scritchy or scratchy brushes. Dense brushes with backbone are fine with me.

Thank you.

Everyone should try a Simpson Manchurian. It's a great knot. As with all brush related discussions, the best way to assess whether a brush works for you is to try it. The Manchurians I've tried had scrub, which to me is different than scritch or scratch.

The Simpsons' Manchurian hair is nothing like the good 2-Band hairs that they used to offer, back then. The Manchurian hair offers much more scrub with excellent backbone and fairly soft tips.
Personally, I like this hair, especially, in the Chubby 3 size, but I just don't foresee myself buying one as they are a bit too pricey for me.
A friend of mine was ever so kind to allow me to try his Chubby 3 Manchurian Jade and it was a pleasure.

If you have the discretionary income, then I say try one of the brushes in the size that best suits you.
Good luck.

About 4-5 years ago I had a Simpson brush in 2-band Super that I really liked, but ended up letting it go in a den clear out. It's been a few years since I've bought a new brush, but I'm thinking about getting another Simpson soon.

I see that Simpsons no longer offers 2-band Super brushes but does offer "Manchurian" which is some sort of high-grade 2-band hair. I've done some research on these brushes but opinions seem to be all over the place.

Are the knots anything at all like the 2-band Super brushes from a few years ago or something different entirely? I do not like scritchy or scratchy brushes. Dense brushes with backbone are fine with me.

Thank you.

They are entirely different.

The only Simpsons Manchurian, an M6, I presently rotate is quite sparse with marked backbone and borderline scritchy unless I soak it the night before first use for the week. It is however a LE, so there is no telling about the next LE version...

Last edited by a moderator:
The legend is real. I have a Chubby 2 Manchurian in Buffalo Horn and its stellar. Pricey yes, but the legend is real. Mine was built in 2015 and has great backbone and soft tips. The first 4-5 shaves had some scritch, but not anymore.

Simpson still offers two band silver tip. The old brushes didnt have a specific name but now does. Both two band and manchurian have great backbone. Two band is a very soft and the manchurian is a scrubby and soft knot. If recommend getting the silvertip two band like you use to have

Simpson still offers two band silver tip. The old brushes didnt have a specific name but now does. Both two band and manchurian have great backbone. Two band is a very soft and the manchurian is a scrubby and soft knot. If recommend getting the silvertip two band like you use to have

When and where is the 2-band "silver tip" offered? I've checked some of the more popular vendors and none of them are stocking it. Is this grade of hair only offered on LE brushes now?

From your description, I would say, "Get the brush!"

I am very pleased with Simpson's best which performs as well on my face as the more expensive Simpson's grades I have tried. However, the more expensive Simpson's do offer an aesthetic that is very pleasing and attractive!! The only viable option is to, "Try the brush!"

When and where is the 2-band "silver tip" offered? I've checked some of the more popular vendors and none of them are stocking it. Is this grade of hair only offered on LE brushes now?
You can only buy them directly from simpson as they are limited releases. No vendor sells limited simpsons besides simpson themselves. You can email them or watch their facebook twitter or instagram where they will post current offerings or on the limited edition page on the website

Do it while you are able to do it.Expect strong backbone,solid construction,and longer break-in time.These brushes are made to last half a century with proper maintenance.If I were to have only one brush it would be a Manchurian or vintage Rooney Finest.

I'm in the process of getting to know a M7 Manchurian. The knot has definitely softened up after a few lathers, and has a nice combination of scrub and softness. I bought it during the Black Friday sale mostly out of curiosity as I have several very fine brushes already. As with most things shaving, there are so many variables that are involved in whether a product is right for you. If you can afford one it's worth a try, especially since there is a good aftermarket for quality Simpson brushes.

Top Bottom