What's new

Is a shavette/cut-throat razor really THAT much better than a safety razor?

Good afternoon all.

Today when I was in my local chemist (I am from UK, we call the said shops chemists, not drug stores) I saw this for sale:

Wikinson Sword's own shavette razor.

I was tempted to buy it but I want to know if a cut-throat razor (or shavette) is really THAT much better than a safety razor in terms of closeness; given the extra effort and precautions that are involved. Or is it just the 'ritual' that cut-throat razor enthusiasts enjoy?

My safety razor gives a very good shave so the whole point of this question is to see if its worth upgrading to a shavette/cut-throat as my skills improve.

Jason.

I'm still a beginner with a shavette. However, when I do use one I get a shave that's almost as close as my DE while getting less irritation. My skin also looks so much better that my wife noticed the difference. Out of the blue she said my skin looks younger, like when she first met me, so I'm not imagining it.

With the shavette, it requires fewer passes of the blade over my skin to get the closeness that I desire. The blade angle I can use also seems quite a bit more shallow than it is with a DE, and that seems to make the shavette very gentle on my skin. The main problem, other than time, is that I have a few trouble spots on my jawline that require an ATG direction that's difficult to achieve with the shavette. Other than that, the shavette shave is better, all around, than with my DE.

I usually end up using my DE most of the time, just to save time during the work week.

I still use DE once in a while but once I started straight razor shaving it is my preferred method to shave. I like the challenge of the shave, I like the challenge of maintaining the edge, and I'm fond of the end result. I can also shave every day, but with DE I need to take a day or 2 off once in a while.

I just like it better. Everyone is different.

Old Hippie

Somewhere between 61 and dead
For decades it was easy to simply say, "No, I don't have a death wish." :)

Apparently pandemics do funny things to our heads, or mine at least. During the most stressful time of the pandemic I started playing with shavettes/barber razors/whatever you call them. And I got lovely shaves. And I nicked myself a couple of times, but less actually than with some aggressive "safety" razors.

I learned a couple of things from the experience. I suggest buying a slightly better kit if you're just starting out. For instance, I understand that the Focus Slim Al is about $50 -- more or less depending on where you are in the world. You can get a cheap outfit from some online sellers for about $10, so why spend five times as much?

I started with a less-expensive razor. I'm familiar with how the learning curve plays out when you're waving a sharp blade around for the first time. I recommend the Focus because I've also used it and own one. I wish I'd seen it first and been smart enough to buy one. It's a half-DE razor, it has corner guards and it has a built in angle guide that actually works. I prefer to build technique stepwise, rather than simply falling into the deep end of the pool.

I have other barber straights. I like them all. I find, paradoxically, that not only do I nick myself less frequently with a shavette but I also don't carve off so much when I hit a bug bite. I just lately picked up the brand new Feather SR and I'm having a ball with that thing.

In the end, if it interests you grab one. Give it some time and take some time; it'll be fine.

O.H.

My wife gave me one of these shavettes a year ago. The quality is decent, though sometimes it's a bit of a pain to put the half blade on the pins (I assume this is the case with many razors that use this locking mechanism).

There is a learning curve with a shavette, but I would say it's not overly steep, once muscle memory kicks in, the results get better....

It's a good product for tipping a toe into the shavette water, if you will.

JCinPA

The Lather Maestro
A cutthroat razor is not any closer than a DE razor. It's a preferred method for many who like the challenge of it. I could not care less about the challenge, and while a straight in the hands of an experienced user is not inherently dangerous, it is certainly more dangerous than a DE. It's like the old adage about flying, "It's not necessarily dangerous ... but it is very unforgiving of mistakes."

If you wan to try a SR, by all means, go ahead, I don't mean to discourage that for anyone, but it is one of wet shaving's most durable myths that a SR will shave you closer than a DE with a good blade and good technique. It simply will not.

A cutthroat razor is not any closer than a DE razor. It's a preferred method for many who like the challenge of it. I could not care less about the challenge, and while a straight in the hands of an experienced user is not inherently dangerous, it is certainly more dangerous than a DE. It's like the old adage about flying, "It's not necessarily dangerous ... but it is very unforgiving of mistakes."

If you wan to try a SR, by all means, go ahead, I don't mean to discourage that for anyone, but it is one of wet shaving's most durable myths that a SR will shave you closer than a DE with a good blade and good technique. It simply will not.

I myself tend to believe in that myth, and here’s why. My 2011 Mühle R41 is undoubtedly the closest shaving razor that I own. I could add several extra passes with most other razors, and not get the results that I always do with the 2011 R41 in two passes.

Somehow, I just tend to think a straight razor (meaning an ACTUAL one, NOT a shavette) would be as close or even closer than the 2011 R41.

Last edited:
Good afternoon all.

Today when I was in my local chemist (I am from UK, we call the said shops chemists, not drug stores) I saw this for sale:

I was tempted to buy it but I want to know if a cut-throat razor (or shavette) is really THAT much better than a safety razor in terms of closeness; given the extra effort and precautions that are involved. Or is it just the 'ritual' that cut-throat razor enthusiasts enjoy?

My safety razor gives a very good shave so the whole point of this question is to see if its worth upgrading to a shavette/cut-throat as my skills improve.

Jason.
Shavette utilizing DE blades snapped in half, is the worst there is. Completely different than a real SR, while being harsh, nasty, prone to bite, with all the blade chatter and skipping you can imagine.

Feather Artist Club system is excellent, but it's very different shaving experience, compared to a classical SR.

I've tried them all and decided nothing beats a top quality SE or DE.

YMMV 😉

^Agree with above, especially that shavette with half DE blade is rough!

Except my experience is that nothing...nothing beats my Feather-style shavettes with a Feather ProGuard blade!
Just my own experience!!!

PS...Welcome to B&B, Sir JasonJT!!

feather proguard-4990-Edit.jpg

If you're going to try a half DE blade style shavette, please do some research and find one that has the least blade exposure. DE blades are the thinnest in the wet shaving world, thinner than DE, AC and Injector, so they can flex more, giving you an uncomfortable shave.
As for me, after a month of using shavettes only, mostly the half DE style, I find I get closer and smoother shaves than a DE razor. Not saying the open blade is inherently superior to a safety razor, but it allows you to more precisely control the blade angle.

I was tempted to buy it but I want to know if a cut-throat razor (or shavette) is really THAT much better than a safety razor in terms of closeness; given the extra effort and precautions that are involved.

No, not in my experience. I find that DEs shave closer, given the same amount of time and effort, vs. a SR. However, I find that SRs are easier on my skin, with less nicks and irritation than with a DE.

In general, I would say: GEM SEs (except the G-Bar) > most DEs > SR > most cartridges. That said, I do have a few DEs that are no better than cartridge razors, but I have some DEs that are as good as GEM SE razors, given the proper blade choice.

Good afternoon all.

Jason.

I'd say that it's based on the users preferences.

For me personally, my results have been leaps and bounds better since switching to a Shavette.

I find that the angle that is created by the top cap of a DE razor, resulted in more of a scraping effect rather than a slicing one; which would often lead to some hefty irritation, regardless of how light my touch was or what razor was used.

A Shavette allows me to use a very shallow angle and slice clean at the surface with minimal blade to skin contact.

Personal preference, as mentioned.

I was thinking about this as well a few days ago. My thinking is that I don't think a straight razor will give a superior shave compared to a DE. I do think that the straight razor will give the user more fine control and less overlap. This could give an individual user a closer, less irritated shave if they have a face that is inherently harder to shave with a DE for some reason.

Another approach is the that user may find it superior because it takes more skill. There's nothing wrong with taking pride in having a rare skill that is used on a daily basis, but that doesn't necessarily mean it is superior. I look at it as hand cut vs machine cut dovetails. One definitely takes more skill, but the end result is the same although one is intrinsically given a higher value.

Admittedly I have only used a straight twice and only on my cheeks. It took some nudging from @steveclarkus to get me to stick my toe in the water. I'm not convinced it's better, but I'll give it a fair shake.

AimlessWanderer

Remember to forget me!
I was tempted to buy it but I want to know if a cut-throat razor (or shavette) is really THAT much better than a safety razor in terms of closeness; given the extra effort and precautions that are involved.

Nope. Not to my mind anyway. I have FAR better control and dexterity with a perpencidular handle (safety razor), than an inline handle (straight format). Also, the handle doesn't get in the way with a safety razor, and it's much easier to go horizontal on the neck. I think the handle location on a safety razor, was a more significant evolution from the straight format, than adding a comb (whether open or closed).

As to closeness, I can get completely stubble free with a safety razor, so a straight or shavette offers me nothing that I can't already get. Other points of note, include me being partially bearded, and a wider blade doesn't do me any favours, plus I find honing incredibly tedious.

I CAN shave with a straight, and I actually don't mind the occasional straight format shave, just for a bit of novelty, but would hate to use it with any regularity.

rbscebu

Girls call me Makaluod
@JasonJT you'll never ever know if you don't give it a go.

I shave with electric, DE "safety", ½DE blade shavette and traditional SR (in order of common use). For the closest most comfortable shave, I shave with the ½DE Feather blade shavette or a traditional SR (preferred). They are similar but different.

SR (that includes shavette type and traditional) shaving is not for those who are irrationality overcome by fear or aren't prepared to learn a new skill. If you are not one of those, give it a go. Shave with one daily for about 30 days. Most who get to that point never go back.

Yes, they are better.

If you want to be like a real man, shave with a "safety" razor. Only real men can shave with a razor where they can't see the blade's edge on their skin. I'm usually not one of them.

Last edited:

steveclarkus

Goose Poop Connoisseur
I was thinking about this as well a few days ago. My thinking is that I don't think a straight razor will give a superior shave compared to a DE. I do think that the straight razor will give the user more fine control and less overlap. This could give an individual user a closer, less irritated shave if they have a face that is inherently harder to shave with a DE for some reason.

Another approach is the that user may find it superior because it takes more skill. There's nothing wrong with taking pride in having a rare skill that is used on a daily basis, but that doesn't necessarily mean it is superior. I look at it as hand cut vs machine cut dovetails. One definitely takes more skill, but the end result is the same although one is intrinsically given a higher value.

Admittedly I have only used a straight twice and only on my cheeks. It took some nudging from @steveclarkus to get me to stick my toe in the water. I'm not convinced it's better, but I'll give it a fair shake.
Straights shave at least as well as a DE and don’t tend to nick as much as a DE. They do take a good bit more time and consistent use to master though. Once learned, they really can’t be beat.

Is it better? No. In my experience, shaving with a good shavette or straight razor is more comfortable and is more fun too. I shave with pretty much any traditional mathod of shaving, by the way: straights, double edge, single edge, cartridge, electric.

Top Bottom