What's new

Is a pre-shave oil necessary

I was wondering how you all feel about pre-shave oils, lotions, or other products. Do you feel they are a necessary part of your routine. I have used very few and have done the most experimenting with the AOS oil. Like many others I feel seems to be more sticky than lubricating, and im not sure that really helps. Do you all use any products that you enjoy and think contribute to a better shave.

To answer your question: No. However, I use AOS oil and Proraso preshave. Probably won't buy more AOS but the feel of the Proraso is great so this is a yessir!

I enjoy a pre-shave soap but pre-shave oil does little to nothing for me, just makes it a whole lot messier!

I'd bet you'll get mixed answers on this one. Personally I've never used a pre shave oil. I don't feel the need for one as my current prep and lather seem to be working just fine for me. Given that, it's hard to justify the cost of additional product I don't feel I need. I have a feeling that my perspective there will be vastly different from our severely AD-stricken brethren, but honestly I'm just spending that money on the things I deem "necessary" in a shave. :)

PSO is one of the many YMMV things around here. It varies from absolutely essential, to meh, to hate it - clogs stuff up.

I'm in the essential category. In fact, I apply it before I start lathering up, and then a second application right before I do my neck ATG pass (if being done).

I have used some of the AOS stuff, & have found it to work fairly well, but I like the home made stuff better (check out the wiki for ideas). My grapeseed-based concoction is thinner than the AOS, which I like.

I've tried all sorts of routines and for DE shaving, you don't "need" a pre-shave oil. I haven't noticed any difference in the quality of the shave. However, as any YMMV thing, its not a matter of necessity, but of a nice routine or however else you want to approach your shave. One area that I notice a pre-shave oil being a big help, though: learning how to straight shave. I'm in the process of learning and I find that the pre-shave oil really helps the blade glide on the skin.

thanks everyone, everywhere I look seems to have mixed reviews. I am leaning toward not using it as a regular part of my routine since it sort of messy, but i will probably try some others and see if that changes.

Use it only if you get nicks and weepers in your normal shave. If you do get cuts, then preshave oil might eliminate those. If you're happy with the way things are, then it's probably unnecessary. You can even use some cheap grapeseed oil to see if you like it, if not, then nothing wasted...use the oil for your next stir fry.

My SWMBO bought me an eShave kit which came with PSO and I end up using it about 25% of the time. (usually don't use it because I forget to). Does it make a huge difference? I can't tell yet but I like the way it smells and feels on my skin so I use it sometimes.

Ah, the usual PSO debate. Is it necessary? No. Do I use it? Yes. Here's why.

I use either my own recipe or T&H pre shave oil. I have a very thick, wiry beard. Plus I have sensitive skin. I have been using pre-shave oil for years.

Pre shave oil is designed to give your skin an added layer of protection prior to apply a shaving soap or cream lather. The additional benefits of pre-shave oil are that it moisturizes the skin and protects your skin from razor burn or irritation. Pre-shave oil is one of those things that is an individual thing. Some find it helpful and some don't. For me, it has resulted in a better, closer shave without irritation.

I use AOS or Proraso preshave just about every time because I like it and not because I need it. I have never noticed a "clogging" as some have posted, maybe because I normally use a OC or slant. Either way once you get the hang of DE shaving you can lather and shave with just about anything, the tools you use to get you there are more on preference and not necessity.

My favorite pre-shave lube, if I use one at all, it is pure glycerin or coconut oil. Both are odorless, but the glycerin is more water soluble and rinses cleaner. Reputable soaps and creams already contain glycerin and common pre-shave oils in the formulation at various levels. Most do not require any pre-shave oils. There are certain SR's that feel better is I use a pre-shave prep, but most of the time I do not.

I have used PSO for years and have never had a problem with it on my hands, brush, or clogging my razor. The instructions are to use only a few drops and to apply it after you wet your face. If it's clogging your razor or ruining your brush the product you are using is too thick or you are applying too much.

I use AOS sandalwood PSO, but only use it when I'm shaving my neck. I'm still learning/working on technique (been shaving with a DE for 2 weeks). I find that I can do just fine on my face and jaw without it, but my neck is very prone to irritation/ingrowns, so I've only been shaving my neck every other day until things calm down a bit and my technique improves. It seems to help reduce my irritation when I use it; so face days = no PSO, face + neck = PSO. That being said, by the time I run out, I hope my technique has improved enough that I don't need it. But if I do, I doubt I would buy more AOS anyway; I'd likely make my own.

As with nearly all things, the answer is "YMMV". Some guys swear by it, others can't stand it. The only way to find out what camp you're in is to try it and see. Personally, I didn't find much of a benefit from it, although I do wash my face with MRGLO prior to shaving.

Top Bottom