What's new

Is a pipe stand really necessary?

I'm new to pipe smoking and I got a new pipe, a Savinelli 320 and it said in the box that after you clean your pipe you should put it in a pipe stand. Is this suppose to dry it out or something?

Toothpick

Needs milk and a bidet!
Staff member
Maybe helps keep it upright and looks cool. I don’t own a pipe stand. They sit on the desk or in the drawer. I think it’s a personal thing. If you’ve got several nice pipes they would look a lot better setting in a pipe stand than just willy nilly on the desk. Most pipes fall over on their side. Plus if you’ve got a really nice expensive pipe you may want to treat it nicer.

Also, after you are finished smoking your pipe may be hot or warm. Putting on a stand gives it a chance to cool down. I don’t immediately toss my pipes back in the drawer once I finish smoking. I leave them on the desk to cool down first.

But I don’t own a pipe stand so what do I know.

Need, no, looks better, keep the stems upright so moisture drains to the bowl. If/When you get more pipes can keep a rotation. Can keep virginia, aromatics and english pipes separated if you wish. I have a few stands , I also have about 6 pipes on a table that I have been using recently. If you have a spare ashtray inside, can lay it in there so it doesnt roll around and fall off, possibly damaging it.
Enjoy your pipe, keep it clean, dont take it apart while hot.

brandaves

With a great avatar comes great misidentification
They aren't absolutely necessary however they are very nice while smoking to have a place to rest a pipe that is getting hot or just sit it down without dumping the bowl. I guarantee you have something around that will give you an idea about them. Try using a watch to hold up your pipe while smoking. Not necessary, but nice.

steveclarkus

Goose Poop Connoisseur
Not necessary but when you accumulate pipes, you will find a multi pipe stand quite a good idea. I keep my daily pipes in a basket along with tobacco pouches - stems up. Others are on a stand in my bedroom.

I can see where one would be helpful. Instead of digging around a drawer for the one you're looking for, it's right there. And for displaying. But you can absolutely live a long happy life without having one.

Claudel Xerxes

Staff member
The only time I use a pipe stand is when I've packed a bowl, but might not be ready to smoke it. I'll put it on a stand so that any loose bits on top don't fall out.

Kentos

B&B's Dr. Doolittle.
Staff member
I made a rudimentary one to stand my pipes to dry out a couple days before I stick in the pipe drawer.

Stands are not necessary. Stands are nice to set a pipe down. leather ones are nice while smoki g so you can set your pipe down a for a second, there are also folding ones.

I worked in one kitchen that no one cared if I had a half smoked pipe in the office. I had a ceramic pipe stand in it. I would set my still hot but not smoking pipe on it. If I could sneak out for fifteen minutes I'd grab it. Otherwise it held the half burnt bowl in place until I could get it to on the drive home.

I have pipes in the console of my car, sitting on my desk, still in the ash tray needing cleaned out... I have two more in my work bag. I have a 30 pipe stand that holds pipes I've forgotten I own on a dresser in my office.

Oh crap, I just figured out I have 30+ pipes that I've forgotten I own... Don't tell the wife. I haven't counted to plead ignorance.

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
Not necessary, unless you like to get crazy with things like Legos. :)
BA62405C-77CD-4E11-AEDF-2CD4D91E2592.jpeg

Columbo

Mr. Codgers Neighborhood
I'm new to pipe smoking and I got a new pipe, a Savinelli 320 and it said in the box that after you clean your pipe you should put it in a pipe stand. Is this suppose to dry it out or something?

Purely a luxury. Same with travel totes.

One early piper friend of mine would use his shirt pocket until he got home. I can only imagine what his wife had to say on wash days.

But do let them dry out between smokes. A damp pipe can be rather unpleasant.

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
Hmm. I see what I'm doing once my kids grow out of Legos!
My grandchildren haven’t, so I had to buy my own. They are not cheap. That is around $120 of LEGOs, and I have to make room for 5 more pipes. The Peterson at the top of the pick, two Tinsky pokers (2013 LE and its Morta brother), a Brian Orton poked with a tree bark finish, and this year’s LE

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
Purely a luxury. Same with travel totes.

One early piper friend of mine would use his shirt pocket until he got home. I can only imagine what his wife had to say on wash days.

But do let them dry out between smokes. A damp pipe can be rather unpleasant.
Speaking of which, I am probably going to have this guy make a tote for my birthday. The Artisan Pipe Page on Facebook is a dangerous place. I tagged @Price on that post, but he is ignoring me on this matter. :)
68492F9D-3AE2-48A3-857D-CB953F3FD348.png

Top Bottom