What's new

Is a name change needed?

Something’s been bothering me for a while and I thought maybe some of you might like to weigh in. Personally, the term, “wetshaving” just doesn’t ring right with me. It brings to mind visions of torture on the one hand, and a veiled slap at electric razors on the other. Now, I have to concur with the slap because I just never could warm up to the blasted things personally, but the rest of the time, I’ve always been a “wet shaver” even if that was with a cartridge-type razor. For many years, I shaved every day in the shower and that’s about as wet as you can get!

Maybe it doesn’t bother you, but to my mind, it seems that a better moniker might be “blade shaving,” since that’s what we’re really doing and it differentiates the activity from cartridge shaving.

That’s how I see it, but what are your thoughts?

The whole wet shaving thing confused me at first as I always considered anything short of an electric to be wet shaving. I wonder how this name came about to mean shaving with a DE or straight?

Classic Shaving
Traditional Shaving

Those always seemed closer to what we do here rather than wet shaving. They even have electrics you take in the shower so that would be pretty wet shaving as well.

I have never liked the term "Shave Geek" I like "Shave Aficionado" better as well! :thumbup1:

Wetshaving refers to the lather, not the device used for cutting the hair off of your face. Wet means that water is used in the lather instead of chemicals. Technically, you can be a wetshaver and use a multibladed razor.

JMT said:
Wetshaving refers to the lather, not the device used for cutting the hair off of your face. Wet means that water is used in the lather instead of chemicals. Technically, you can be a wetshaver and use a multibladed razor.

Or even an electric:

proxy.php

JMT said:
Ok, that makes sense. Thanks.

JMT said:
'Tis true, but most of us are so astute as to recognize the superior shave associated with a DE razor we have come to equate that with brush/lather/water shave preparation.:wink:

"Pluralitas non est ponenda sine neccesitate'' -Ockham's Razor (translates to "entities should not be multiplied unnecessarily.") That includes blades!:thumbup1:

I like the term wet shaving because it reminds me that I need to get those whiskers sopping wet and soft before I apply the lather. and the lather needs to have some water in order for it to be a good lather. Wow my mind travels a lot.

Wetshaving works for me; why?

1. face wet

2. mug wet

3. brush wet

4. lather wet

5. wet face between passes

No matter what combination of ingredients we use, none of them will work w/o being wet!

Marty

PalmettoB said:
'Tis true, but most of us are so astute as to recognize the superior shave associated with a DE razor we have come to equate that with brush/lather/water shave preparation.:wink:

"Pluralitas non est ponenda sine neccesitate'' -Ockham's Razor (translates to "entities should not be multiplied unnecessarily.") That includes blades!:thumbup1:

I was always under the impression that the brush and creams make the "wetshave" markedly better than if you were to use a DE and goo. I personally don't know as I went full boar when I started (pun not intended, I use a badger hair brush :biggrin: ).

I kind of have to agree here. It just seems weird to me to say wet shaving. Why can't it just be shaving? Electrified shaving never seem to catch on with remington's or norelco's. It just seems cooler to say shaving. Then when someone asks you if you've tried that new 5 blade abomination or sticky gel. Just let them prattle on be cool and tell them calmly that you're happy with your safety or straight razor when you shave and leave it at that. But that's just me.

Top Bottom