What's new

Is a Belgian Enough

In fabulous Bowling Green, Kentucky, left at the Oak tree and right at the holler.

Well, so long as there's a pony express way-station nearby, you should have no trouble finding someone in the US to hone your razor up for you.

I've had several razors honed by Joe Chandler and been happy with the results, but there are lots of other folks here who hone razors - if you ask, I'm sure you'll get a bunch or recommendations.

One thing I have to mention every time I see posts like these...
We are now, in this day and age, looked at as somewhat of an oddity because we actually use Straight razors to shave with, and actually OMG use a brush and real soap.... Why is that? Because a few decades back some smart guy at Gillette said "Gosh why would you spend the time and effort honing and stropping ,when you can just use our new and improved DE razor and buy blades that are already sharp from us" Then they said, "Gee guys why would you bother shaving with just one blade, when you could shave with 2-3-4-5 blades in one pass, then just throw it away" In there somewhere came the true laziness of canned shave cream also...
So every time I see a post saying "Honing is hard, impossible, only for the gifted, and why don't you just send it away" I cringe... Because I think learning to hone and strop is actually more fun than shaving and of course, the pride factor of feeling your hard earned edge on your face...as it snick's off hair... Just my rambling thoughts :001_unsur No offense meant to anybody....

Glen

We are now, in this day and age, looked at as somewhat of an oddity because we actually use Straight razors to shave with, and actually OMG use a brush and real soap.... Why is that? Because a few decades back some smart guy at Gillette said "Gosh why would you spend the time and effort honing and stropping ,when you can just use our new and improved DE razor and buy blades that are already sharp from us" Then they said, "Gee guys why would you bother shaving with just one blade, when you could shave with 2-3-4-5 blades in one pass, then just throw it away" In there somewhere came the true laziness of canned shave cream also...
So every time I see a post saying "Honing is hard, impossible, only for the gifted, and why don't you just send it away" I cringe... Because I think learning to hone and strop is actually more fun than shaving and of course, the pride factor of feeling your hard earned edge on your face...as it snick's off hair... Just my rambling thoughts :001_unsur No offense meant to anybody....

Glen

I really believe that we have essentially the same view on honing. I think that everyone who uses a straight razor should learn to hone their own razors eventually; if they don't I think that they are doing themselves a disservice. In my opinion the most rewarding aspect of straight razor shaving is the pride and sense of self-sufficiency that one gets when they get a BBS shave from a razor that they honed themself. Lynn compared this to catching your own fish, cooking it, and eating it. I also strongly believe that everyone who can learn to shave with a straight razor can also learn to hone as long as they are willing to put the time and effort into learning and perfecting the right technique, and learning to properly assess the sharpness of the blade.

The reason that I and most "experts" recommend sending at least one razor out to be honed by someone who knows what they are doing in the beginning is that it greatly increases the chance of the new user finding early success. This early success will make them much more likely to stick with straight razor shaving in the long run. As you probably know, shaving with a dull straight razor is a very miserable experience and will put off many new users. If a new user takes their razor to a stone then it is almost certain that they will not be able to get the razor anywhere near shave-ready in the beginning. I also feel that the learning curve for honing when a person finally decides to learn to hone will be greatly reduced if the person develops the proper shaving technique with a sharp razor and knows what it feels like to shave with a sharp razor.

I am absolutely going to learn to hone. I agree with these guys though that a benchmark hone by someone with more experience would be very helpful, and also that the art should not be skimped upon. (See my quote)

Perhaps Straight razor users are a little crazy. I personally want to view mine as a companion, a fine instrument that will weather and age with me, something to be taken care of, something that can have a soul.

I actually started wet shaving almost 15 years ago when I was thirteen with my grandfather's Adjustable Gillette. He died a couple of months before I was born, and when my grandmother died a few years later when I was 11, I inherited his stuff.

I have always felt like it was special, like I was connected with my grandfather when I held it. Of course my parents thought I was crazy to use it, and of course I haven't gotten any better.

Maybe I should start a new thread about shaving memories with this post.

Thanks GsSixgun and heavydutysg135

I am absolutely going to learn to hone. I agree with these guys though that a benchmark hone by someone with more experience would be very helpful, and also that the art should not be skimped upon. (See my quote)

Perhaps Straight razor users are a little crazy. I personally want to view mine as a companion, a fine instrument that will weather and age with me, something to be taken care of, something that can have a soul.
I actually started wet shaving almost 15 years ago when I was thirteen with my grandfather's Adjustable Gillette. He died a couple of months before I was born, and when my grandmother died a few years later when I was 11, I inherited his stuff.

I have always felt like it was special, like I was connected with my grandfather when I held it. Of course my parents thought I was crazy to use it, and of course I haven't gotten any better.
Maybe I should start a new thread about shaving memories with this post.

Thanks GsSixgun and heavydutysg135

So well stated... You have the essence of the straight razor right there
And heck were just talking about our morning shave :lol: :lol: :lol:
But I have never looked forward to my time in the morning like I do when I have a wicked sharp straight ready to go!!!:w00t:
Glen

Top Bottom