What's new

irritation?

is it normal to have this amount of irritation in the beginning? what do i need to do to stop this? should i wait till it completely heals before trying again. any help is welcomed

Attachments

• WIN_20210404_12_16_54_Pro.jpg
    WIN_20210404_12_16_54_Pro.jpg
    688.6 KB · Views: 78
  • WIN_20210404_12_17_23_Pro.jpg
    WIN_20210404_12_17_23_Pro.jpg
    711.8 KB · Views: 80
What razor and soap are you using?

It’s likely that you are using too much pressure when shaving. It’s very important to simply put the razor against your skin with no pressure then move it in the direction you are shaving.

I would say wait until the spots have completely disappeared before shaving again if you can do so.

Another factor may be whether you are correctly mapping your hair growth and truly shaving with the grain on your first pass.

A few questions to help you:
  1. What razor and blade are you using?
  2. What soap or cream?
  3. How many passes are you doing ?
  4. Are you going against the grain?
  5. What are you doing after you shave, i.e., post shave procedure.
Here are some general comments.

Hydration is important to get a lubricating lather. So be sure to have sufficient water in your lather. Also, don't cheat on the product.

I have found it helpful to wet my face before each pass. The extra water on my face seems to make my shave smoother.

Irritation usually is caused by poor blade angle and too much pressure on the razor. The neck is a tricky area to shave because keeping the right blade angle and little pressure is a challenge. The usual advice is to let the weight of the razor do the job - not put pressure on the blade. To put that in action I have found that using the two fingers and my thumb to hold the razor with another finger resting on the tip of the handle. This results in holding the razor very lightly with no pressure on the razor. You want to hold the razor as lightly as you can without it falling from your hand. I have found that using the right grip on your razor goes a long way in keeping pressure off of the blade. The wiki deals with holding a razor and may help you. You may have to click on each photo to load it.

For information about blade angle, look here in the wiki.

Ive been at this wet shaving thing for just under a year, so I dont have anything like the experience of others on here. I would say, based on my own journey, that the answer is no it isnt normal and yes you should wait before trying again.

FWIW I had a good deal of soreness at the start, which looked different to your photos. Mine was plain vanilla razor burn but I did get clusters of irritated pores. This got cured by gradually improving technique - i was using way to much pressure and going repeatedly over areas where my poor technique had achieved little. The real major improvement came with hydrating my face with a warm flannel for at least three minutes. (I shower in the morning, shave in the evening). The use of prorasso sensitive pre shave cream also helped greatly.

im using the viking chieftain with their non mild blades i use proraso sandalwood and switch between it and the sensitive skin formation. do you think a milder blade might do a better job?. i try to do 3 passes, first wtg second across the grain and against the grain. i have learned that the you feel more stubble when the face is wet than when its dry so maybe thats something

That’s really looks like you’re either using too much pressure and/or you’re going against the grain. ATG just doesn’t work with some skin and hair types...
1. Work on your technique . No pressure just the weight of the razor
2. map out your beard growth and shave with the grain while you’re learning.

ive used feather and GSB blades since I was a rookie...milder blades didn’t compensate for my lack of technique...if anything , combined with my poor technique, it made my irritation worse

I get that kind of irritation from buffing the same spot over and over during a pass. I try to make a conscious decision to only glide over an area once, only going back over it in the next pass with new lather on it.

I wouldn't worry about blade sharpness. A sharp blade, gently applied is your friend in a milder razor. Try different blades, but don't worry about sharpness. I personally get great results from a variety of blades.

Please, take this advice with a grain of salt and YMMV:

1. Give your face some time to heal.
2. Forego the ATG final pass, altogether, at least until you've eliminated the redness.
3. Only shave where there is shaving cream (avoid multiple passes within a pass). No cheating.
4. Aim for a feather touch.
5. Imagine a one to two inch band along the lower neckline and only shave upward along this band, including your during your second XTG pass (in other words, do not go across the grain on this region). Also, consider avoiding XTG on anything below your jawline for a while until you've improved your technique, which often means learning your face. This translates to only a downward motion on the region immediately below the jawline and upward motion along the aforementioned 1-2 inch band of the lower neckline. (If you eventually do a beard map at some point you can and should modify this step to fit your particular patterns of growth.)

Happy Easter and May God Bless.

Please, take this advice with a grain of salt and YMMV:

1. Give your face some time to heal.
2. Forego the ATG final pass, altogether, at least until you've eliminated the redness.
3. Only shave where there is shaving cream (avoid multiple passes within a pass). No cheating.
4. Aim for a feather touch.
5. Imagine a one to two inch band along the lower neckline and only shave upward along this band, including your during your second XTG pass (in other words, do not go across the grain on this region). Also, consider avoiding XTG on anything below your jawline for a while until you've improved your technique, which often means learning your face. This translates to only a downward motion on the region immediately below the jawline and upward motion along the aforementioned 1-2 inch band of the lower neckline. (If you eventually do a beard map at some point you can and should modify this step to fit your particular patterns of growth.)

Happy Easter and May God Bless.
how do i do a beard map?

Let the hair grow for a couple of days.
This will give your face to heal as well.

Now note the direction of hair growth on cheeks, jaw line, under the jaw line, lower left neck, lower right neck and Adam's Apple region.

WTG means that you'll move your razor stroke in the direction of your natural hair growth AT EACH AREA.

Don't be hasty, each area is unique, divide it into small workable areas and use the strokes to your benefits.

For first few shaves, you can perform 2 WTG pass if you are not satisfied with one WTG pass.

Learn to make good lather, if you believe that you have exceptional lather skills, give it a bit more time.

No pressure on the razor, period.
Multiple no pressure pass and ending with some stubble but no irritation is better than a shave with more pressure on the razor with less stubble and more irritation.

Hydrate your face before lathering, after the shave pampering with aftershave balms is a good way to treat your face.

Use fresh blades after some shaves, atleast till you can know for sure that a blade is good enough for shaving or not.

Rinse the razor thoroughly in between the passes, this will help in clearing the stubble with the sharpness of the blade and less pressure will be required.

how do i do a beard map?
In addition to what has already been offered, maybe the following links may be helpful. Full disclosure, I've never done a true beard map but feel that over time I have learned my beard pattern, and what works for me.

Beard Map How To Video

Beard Map Discussion

Edit:
One final disclosure: I only do two passes followed by a little touch up, if required (WTG and XTG). I do not chase perfection. Repeatable, comfortable results are just as important to me.

Last edited:

Ron R

I survived a lathey foreman
I don't think that is not normal and is a indication of over shaving, there has been a lot of good advice given and so I will repeat some of it.
- Let your neck calm down for a few days(necks are the sensitive area's of the face)
- Go to a 2 pass shave with a some pickups for a while until your technique is dialed in.
- Cold water rinse after each pass and your skin will just love that feeling and it calms the skin.
- less pressure on the razor will help and make sure you have lather or slickness for pickups.
- beard map your grain direction. (Print one off ) I strongly believe in beard mapping when starting out, it will help, 2-3 days growth will tell you the directions. Some folks can not go ATG because of sensitive skin.(picture is a weird looking but is a tool if used.)
beard map (2).jpg

Have some great shaves! Stay and think safe in these times!

That irritation is certainly uncomfortable. Stick with it, it does get better with practice. Please take the recommendations given, & read some of the Wiki pages on B & B. Welcome & enjoy your journey! Please continue posting & asking questions.

im using the viking chieftain with their non mild blades i use proraso sandalwood and switch between it and the sensitive skin formation. do you think a milder blade might do a better job?. i try to do 3 passes, first wtg second across the grain and against the grain. i have learned that the you feel more stubble when the face is wet than when its dry so maybe thats something
Yes, that's something. One can get a good close shave and still feel stubble. Don't try to achieve a BBS finish. Try to achieve a good serviceable shave. After shaving and your post-shave routine let your skin relax around 40 - 50 minutes and much of the stubble feel will be gone.
The milder blade is probably a good idea you had. I would do that, for a while at least.
All the best.

Sent from my SM-A102U using Tapatalk

I get that kind of irritation from buffing the same spot over and over during a pass. I try to make a conscious decision to only glide over an area once, only going back over it in the next pass with new lather on it.
This suggestion should all be in BOLD type! Excellent advice combined with all the input from others.

Yes, that's something. One can get a good close shave and still feel stubble. Don't try to achieve a BBS finish. Try to achieve a good serviceable shave. After shaving and your post-shave routine let your skin relax around 40 - 50 minutes and much of the stubble feel will be gone.
The milder blade is probably a good idea you had. I would do that, for a while at least.
All the best.

Sent from my SM-A102U using Tapatalk
Also, use your non shaving fingers to slightly stretch your skin before making a stroke with the razor. It helps me to twist, turn and tilt my face to get a more comfortable angle for the razor.

For information about blade angle, look here in the wiki.

I second the notion that this might be a blade angle issue. It takes a while to get the angle right when you're used to using cartridge razors, there's a lot of muscle memory to reprogram. Look at those examples in the wiki and read up on "Riding the Cap" - you may be holding the razor with a steep angle so the handle is too close to your face, and the blade is scraping rather than slicing the hair away.

Also while still learning, turn off the radio and turn off the tap water. The sound the blade makes while cutting can give you a lot feedback on your technique.

Either way, give your face a day or two to calm down, and make sure that neck skin is stretched really tight before shaving.

is it normal to have this amount of irritation in the beginning? what do i need to do to stop this? should i wait till it completely heals before trying again. any help is welcomed

is it normal to have this amount of irritation in the beginning?
Sadly for a large number of newbies Yes. Especially for dudes with sensitive neck skin. I shave full face and head. Neck skin ultra sensitive skin, face skin sensitive, head skin normal. Transitioning from carts to DE my neck skin in early shaves was irritated, bleeding and very painful. Can you change this Yes. Can you learn to do it in a dozen shaves NO.

what do i need to do to stop this?
Develop good shave practices and develop good technique. Start with the basic 3 pass WTG, XTG, ATG shave.
When you can do this shave effectively with good comfort you can than refine your shave and style.

Oaky maybe you just want to know where you will end up. Go straight there and forget the preliminaries. Here it is. Using the sharpest blade possible. Do whatever you need to do to keep that very sharp edge Off Your Skin. If the blade does not touch your skin, how can it get irritated? Building a shave is no different than building a house. Lousy foundation - Lousy house. Presently I use DE and I’m learning straights right now. I continue to respect all basic principles in a basic shave as above. There are no short cuts. Sharpest blade possible, lightest touch possible. This applies to all and any type of razor or blade. Practicing the fundamentals and developing technique will get you there.

should i wait till it completely heals before trying again.
There isn’t anyone in this community or any other that can shave irritated skin without increasing skin damage. What can you do? In the early going you may want to explore pre shave products for skin nourishment and protection. Gentler, soaps, brushes. Always keep the fundamentals in mind. A shave is a three part event. Pre- Shave prep and routine. The Shave. Post- Shave routine. You should explore pre and post shave soothing and healing tonics, lotions and balms. They will aid in healing and soothing shaved skin. Electric razors, Carts, DE, SE, & SR‘s all remove skin when used to shave, in my experience. I have not used SE but suspect they are the same.
Carts - Cartridge razor
DE - double edge safety razor
SE - single edge safety razor
SR - Straight razors
There is an abundance of advice and information in this and other communities. It took me a year to go from far worst skin than yours to an ATG Single Pass face and head shave. I am learning straights now and continue to respect and use the basic fundamentals. My best advice is. In the early going try to limit changing products as much as possible. Base your shaves on comfort above all other considerations. Practice leads to better technique. It will fall into place. This was the shortest route to my repeatable comfortable irritation free shaves.

Last edited:
Top Bottom