What's new

Irritation

Do you experience irritation from shaving?

• Yes ... regularly

Votes: 6 10.9%
  • No

Votes: 14 25.5%
  • Yes ... but rarely

Votes: 35 63.6%

• Total voters
My hypothesis (for my sample size of 1, namely me as it pertains to irritation).

My most irritation free shaves came from a Muhle R41. I got more irritation from many mild razors. In my case I think mild razors can cause it if you try to get a close shave with them. You need to use a little more pressure to do so. I think that pressure creates a wave of skin that somehow gets the skin abraded more as the hair is shaved.

On the other hand a blade forward, efficient razor doesn't need any pressure to give a bbs, you feel the blade on the face and don't have any need for any additional pressure. I think you avoid the wave of skin thing.

When I borrowed my neighbors R41 for a month, comparing that to milder razors I would say the difference is this...
R41 any discomfort occurs DURING the shave, slight tugging at times, but once done your face is hairless and my skin felt as comfortable as if I had not shaved. Other razors were the opposite, super smooth, no blade feel during the shave, once done, there was some very mild or greater irritations depending on the razor.

Chandu, I suspect some of the difference is psychological. When using a Muhle R41, you might rationalize that this is a very efficient, aggressive razor so you are careful of your technique, maintain the proper angle and minimize pressure. With a mild razor, you might rationalize that the razor is so mild that it won't cut you, so you are not as careful about your technique and even apply extra pressure to get a closer shave. Because a mild razor normally has a very small blade gap, it will only function properly in a narrow range of shave angle. If you vary outside that angle, you have to add pressure to get it to shave closely. At the proper angle, you can get a close shave without pressure and without irritation. I always use a mild razor with a super sharp blade for my clean-up pass to get the residual stubble missed in earlier passes.

Chandu

I Waxed The Badger.
Chandu, I suspect some of the difference is psychological. When using a Muhle R41, you might rationalize that this is a very efficient, aggressive razor so you are careful of your technique, maintain the proper angle and minimize pressure. With a mild razor, you might rationalize that the razor is so mild that it won't cut you, so you are not as careful about your technique and even apply extra pressure to get a closer shave. Because a mild razor normally has a very small blade gap, it will only function properly in a narrow range of shave angle. If you vary outside that angle, you have to add pressure to get it to shave closely. At the proper angle, you can get a close shave without pressure and without irritation. I always use a mild razor with a super sharp blade for my clean-up pass to get the residual stubble missed in earlier passes.
That could be a factor too, but at the end of my month with the R41 I was zipping it around like a sports car.

I have sensitive skin but only get irritation rarely now, usually when I'm trying something new. With equipment I know well, hardly ever.

Top Bottom