What's new

Irritation when shaving every 1-2 days

A smooth face after a shave means you have shaved your whiskers below the skin's surface. The whiskers grow back at varying rates. For those hairs that are dormant or slow-growing, the skin will close up over them. Before they erupt, they will push the skin up into a bump. When you shave over them, you decapitate these bumps, resulting in blood. Thus, the blood looks like a field of red dots on your face.
You can minimize this problem with several techniques that reduce, eliminate, or at least relax these bumps into benign terrain.
First, the longer you wait, the more hairs will have erupted by the time you shave. The first day is the worst, the second better, and the third much better.
A hot massaging face wash will exfoliate, helping skin to relax and whisker to emerge. Follow with a hot, not cold rinse.
An old barber's trick is hot towel compresses on the face and neck. This relaxes the skin, opens pores, allows whiskers to emerge and softens any remaining bumps.
A slick, lubricating pre-shave can help the razor avoid cutting any bumps.
A good lather that holds moisture on the face for the entire shave is essential. No foam. Don't let the skin dry. Re-lather if necessary.
Cutting only with the direction of growth will help because even the bumps are angled in this way. If this is successful, you can try across the growth, but don't try against the growth anywhere you have this problem.
As others have noted, a light touch overall is another key technique.
Good blade choice and reduced exposure play a role, but a sharp blade is essential. Dull blades that tug will inevitably cut the skin.
Finally, follow with a post-shave balm as tight, dry skin is a major cause of razor bumps.
If you have larger bumps from ingrown hairs, that is another matter, not addressed here.
With these techniques, you should be able to safely shave every day.
Individual results always vary, and you have to take any recommendations on these forums through a trail and error phase to find what works best for you.

I've been running into this issue. I believe the cause is a dull blade mostly. First shave was solid minus a weeper caused by me not being careful when I knocked a mole. Second shave no weeper, but I got moostash area knicks during ATG pass.

Then on the 3rd shave, I knocked myself in the moostash area on just a XTG pass, and added additional mayhem in the ATG pass. I'm using a Feather AS-D2 razor using first blade from pack that came with razor

Yes I do have course wiry hair too. I'm new to DE shaving, so it's all a learning experience. But it's becoming apparent, that Feather blades don't last long. When I did research into this, I pulled up lots of posts from others with my sane hair type, having the same issue.

We get 2 to 3 shaves, then the blade is done. There is a post on this board from a guy who was using one of those fancy and expensive microscope deals where he looked at the blades I'm extreme magnification.

In his testing, both with a new blade and after a use or several, he saw obvious imperfections in the blade makeup, such as coatings, and edge retention. I think Feather blades share something in common with mower blades.

As a mechanic, I know all too well, if I sharpen a mower blade to be razor sharp, it will cut your lawn perfect first time. But then the edges will be rounded off and full after the first cut, and will do a terrible job on the next cut.

This is why when we sharpen a mower blade, we only touch up the edges a bit, we don't aim for razor sharp, it's all about edge retention. I have to change my Feather blade before my next shave.

My last shave I gave myself multiple bloody red DOTS in the moostash area, and in area of face cheeks that meet towards the neck line. I've heard some other brands last longer in the Feather AS-D2, but are not as sharp from the beginning.

Either way, all of this is worth investigating on a deeper level. But from what I'm finding, even as the beginner I am, I'm proving that guy right who looked at the Feather blades with his fancy microscope.
I have read conclusive proof that a razor blade is sharper on the second, and usually third, shave. I wish I had the source.
My answer to the question is to sort out which blade goes with which razor. Derby blades are excellent with an aggressive razor because they are smooth. They are useless with a mild razor.
I shave every day and don't get a rash except when I'm trying a new razor. We humans are superior to machines, and have to work within their limitations. They won't do the same for us.

I cannot finish a shave w Derby any razor (well haven't tried all of mine.... maybe 3-4 and that was all). Pulling, hurts....
A Gillette blade might fix your symptoms

Top Bottom