What's new

Irritation in the same place

Ok I have been easing myself into all aspects of wet shaving, and have recently decided I'm going to stop using cartridge all together, as I finally got my gillette se. The shaves are super smooth but I notice I am getting irritation on my neck in the same place every time, I have mapped my face as far as what direction the hair grows so I can go wtg first and it hasn't helped, I have not shaved over a weekend to let my face heal up in case that was the problem. But it's always on my neck just below the jaw line. Any idea what it could be? My technique I'm assuming. But I'm used to a straight razor and I have been using the same general process just a different angle, works for the rest of my face. Maybe someone has encountered this, please help! Thanks

JFurlong, are you using any pre-shave oil or face scrub prior to shaving? I ran into a similar problem when I began wet shaving in mid February. The Neutrogena Razor Defense Face Scrub product helped me immensely. Further, the ShaveWiki portal will lead you to instructions on making your own pre-shave oil. Whether you are SE or DE, welcome to this enjoyable world!

Joey,

I had the same issue when I started out. Razor burn is almost always a result of too much pressure, too many passes or not enough lather cushion and lubrication.

Here's what worked for me:

I spent more time on prep. This meant more deliberately washing the affected areas with soap, water using a washcloth in the shower.
I realized that I was repeatedly shaving the same area, over and over because I was not effectively hitting it with the blade. I learned the trick of gently stretching the skin of those trouble areas while focusing on keeping my wrist locked and using my arm to pull the blade against my beard.
I also realized that having come close to the celebrated BBS, that I was focusing too much on obtaining that holy grail. I instead began shooting for an irritation DFS. These actions improved my shave dramatically and made shaving much more enjoyable.

The area of your neck that you describe is EXTREMELY sensitive on many people (myself included). For starters, as you are learning, I'd suggest that you only do 1 WTG pass there, and perhaps an XTG pass if you must. Absolutely don't do ATG. Be sure to use very gentle pressure and do not ever stroke the same place twice without lather. Good prep is also going to help you a lot, if you don't do it already.

Top Bottom