What's new

Irritation after using alum bar

Then that's probably it, since the irritated spots are where the beard grows in those swirly patterns you mentioned :001_smile I guess I have to accept the little irritation I get with the alum bar or settle for a more comfortable but not as close shave.

Those swirly spots are the exact reason I switched to DE/SE/ST shaving. I was getting terrible burn in those areas. It took awhile, but I got to a point where I can get a very close shave in those spots (I wouldn't say BBS, but definitely DFS) without issue now.

Sounds like you're well on your way to getting there, too!! Congrats.

Not sure what blades you're using, but you'll likely find that certain blades will do better in those areas.

Those swirly spots are the exact reason I switched to DE/SE/ST shaving. I was getting terrible burn in those areas. It took awhile, but I got to a point where I can get a very close shave in those spots (I wouldn't say BBS, but definitely DFS) without issue now.

Sounds like you're well on your way to getting there, too!! Congrats.

Not sure what blades you're using, but you'll likely find that certain blades will do better in those areas.

The main reason I switched was that I got tired of ingrown hairs, but I also used to have a very hard time with those spots with cartridge razors. I can't ever get a BBS shave there, either, but a DFS yes. Since I am still relatively new, I have been using a variety of blades and I agree that some work better than others. In my experience, I have had the best results with Feather, Personna Med Prep, Gillette 7 o'Clock yellow and Shark. The only blade that was, for me, absolutely terrible was a Lord: those spots became so irritated that I had to go to the pharmacy and get a cream to get rid of the rash.

I get some irritation from alum if I don't wash it off quickly or thoroughly enough. So it is possible. But if you're getting in the shower afterward, I can't help but think that it must be getting washed off just fine.

It's probably just some razor burn that is taking a little while to really make itself known, probably because it's not that bad.

Sometimes the alum just won't work for everyone. I have that same problem, is I use it right after a shave my skin gets lots of irritation and redness. It took me awhile to realize that it was the alum causing this. I stopped using it after a shave and the problem went away. Now I use warm then cold water, followed by witch hazel. No problems like before. I can use the alum several hours later without any problem, and sometimes I'll do that because the alum does have antiseptic properties to it. I just can't use it right after I'm done shaving.

If no irritation occurs if you don't use alum, then you've answered your own question. I used it initially, but have since cut it out from my routine, not because of any issues with it, simply that a good cold water rinse works just as well for me.

I like this answer. I never warmed up to the alum. I rinse with cold water, then splash on a little cheap witch hazel. I let my own hand and eyes give me all the feedback I need on whether I've gotten a good shave or not. Alum is overrated IMO.

Whenever I am done shaving, I pass my alum bar all over my face and then wait for a couple of minutes before taking a shower. While it does sting a little (or a lot, when I first tried my new R41), it is very bearable. The problem is that, by the time I am done showering, my lower neck shows a fair amount of irritation, with a few patches of skin visibly reddish. Is this normal and expected? Does it mean that I am applying too much pressure to those areas that become irritated? Could it be an allergic reaction to the alum bar itself? I don't ever get this irritation if I don't use the alum bar. I usually apply a layer of Proraso Pre & Post Shave Cream after the shower and by the time I wake up (I shave before bed), the irritation is gone.

I read your posting & waiting until many of the more experienced folks weighed in on the alum issue before putting my $.02 in FWIW. I had that exact problem on my lower left neck area and after many reviews of my shaving gear etc, I figured out it was in my technique along with the beard growth pattern there! So what I did about 5 shaves ago was going over that area much more sloooooowly, WTG & slight XTG but not as much as before and zero, nada feedback from alum or AS.

Gene

How? I'm right handed and was not getting that area properly and couldn't seem to get it using left hand

I read your posting & waiting until many of the more experienced folks weighed in on the alum issue before putting my $.02 in FWIW. I had that exact problem on my lower left neck area and after many reviews of my shaving gear etc, I figured out it was in my technique along with the beard growth pattern there! So what I did about 5 shaves ago was going over that area much more sloooooowly, WTG & slight XTG but not as much as before and zero, nada feedback from alum or AS.

Gene

How? I'm right handed and was not getting that area properly and couldn't seem to get it using left hand

Gene, thanks for the feedback! After reading all the responses, I think I figured out what I was doing wrong and what I should do differently. First of all, that area of my neck has always been a little sensitive, even when I used to shave with cartridges. Second of all, I had recently shaved with my new R41 Grande, which is very aggressive and irritated my skin more than usual. After three shaves with the R41 (which were increasingly better), I decided to go back to my trusted Feather for a few days, so that the irritation would clear up once and for all. Finally, I realized that the hair on that part of the neck grows in a couple of different directions and I was doing too many, unnecessary touch-ups, all in the same direction. Having mapped my growth a little more rigorously, I have concluded than the XTG pass is almost useless for me if I move from ear to nose (or vice versa) in a straight line. During my last shave, I did two XTG passes, one moving up & right, and one moving down & left. With this technique, most of the stubble on my neck is gone and I don't need to do so many touch-ups. Even more important, when I used the alum bar, the irritation on the neck was almost non-existent (it was completely gone by the time I was done showering). I will have to try again to make sure it wasn't just a fluke.

I have also heard that Alum Block is good for skin, unfortunately not for my skin, it gets red and irritated.Now i only use it for nicks and cuts to stop the blood.When I finish shave i splash my face with cold,really cold water,I leave a little bit water on my face and then apply "Nivea sensitive balm" no redness no irritation.

Top Bottom