What's new

Irritation after using alum bar

Whenever I am done shaving, I pass my alum bar all over my face and then wait for a couple of minutes before taking a shower. While it does sting a little (or a lot, when I first tried my new R41), it is very bearable. The problem is that, by the time I am done showering, my lower neck shows a fair amount of irritation, with a few patches of skin visibly reddish. Is this normal and expected? Does it mean that I am applying too much pressure to those areas that become irritated? Could it be an allergic reaction to the alum bar itself? I don't ever get this irritation if I don't use the alum bar. I usually apply a layer of Proraso Pre & Post Shave Cream after the shower and by the time I wake up (I shave before bed), the irritation is gone.

Yes, most likely you are applying too much pressure and/or your blade angle is off. Try WH instead of the alum and see if that helps.

If you want to try something that is inexpensive and very soothing, mix a pea size amount of hair conditioner in a travel bottle and then fill it with WH. Shake before you apply it. I did this when my Thayers spilled and I bought some generic WH whose smell did not appeal to me. I added some Pantene hair conditioner to minimize the smell and much to my surprise the combo of the too was very soothing.

Yes, most likely you are applying too much pressure and/or your blade angle is off.

+1 IMHO

I gave up using alum that way as it dried my skin out. Now, cold water rinse and ASB, great result, smooth face! (I always shave after my daily shower, in the morning).

Cheers!

Stinging with alum is a sign that technique is your issue. You could try not using alum if you suspect that you're having a reaction to the alum.

Alum is a very powerful astringent and can burn a lot if your shaving technique is off. If it burns too much I would put the alum away until your technique is better, then give it another try.

I would make sure your using Potassium alum and not ammonium alum as I tried to go cheap and use one of the ones designed for deodorant use and it did give me some irritation/rash. I always rinse my face well with cold water a few minutes after application and then apply witch hazel, followed by some balm.

I started with the Osma block but now I favor Razo Rock.

Is there a reason as to why you shave before you shower as opposed to after? Try showering before the shave and see what happens. Shower, shave, alum, cool water rinse.

If no irritation occurs if you don't use alum, then you've answered your own question. I used it initially, but have since cut it out from my routine, not because of any issues with it, simply that a good cold water rinse works just as well for me.

Yes, most likely you are applying too much pressure and/or your blade angle is off. Try WH instead of the alum and see if that helps.

If you want to try something that is inexpensive and very soothing, mix a pea size amount of hair conditioner in a travel bottle and then fill it with WH. Shake before you apply it. I did this when my Thayers spilled and I bought some generic WH whose smell did not appeal to me. I added some Pantene hair conditioner to minimize the smell and much to my surprise the combo of the too was very soothing.

I would be ready to blame it on my technique - it is just that I very rarely have any nicks or weepers (with my Feather, at least) and the skin feels just fine after the shave until I use the alum bar. I will have to try to the hair conditioner with WH mix :001_smile

Stinging with alum is a sign that technique is your issue. You could try not using alum if you suspect that you're having a reaction to the alum.

My understanding after reading many posts is that a minimum of stinging is not that uncommon or unexpected. In my case, the stinging sensation is very moderate and only lasts for a few seconds, but the lower part of my neck (and only that area) seems to get irritated. I did try before not using the alum and I had absolutely no irritation.

Alum is a very powerful astringent and can burn a lot if your shaving technique is off. If it burns too much I would put the alum away until your technique is better, then give it another try.

Alum burned quite a bit the first few times I shaved with a DE razor, and also the first time I tried the R41 Grande, but other than that it isn't that bad.

Is there a reason as to why you shave before you shower as opposed to after? Try showering before the shave and see what happens. Shower, shave, alum, cool water rinse.

The reason is that I don't like having shaving cream a bit all over my face, so I shower to rinse it all off. I always wash my face with an exfoliating cleanser before I shave and make sure that the skin is well hydrated. I did try before to shave after showering, but couldn't really tell a difference.

If no irritation occurs if you don't use alum, then you've answered your own question. I used it initially, but have since cut it out from my routine, not because of any issues with it, simply that a good cold water rinse works just as well for me.

I guess I should have asked if anybody else happened to be irritated by alum :001_smile I use the alum bar because I live in a place with hot & humid weather all year around, an ideal environment for bacteria to thrive. Using alum makes me a little more confident that I won't get another case of pseudofolliculitis barbae (I also wash my face and rinse the blade with hot water, then let it cool down, before shaving).

I would make sure your using Potassium alum and not ammonium alum as I tried to go cheap and use one of the ones designed for deodorant use and it did give me some irritation/rash. I always rinse my face well with cold water a few minutes after application and then apply witch hazel, followed by some balm.

I started with the Osma block but now I favor Razo Rock.

I can't find the one I bought online anymore, but I am pretty sure that it is potassium alum - I will need to confirm it though. Thanks for the tip!

The reason is that I don't like having shaving cream a bit all over my face, so I shower to rinse it all off. I always wash my face with an exfoliating cleanser before I shave and make sure that the skin is well hydrated. I did try before to shave after showering, but couldn't really tell a difference.

Have you tried not using an exfoliant first, or tried an alcohol based splash in place of the alum?

Also, just curious, are the red patches in the same spot every time (or only where you go against the grain)?

Have you tried not using an exfoliant first, or tried an alcohol based splash in place of the alum?

Also, just curious, are the red patches in the same spot every time (or only where you go against the grain)?

I tried without the exfoliant (I used a very mild one, so no difference there) but not an alcohol-based splash.

The red patches are always in the same 2-3 spots, every single time. If the problem is my technique then I must conclude that, as bad as it might be, it is remarkably consistent.

I tried without the exfoliant (I used a very mild one, so no difference there) but not an alcohol-based splash.

The red patches are always in the same 2-3 spots, every single time. If the problem is my technique then I must conclude that, as bad as it might be, it is remarkably consistent.

The lower part of the neck is a very common area to have this kind of trouble. It's also an area that's much more likely to have swirly beard patterns and more sensitive skin. Maybe those 2-3 spots are where you're going across or against the grain just a bit too much and/or with too much pressure and it's causing mild skin trauma. One constant in the equation is the direction your whiskers grow. So you can change a lot of your routine, but if you're always going in a certain direction on those spots, they'll always be mildly scuffed. The alum might magnify the mild irritation only in the sensitive neck spots while not causing issues on the rest of your face.

The lower part of the neck is a very common area to have this kind of trouble. It's also an area that's much more likely to have swirly beard patterns and more sensitive skin. Maybe those 2-3 spots are where you're going across or against the grain just a bit too much and/or with too much pressure and it's causing mild skin trauma. One constant in the equation is the direction your whiskers grow. So you can change a lot of your routine, but if you're always going in a certain direction on those spots, they'll always be mildly scuffed. The alum might magnify the mild irritation only in the sensitive neck spots while not causing issues on the rest of your face.

Then that's probably it, since the irritated spots are where the beard grows in those swirly patterns you mentioned :001_smile I guess I have to accept the little irritation I get with the alum bar or settle for a more comfortable but not as close shave.

Cold water rinse!

I would LOVE to do that, but here in Singapore, cold water isn't really that cold... I would have to get a bowl and put some ice in it, or get it straight from the fridge. Maybe I will give it a shot one of these days - thanks!:biggrin1:

Top Bottom