What's new

Irritated, WHY?

I don't understand. I'm hoping someone can enlighten me. I shave just about 2 days ago and what I thought was a great shave went well. Though this being said it was only my second shave EVER with a DE. So I mapped out my face and decided to do a WTG then a XTG followed and finishing with a ATG. This being a first time going ATG. I acquired 2 nicks and took a styptic pencil to them and actually just rubbed it all over hopefully getting any nicks I didn't see maybe. So I finished up with cool water, a pat down and then Aqua Velva AS. Once it started to dry up my skin I used a non fragrance moisturizer to bring moisture back. 2 days pass and I feel good. I woke this morning and there are red bumps some with white centers to them. I'm totally confused. Should I stop shaving ATG? Or is it just my techniques and learning curve?

So, you thought that you could master this in 2 shaves while everyone else takes 3 to 6 months?

No and I never said that. I just want to know the cause. If it's my techniques then I will most definitely change it, if it's maybe a blade issue I'll get different ones, if it's just my skin being super sensitive to ATG then I'll stop. I even stated that I am not proficient and asked if this was all due to a learning curve. Positive feedback would be great, or at least constructive criticism. If you can't give either, then why comment.

People will likely need to get a bit more info to help you diagnose this (i.e. what type of razor, blade, and soap/cream are you using). Additionally, if you are using any products that you've never used before, you may need to consider the possibility of a low-grade allergic reaction. I'll defer to the experienced members here, but chances are that you're just experiencing the same frustration that most of us newbies do. I'm only a month in, but some days I have great shaves where my neck is comfortable, and other days I get neck irritation on par or worse than I'd get with a cartridge. Give it time, and learn technique from the posts here and in other forums. Chances are you'll see an improvement in the coming weeks or months (not necessarily days).

Like everything else, it's all learning curve.
Lay off the ATG for a while and stop pressing. I know you're pressing, everyone does at first :)

BTW, you don't need to rub a styptic all over your face, they're mainly used to close up nicks, cuts and gushers.
A little Witch Hazel or Alum block might help instead.

People will likely need to get a bit more info to help you diagnose this (i.e. what type of razor, blade, and soap/cream are you using). Additionally, if you are using any products that you've never used before, you may need to consider the possibility of a low-grade allergic reaction. I'll defer to the experienced members here, but chances are that you're just experiencing the same frustration that most of us newbies do. I'm only a month in, but some days I have great shaves where my neck is comfortable, and other days I get neck irritation on par or worse than I'd get with a cartridge. Give it time, and learn technique from the posts here and in other forums. Chances are you'll see an improvement in the coming weeks or months (not necessarily days).

To answer what I'm using,

Edwin Jagger DE89L loaded with a Derby
Soap is 30 Degree Shave Soap sandalwood

Thanks for the positive feedback.

BTW, you don't need to rub a styptic all over your face, they're mainly used to close up nicks, cuts and gushers.
A little Witch Hazel or Alum block might help instead.

I'll work on not pressing maybe holding the razor toward the back of the handle will help. I did run the styptic all over, would it be better to use a witch hazel or Alum block for it?

Again I really appreciate both your positive responses unlike the first one posted above. Still really new trying to lock in a technique and I know it will take months of dedication. Thanks again.

I don't understand. I'm hoping someone can enlighten me. I shave just about 2 days ago and what I thought was a great shave went well. Though this being said it was only my second shave EVER with a DE. So I mapped out my face and decided to do a WTG then a XTG followed and finishing with a ATG. This being a first time going ATG. I acquired 2 nicks and took a styptic pencil to them and actually just rubbed it all over hopefully getting any nicks I didn't see maybe. So I finished up with cool water, a pat down and then Aqua Velva AS. Once it started to dry up my skin I used a non fragrance moisturizer to bring moisture back. 2 days pass and I feel good. I woke this morning and there are red bumps some with white centers to them. I'm totally confused. Should I stop shaving ATG? Or is it just my techniques and learning curve?

I would skip ATG for now. Let your skin settle down and you can try again. Razor bumps can take a day or two to show up. I did find that I got them when using creams and when I used blades I don't like. Balms seem to increase the propensity of this occurring as well for me, so I'd see if skipping your moisturizer helps. I'll echo others and say that you can skip the styptic unless you've got a real good nick. I usually use cold water to seal things up and cool my skin if I got heavy handed.

So, you thought that you could master this in 2 shaves while everyone else takes 3 to 6 months?

Poor form sir, a response I would not expect from B&B.

Last edited:
I would stay away from the ATG pass for at least the first month. See if that helps with the bump issue. It could also be the moisturizer, but I would try one thing at a time and give it a couple of weeks. I have very oily skin, very large follicles, and large, open pores. I can't even use non-comedogenic lotions or balms. Any time I try, my pores clog up and I start getting breakouts. When applied very sparingly, oils have been a better solution for me to keeping a good balance between oily and dry skin. It's going to take some time and some trial and error to figure out what works best for you.

Could also be caused by one or more of the following:

1. The moisturizer you're using
2. Irritation from a shirt collar
3. Irritation from bedding while you sleep
4. Reaction to laundry products
5. Reaction to hygiene products

IMHO its the pressure that causes most of the problems like you've described. Back way off on the pressure and the shaves should get better. :thumbup1:

Hello and welcome to B&B, Devin. This is a great forum full of friendly, helpful shavers. You'll learn a lot here.

Sounds like irritation. To fix, diagnose the source. Sounds like too much pressure on the ATG passes to me. I agree with skipping them for 2-3 days to allow healing.

Also, your angle may be off. Start with razor cap flush on your face, then slowly lower your arm until you feel the blade engage whiskers. Typically, that's a 30 degree angle. Much more than this and you are scraping the bade across your face instead of shaving.

Maybe the soap is not for you, but don't change that yet.

Good luck and keep us posted.

Welcome to B&B.

DE shaving has a learning curve and with practice and patience it will get better.

Also, DE shaving differs from cartridge shaving in that you must be sure you are not putting any pressure on the blade. Let the weight of the razor do the work for you. I use two fingers and my thumb to hold the razor with another finger resting on the tip of the handle. This results in holding the razor very lightly with no pressure on the razor. You want to hold the razor as lightly as you can without it falling from your hand. This post may help you. Finally, for blade angle, look here.

Allow me to rephrase :)

After just 2 shaves, the answer to the question "what am I doing wrong?" is "Everything. But don't worry, you'll get better over time." That's how a learning curve works.

There's literally no advice anyone can give you now that will make concrete difference. Presumably you've watched the videos and read the tutorials, just work on making each shave a little better than the one before.

After 2 or 3 months, come back and ask specific questions, "I'm doing X and having trouble with Y." We can help diagnose and cure those problems then.

Ditto to the remarks about pressure and blade angle--these are really easy to get wrong if you're coming from carts.

In addition, remember to never shave an area that doesn't have lather on it; resist the temptation to go over and over a spot without re-lathering.

One thing that took me a while to figure out is that a given brand of blade can give you a close, comfortable shave--and irritation, too. Stick with one that works well enough for you while you're improving your technique, then keep trying others to see if you can find one that gives you a good shave without the irritation.

Did I mention no pressure? :laugh:

Top Bottom