What's new

Irritated skin on the neck

Although my shaves are getting better and beter, I still get some irritated skin on the lower part of my neck. It is nothing like the problems I got with cartridges, but it is there. Being new to DE shaving I have not yet tried a lot of different brands of soaps, blades etc. So far I have only used Wilkinson blades in order not to change all the variables at the same time. My plan is to start trying out blades next week. I will start with Lord Super Stainless that I found in a nearby shop. What I would like to ask all you veteran DE shavers is; How much difference is there between different blades?

I'm just starting down the blade road. After using just Derby's, I'm using a pack of Sharks right now. So far not enough difference for me to notice, so far, but I can't wait to try some Feathers! )

I want to caution you about about your lather and pressure. A too dry lather, not relathering between touchups and using too much pressure caused 99% of my irritation. When I got a thick, wet and slick (really slick) lather and finally learned that "light" means really light, all my irritation disappeared! Good luck!!

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
I'm just starting down the blade road. After using just Derby's, I'm using a pack of Sharks right now. So far not enough difference for me to notice, so far, but I can't wait to try some Feathers! )

I want to caution you about about your lather and pressure. A too dry lather, not relathering between touchups and using too much pressure caused 99% of my irritation. When I got a thick, wet and slick (really slick) lather and finally learned that "light" means really light, all my irritation disappeared! Good luck!!

+2

The best blade on the planet will not give you a good shave with lousy prep, bad lather or poor technique.

Make sure that those areas are covered and you should get much better shaves with just about any blade.

Some blades are better than others, so a sample pack is always a good thing.

check which way the hair grows on the bottom of your neck. I need to do upward strokes along the bottom (WTG); that revelation made the biggest single improvement to my shaving.

My shaves are getting better and better but I have noticed something peculiar. Every time I get a really good shave the shave the next day seems to cause more irritation again. My strategy to deal with this will be to do only WTG passes the day after a real close shave to let the skin rest.

Another strange phenomenon is that I can sometimes shave with very little irritation on the neck, but if I skip shaving for a day the irritation comes back when the hair starts growing back. Why does this happen? Once I shave again the irritation goes away again.

Has anybody else had these problems?

For me, prep and blades are everything. A shower is best, but at the very least, some good pre-soak with hot water! I've been using Derby blades, and they work great the first couple shaves, but they seem to lose it for me after that. I think getting the sharpest I can will make my blade changes a little less.

Oh, also take your time, and figure out which way your neck hair grows you can approach it from the right angle.

This is what has worked for me so far; good luck!

check which way the hair grows on the bottom of your neck. I need to do upward strokes along the bottom (WTG); that revelation made the biggest single improvement to my shaving.

+many. On my neck (throat) I actually have to shave the bottom half SN and the top half NS in order to go WTG. When I discovered that growth pattern :)cursing:) I lost a tremendous amount of irritation.

My shaves are improving. I have examined the hair growth direction on my neck and found some interesting patterns. Today I shaved and avoided going ATG anywhere on the neck. This resulted in a shave with VERY little irritation on the neck. I seem to get a little more on the left side though. I will work on the technique. Under my chin WTG and XTG strokes do not seem to do the job though. I think I will do some ATG work under my chin but keep avoiding it on the rest of the face. I almost never have any skin problems under the chin, even when shaving ATG.

Top Bottom