What's new

Iron Rangers vs. Alden Indy vs. Wolverine 1000 mile vs. Other

musicman1951

three-tu-tu, three-tu-tu
I’ve been trying to break them in during my last couple of ER shifts and it’s been murder. Tonight, however, has been much better and I expect another couple of weeks should about have them licked.

Wow, you have my sincere sympathies. I would never purchase boots I had to break in, but I hope they are comfortable soon and serve you well.

DON'T break them in at work. Wear them a few hours around the house or to go for a walk every day, then put them up for the night. Gradually increase the time you wear them until they're more or less broken in.

I wear a 9.5 in my running shoes, Sperry Gold Cups, Asolos, etc.

I got the RWs in an 8.
I’m in the same boat. I wear a size 12 or 12.5 in nike and or under armour with athletic socks and no issues. My 10.5 wolverines and red wings in a 10.5 were huge. I ordered them online so didn’t wanna go through the hassle of returns so I put a thin flat insole in and wear boot socks, it works. I wore a 10.5 D made in the USA red wing for working in college and they were snug until broken in, I guess the sizes have changed.

DON'T break them in at work. Wear them a few hours around the house or to go for a walk every day, then put them up for the night. Gradually increase the time you wear them until they're more or less broken in.

+1
Plus you never want to wear them everyday even if they are broken in. The day off is good for the shoe and your feet while breaking in new shoes.

I've been looking at boots for awhile. Its tough to find my size and width(13 EE or W) in a style I like for a semi-dressy casual boot. I've read some good things about Thursday Captain boots and they are about $200. Anybody have any experience with these??

I've been looking at boots for awhile. Its tough to find my size and width(13 EE or W) in a style I like for a semi-dressy casual boot. I've read some good things about Thursday Captain boots and they are about $200. Anybody have any experience with these??

Check out this thread:

Thursday Boot Company

Also keep in mind that Nordstroms has iron Rangers on sale for ~$240 quite often.

Another brand that's been getting good reviews is Beckett Simonon:

Welcome to the World of Beckett Simonon

Bit more dressy.

Ownership of three pairs of Redwing boots in 9W, one of which is a steel toe - still going after 12 years of daily visits to the manufacturing floor and many full days working out on the floor, does not qualify me as any kind of expert. The steel toes are ratty and worn but they have been the most durable and most comfortable boots I have owned. There is another pair of low boots/shoes on my feet right now that are just starting to show their age after 6 years of daily wear in the office. The last pair I purchased was 6 years ago. Hopefully they have not changed in the interim. Your mileage will certainly be different.

I wear a 13W or EE in every shoe or boot I've ever owned since I stopped growing. I might go to a redwings store and try some on but I'm skeptical.
I’d definitely hit a store if you have one around. I can order a 12 or 12.5 in everything but AE so took for granted that a red wing 11d would be appropriate and maybe even a little snug at first. I’d call the red wing a 12E at least in Allen Edmonds.

Love my Indy boots they are my favourite boots. Out of the box they are perfect.

E0743B16-EE85-478A-A035-73F1DBB456CA.jpeg

bought a pair of the wolverine 1k recently. I enjoy the leather sole and they are comfortable. Breaking them in is a little rough only because the leather is stiff.Once they softened up though it’s much better.

ED496C98-1C54-4792-90A2-E1B7C2D63F09.jpeg

Top Bottom