What's new

Iron Eggs

I just came across these. I'd never heard of them before. They originated in Taiwan.

According to Wikipedia: The dish consists of small eggs that have been repeatedly stewed in a mix of spices and air-dried. The resulting eggs are dark brown on the outside, chewy in texture, and very flavourful compared to standard boiled eggs. It has been said to taste "sweet, spicy and slightly salty with a concentrated egg flavour—a great snack with drinks".

I can't say they look very appetizing but I'm kind of curious about them. Have you heard of them or tried them?

iron eggs.jpg
iron_eggs_in_a_taiwan_market.jpg
packaged iron eggs.jpg

simon1

Self Ignored by Vista
I just came across these. I'd never heard of them before. They originated in Taiwan.

According to Wikipedia: The dish consists of small eggs that have been repeatedly stewed in a mix of spices and air-dried. The resulting eggs are dark brown on the outside, chewy in texture, and very flavourful compared to standard boiled eggs. It has been said to taste "sweet, spicy and slightly salty with a concentrated egg flavour—a great snack with drinks".

I can't say they look very appetizing but I'm kind of curious about them. Have you heard of them or tried them?

View attachment 971071 View attachment 971072 View attachment 971073

I've not heard of them, but they kinda look like a variation of the old pickled eggs and red beets. You can also put cloves, cinnamon, and other spices in the pickling mixture, but the regular store bought home canning pickling mixture that is used for pickling has spices in it.

Pickled Eggs with Beets

Pennsylvania Dutch Pickled Beets and Eggs Recipe

ajkel64

Check Out Chick
Staff member
Interesting looking eggs. Never heard of them before but I wouldn’t mind trying them.

They do seem like they would make a good snack. Those pickled eggs look good too.

I'd never heard of thousand year old eggs but they are the most unique way of preparing eggs that I've seen. As I understand it, the iron and pickled eggs are boiled first but the thousand year (or 'century' sometimes) eggs are prepared raw by covering the shell with a caustic mixture of mud and rice husks and then left to cure for months.

From Wikipedia: Through the process, the yolk becomes a dark green to grey color, with a creamy consistency and strong flavor due to the hydrogen sulfide and ammonia present, while the white becomes a dark brown, translucent jelly with a salty flavor. The transforming agent in the century egg is an alkaline salt, which gradually raises the pH of the egg to around 9–12, during the curing process. This chemical process breaks down some of the complex, flavorless proteins and fats, which produces a variety of smaller flavorful compounds.

1.jpg
2.jpg

Century eggs, so far, are the only thing I have been offered that I could not get past the look of to taste, that was not a cooked orange colored food. I just couldn't do it.

Thousand year eggs are not my cup of tea. My wife gets salted duck eggs from time to time. I actually like them but the salt content is in the WOW that’s salty range. Mostly used in dishes that are bland so to balance it out. Moon cakes or joong. Joong are kind of a Chinese tamale. My wife’s grandmother use to make pickled pigs feet in black vinegar with lots of ginger and hard boiled egg. The eggs were cooked so long they were rubbery. The texture was just wrong for me but the pigs feet were amazing. I’m a big fan of Asian food but the rubbery eggs not so much.

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
Thousand year eggs are not my cup of tea. My wife gets salted duck eggs from time to time. I actually like them but the salt content is in the WOW that’s salty range. Mostly used in dishes that are bland so to balance it out. Moon cakes or joong. Joong are kind of a Chinese tamale. My wife’s grandmother use to make pickled pigs feet in black vinegar with lots of ginger and hard boiled egg. The eggs were cooked so long they were rubbery. The texture was just wrong for me but the pigs feet were amazing. I’m a big fan of Asian food but the rubbery eggs not so much.
I noticed that the homes in the first post had green around them- too over cooked for my taste.

Top Bottom