What's new

Irish people try……

I’m 14 days in on dry January. I’ve been living vicariously through the try channel where Irish people try food and booze. It’s a funny rabbit hole to go down on YouTube. So if you’re up for a laugh watch some of the videos. I’ll start ya out with cheap vs expensive alcohol.

enjoy

tankerjohn

A little poofier than I prefer
Thanks for the tip!

I read somewhere that "Irish" is a adjective that means "full of alcohol", such as Irish coffee or Irish man.

a) I was surprised that I understood most everything even though sober
b) Alcohol is friggin expensive in Ireland —> Famous Grouse IRL EUR 24 vs AUT 13.49
c) doing shots at a tasting was a new one for me :letterk1:

a) I was surprised that I understood most everything even though sober
b) Alcohol is friggin expensive in Ireland —> Famous Grouse IRL EUR 24 vs AUT 13.49
c) doing shots at a tasting was a new one for me :letterk1:
I can confirm that alcohol is expensive in Ireland. Also tobacco, cars, petrol, rent, electricity, gas etc etc.

Also they were speaking quite slow in my opinion.

I can confirm that alcohol is expensive in Ireland. Also tobacco, cars, petrol, rent, electricity, gas etc etc.

Also they were speaking quite slow in my opinion.
The median gross income per household (IRL 2016 45k - AUT 2020 39.5k) is not that dissimilar. So wow, costs of living in Ireland really are high!

The median gross income per household (IRL 2016 45k - AUT 2020 39.5k) is not that dissimilar. So wow, costs of living in Ireland really are high!
Cost of living is high. The politicians argue there is less tax, but have a "charge" and supposedly "social insurance" linked to income. Effectively tax by a different name.

Also, standard VAT in IRE 23%, AUT 20% for most things.

Cost of living is high. The politicians argue there is less tax, but have a "charge" and supposedly "social insurance" linked to income. Effectively tax by a different name.

Also, standard VAT in IRE 23%, AUT 20% for most things.
On rent and groceries it is only 10%.

Total tax and contribution ratio shows a vastly different picture though.
AUT 42% vs IRL 23% as per OECD data
12B8AFB2-060A-4A7E-B887-82EB1334D247.jpeg

Top Bottom