What's new

Irish flake

Gentlemen,

So I just picked up a tin of Peterson's IF, was just looking for tips on flake, will be smoking in an MM Legend(hopefully only till Christmas, fingers crossed). I bought some bunk bulk aros from local B&M, did'nt really do it for me. So I went to Wild Bill's near my place of work, and found several different tins of Peterson's tobacco, but for some reason I was drawn to the flake. So anyway, what would be the best, fold and stuff, rub out, not sure where to go from here, any suggestions will be appreciated. Thanks guys!

Also, Do I just fill and smoke or is there a bowl fill method for this too.?

Last edited:

Mike H

Instagram Famous
Irish Flake is one of my favorites. Is is pretty strong on the nicotine, but that is one of the reasons I like it. I always rub out the flakes and let them dry for a bit before smoking. I tried folding and stuffing but they never stayed lit.

Commander Quan

Commander Yellow Pantyhose
If this is your first foray into non aro blends, I'd rub it out completely and give it a little extra drying time, then proceed cautiously. It may be a good idea to have a soda handy, and enjoy the ride.

It is my first time with non-aros, actually i have only had about 4 bowls total, I am a cig smoker so that might help on the strength. Thanks for those comments thus far, looking forward to smoking a bowl of this. Love the tin smell.

Am keen to see how you find it. I'm too scared to open my tin as I've since heard it's very strong in nicotine. Will be watching this thread. And well done for making the move to the pipe. :)

Thank you all, and I want to say, Derrick you were right lol. I enjoyed it much better than the aros, but I got about halfway through it and the nic hit me. All in all it was pleasurable. Rob, just smoke slow is allied have to say about that.

I was literally two steps away from buying this today when my tobacconist told me to try the university flake instead. I will be watching this thread for your impressions and other opinions.

I was literally two steps away from buying this today when my tobacconist told me to try the university flake instead. I will be watching this thread for your impressions and other opinions.

University Flake is good. I've wanted to try Irish Flake as well. The nicotine in University Flake, to me, didn't seem to be overly powerful, unlike what's almost always said about Irish Flake.

Commander Quan

Commander Yellow Pantyhose
Yeah, but Derrick doesn't like Latakia, so we should be a bit suspect :biggrin:

This is probably one of the least damning factors to my credibility. One only has to look at the company I surround myself with here to know I don't make the best choices. :lol:

This is probably one of the least damning factors to my credibility. One only has to look at the company I surround myself with here to know I don't make the best choices. :lol:

Honestly Derrick, I don't know how old your are but your wisdom speaks decades. I always feel privileged when you answer a question I present.

Irish Flake is about a step down from Nightcap in terms of vitamin N, IMO. It's a bit harsher than Nightcap in the taste department though.

I never got the comparisons between University Flake and Irish Flake, other than they are both flakes made by Peterson.

Irish Flake is about a step down from Nightcap in terms of vitamin N, IMO. It's a bit harsher than Nightcap in the taste department though.

I never got the comparisons between University Flake and Irish Flake, other than they are both flakes made by Peterson.

Nightcap is in my list of to trys for sure. I bought some bulk sutliff? Nightcap not the same I figured out.

I gotta learn to slow down, that is the downside to being a cig smoker

Often times what I do is my sips/puffs are only half drawn through the pipe. I don't make a seal around the stem so I'm pulling air in from around the stem as well. That has helped me a lot by no longer overheating the pipe, but still getting to have a faster cadence that I like.

Shaverat that is a great idea I will give that a whirl on my next bowl, got the flu right now so no smoking for a day or two for me.

Top Bottom