What's new

Iridium Super Extra Stainless blade

It seems that this blade is increasingly hard to come by. Are they still made in Russia,and from whom can I order same. Last time I used this blade it was excellent.
Also would be interested in finding out members thoughts on this blades quality

Dan

I find the blades best trait is that it is quite consistent in quality (no duffers). Most seem to rate it somewhere around the old Swede mark, so quite a nice smooth shave and the only real gripe are the glue spots, especially if they have squelched onto the blade edge which for me is less than 1 in a hundred.

These are probably my favorite blades, and they are actually not as hard to come by as they were maybe half a year ago.

Yes, they are made in Russia. They are a good quality blade, not quite as smooth as the Swede :biggrin: but pretty close. QC on this blade appears to be good as well. They are a current production blade, poke around and you'll find a source. Try eBay or SMF forums for starters.

I liked them overall, the yielded consistently close shaves and were good for 4 shaves total (for me that's a great #).

It seems that this blade is increasingly hard to come by. Are they still made in Russia,and from whom can I order same. Last time I used this blade it was excellent.
Also would be interested in finding out members thoughts on this blades quality

Dan

Excellent blade. Sharp, smooth and forgiving. Consistent blades throughout the pack. Easily lasts one week and shaves improves as the blade ages.

The blade is currently available at a special price from a banned British vendor on this board. The 250 price point represents unsurpassed value. Check out the shave den board for details

I can say without hesitation, that they are my favorite blade. Think of a blade that is sharp like a Feather, is nearly as smooth as a "Swede" and lasts for a week.
Thats's the Super Iridium.
If you google super iridium razor blades and go down to the fifth entry, you will be taken to an English site.
I bought 200 from them about 2 months ago, cost me 64.00 with shipping and I recieved them in about 8 days.
I feel these are the nicest blades on the market.
I took a few microcope pics for my fellow geeks. The top is 800x and the bottom is about 200x. The blade is just under 0.01mm thick (0.004") .
The length of grind is about 0.338mm and the depth (distance in Z axis) from the body of the blade at the start of the grind down to the edge is 0.050mm.
So I guess that comes out to around a 20° angle. It apperars to have some stropping operation and some coating also.
I am truly impressed with how long they hold their sharpness and smoothness.
PS: These are the only blades I have found, after the demise of the "Swede", that give outstanding shaves in my Aristocrat and Fat Boy.
:thumbup1:

Last edited:
I had my third shave with them this morning, and I really like 'em. I am glad they are still available, but it's a bummer they aren't quite as easy to come by as others. I wish dridiot or meylus sold them.

I liked them overall, the yielded consistently close shaves and were good for 4 shaves total (for me that's a great #).

+1 I too get 4 good shaves out of the Super Iridiums whereas most blades only yield 3 good shaves for me. I prefer Gillette SharpEdge to Super Iridiums but, the Iridium is an excellent blade.

Bullgoose... are you giving any thought to carrying these blades?

I would love to carry both the Super Iridium and the Gillette SharpEdge but have not been able to run down a distributor yet. I contacted Proctor & Gamble which owns Gillette and was told they will not sell Gillette Yellows to U.S vendors because they do not market them here.

I am working on it but have been running into brick walls up to this point.

I had looked at getting these in quantites in the UK. My investigation concluded that they are still in production, it was just that you need to pratically order a shipping container load before they were willing to even talk. I believe that is how they came back, the vendor who we know has them bought a rather large lot of them.

Was way too many for me to think about but either way was glad they came back because I do like them.

Luc

"To Wiki or Not To Wiki, That's The Question".
Staff member
I tried one this morning in my NEW... Mmm, I will stick with Astra and Feather. They are sharp yes, but not nearly as smooth as Astra/Feather! Another case of YMMV!

Hi Luc,

Have to admit I never tried one in a NEW, I like them in the Aristocrats. Perhaps worth trying in a different razor?

I guess I said that because I just put a new Iridium in a #47 open comb Aristocrat and got one darn fine shave.

As you say YMWV and they may not be for you but worth one more try.

I tried one this morning in my NEW... Mmm, I will stick with Astra and Feather. They are sharp yes, but not nearly as smooth as Astra/Feather! Another case of YMMV!

Hey Luc... give em a couple more tries before you give up on them...:001_smile

Luc

"To Wiki or Not To Wiki, That's The Question".
Staff member
Yes I will... I will try it in the Rocket tomorrow! Shave #2 is always better than #1!

Top Bottom