What's new

Ipod Touch Case

My work just gifted me a shiny new iPod touch on monday. It's a nice piece of kit but I'd like to keep it looking as shiny as possible.

Can anyone recommend any cases?

It's a new one which I'm assuming means 2nd gen?

If there is an Apple store nearby, you could look at several different xases and pick the one that you like best.

This is what I keep mine in. I love it. It looks great and protects the Touch. It also includes a screen cover to preserve your screen.

Try the Speck line.

Only because it sounds so much like Speick and has been imbedded in my subconcious to buy some thanks to the samples John at Shaving Essentials sent me with my recent order!

:biggrin:

Check out the Apple Store for ideas.

For myself, I pass on any case that has a flip top cover on it. Having to open the cover gets old after a while, and it makes holding the device more difficult. I learned that with my old iPaq 3955 (which still works like new, btw). I prefer to be able to pull the device out my pocket and have instant access to it.

One thing to be careful of when choosing a case is the light sensor. On the top back corner of the iPod touch is a black square thing in the metal which senses the amount of ambient light and brightens or dims the screen accordingly. If you cover that with an opaque material the sensor will assume it is completely dark all the time and keep the screen pretty dim. At night it doesn't matter, but when it is bright out it can be a pain.

As for me, I have a silicone skin deal that covers three sides but leaves the screen open. It works fine, but doesn't really protect the screen, and as mentioned above it screws with the screen dimmer. I think it was 10 or 15 bucks at radio shack. It feels nice in the hand, is real grippy so in the car the ipod doesn't slide around, and prevents scratches on the back and reduces them on the front.

One thing to be careful of when choosing a case is the light sensor. On the top back corner of the iPod touch is a black square thing in the metal which senses the amount of ambient light and brightens or dims the screen accordingly. If you cover that with an opaque material the sensor will assume it is completely dark all the time and keep the screen pretty dim. At night it doesn't matter, but when it is bright out it can be a pain.

As for me, I have a silicone skin deal that covers three sides but leaves the screen open. It works fine, but doesn't really protect the screen, and as mentioned above it screws with the screen dimmer. I think it was 10 or 15 bucks at radio shack. It feels nice in the hand, is real grippy so in the car the ipod doesn't slide around, and prevents scratches on the back and reduces them on the front.

I'm pretty sure the light sensor is actually on the face of the iPod Touch in the upper right/middle(Depending on 1stGen/2ndGen) of screen on the front. If you shine a bright enough light on the screen, you should see a little red dot that is the sensor. The black part on the back is where the wireless antenna is housed.

Light Sensor on iPod Touch 1stGen/2ndGen

Last edited:
This is what I have. It's very sleek, protects it well, and very tight construction around the all the buttons. It slides in out and of your pocket super easily. It doesn't have anything over the screen but that's what I like about it. The screen is scratch resistant, so I'm not worried about anything really messing it up. I'm more worried about my case comprimising the sensitivity of the touch screen, and also interferring with the sides of the screen. By that I mean some cases cover up too much of the side so when you type something with a "p" it sort of makes that a hassle.

I honestly wanted something wtih a belt clip but I could never find something without too much bulk as well as a belt clip.

I'm pretty sure the light sensor is actually on the face of the iPod Touch in the upper right/middle(Depending on 1stGen/2ndGen) of screen on the front. If you shine a bright enough light on the screen, you should see a little red dot that is the sensor. The black part on the back is where the wireless antenna is housed.

Light Sensor on iPod Touch 1stGen/2ndGen

Huh, good to know. I assumed it was the black part on the back since the light sensor doesn't work with my sleeve on it and when I take the sleeve off the top half it does work. I guess the little strip along the top that does cover the front happens to cover the sensor too. Thanks for the info. Either way it's bad if your sleeve covers it.

Huh, good to know. I assumed it was the black part on the back since the light sensor doesn't work with my sleeve on it and when I take the sleeve off the top half it does work. I guess the little strip along the top that does cover the front happens to cover the sensor too. Thanks for the info. Either way it's bad if your sleeve covers it.

No problem. Some cases had a little hole designed into them for that purpose.

Thanks for all the replies.

I think it's going to have to be a trip to the Apple shop and around the town centre in general this weekend as the plan of everyone agreeing on the best case which I could order online doesn't seem to have panned out at all.

I'm torn between the sleek, nigh on invisible look and the ones that turn it into a rubber grenade.

I'm quite surprised the thread has gone this far with no 'YMMV' to be seen.

I also just figured out how to put all my uni pdf lecture notes onto the touch to which my printer has responded with a huge sigh of relief and will make last minute cramming on the bus a far more stylish pursuit.

Top Bottom