What's new

iPhone4..anyone else order one?

I got my pre-order in on the 15th and right now my delivery date is still set up on the 24th. Should be delivered to my house on launch day and I can activate it then. Can't wait to get this thing. Right now I am still using an ENV2 so this will really be a huge upgrade.

Anyone else order this? I hope the activation process on iTunes isn't too tough. Also hope the service doesn't turn out to be as terrible as some claim it to be. Of course that will vary depending on where you live but I will have to wait and see.

I am preparing my credit card to start buying tons of apps once I get it.

I have one preordered and AT&T has placed the authorization on my credit card, so hoping I get it on the 24th. I may wait until the weekend to try to activate if their systems start having troubles -- don't wanna end up with two unactivated phones.

I got my pre-order in on the 15th and right now my delivery date is still set up on the 24th. Should be delivered to my house on launch day and I can activate it then. Can't wait to get this thing. Right now I am still using an ENV2 so this will really be a huge upgrade.

Anyone else order this? I hope the activation process on iTunes isn't too tough. Also hope the service doesn't turn out to be as terrible as some claim it to be. Of course that will vary depending on where you live but I will have to wait and see.

I am preparing my credit card to start buying tons of apps once I get it.

Prepare your credit card for AT&T billing practices!:blink:

Seriously, they post stuff on your bill, hoping you won't notice, but if you call, they remove it immediately.:thumbdown

But the iPhones are pretty cool! (3GS here...)

I just sold my 3G as it was a glorified Ipod Touch due to signal issues in my area. The antenna in the new one is suppose to be better (the metal around the edges is suppose to be a part of the antenna) but I am staying away from it. Waiting for a decent Android based phone to come along that I can either get 3G on for AT&T ( the back flip looks like a Romper Room reject) or wait for my contract to finish out and switch to a different carrier.

Got one coming the 24th. It was a nightmare trying to get the order in on the 15th.

Activation Day (24th) should be "interesting" to say the least.

I managed to order on the 15th, but had a hell of a time doing so. It told me, initially, that I would get the phone on the 24th. That has since been pushed back to "before 7/2."

Still, I'm OK with that. My old 3G is holding up and I can't wait to get an iPhone with an A4 in it. I've got an iPad, and the A4 chip really does well with what I do.

Don't worry too much about starting up with iTunes. I went through it about three years ago with the first gen iPhone and it was mostly painless.

Sorry to hear about the dropped calls some of you have had. Even though I generally dislike AT&T, I've had decent service in Los Angeles. Doesn't mean I won't switch carriers when I can, however. They tried to slam me with a text messaging plan I didn't want. There's no love lost, but service is good enough to keep them.

Yep! Perordered on the 15th at 4:15am PST. No hassles at all! It's been shipped, Fedex is saying I'll get it Wednesday, but Thursday would be fine too!

Since I'm deployed anyway, I'm just going to wait till I get back and buy one from the same place I got my 3GS in Italy. To hell with AT&T! I want one I can use on any GSM network and not have to Jailbreak.

Shawn

Ordered mine on the 15th, and man was it ever a pain. At one point I got to the final page confirmed and then the system crashed...little did I know the order still went through. Managed to get back on later thinking it didn't and ended having two ordered. Luckily AT&T caught this and canceled the second order. Should be her tomorrow by 3pm according to FedEx :thumbup:

Why not wait a week and walk in to your local Apple store and get one. I am on my second iphone. I like it a lot but don't see the need to run out and get the next generation of phone every year.

Please don't think I'm trolling, but I am not ordering an iPhone because I just got an Android Nexus One a couple of weeks ago.

Good luck to you Apple guys, though. Competition is good. It keeps everyone honest. I hope the v4 rocks for you.

Abit O/T but has anyone upgraded their 3GS to OS 4?? Has anyone come across any bugs???

I upgraded to iOS 4.0 last night. So far it's been smooth sailing! The folders are killer and the old 3G is doing great.

The good news is that I got notice from Apple today that my new iPhone will be here tomorrow!

I'm planning to jailbreak the 3G and put it up for sale. Maybe I'll drop it on BST and give someone a good deal. :smile:

I thought that those of you waiting for an Iphone may find this article interesting.

http://www.mainstreet.com/article/smart-spending/technology/iphone-4-s-dirty-little-secret

This is just one of the reasons I won't buy an iPhone now or ever. At least till they change the absolute need for a data plan. Let me 'splain. My daughter recently bought a Pantech Impact. While it does not have the capabilities of iPhone, it did have some impressive features to include a very nice touch screen which folded up to reveal a qwerty keyboard, great coverage and range, and did what she wanted. She has the twenty dollar per month text plan and it works great for her since she doesn't use data. Now comes the kicker. She foolishly left her phone laying around at a swimming pool and of course it came up stolen. Okay, no help for it but to buy something else. She paid about fifty bucks for the Pantech on upgrade of contract so buying it outright is nearly $250. So the wife and I hatch this brilliant idea that since our phones are way past the contract time we would upgrade one of our phones to a Pantech or one of the cheaper rebuilt iPhones you can get and just recontract and give her the new phone. Well well well. We learned a thing or two about ATT and iPhones. We realised the iPhone would demand a $30 per month data plan. What we did not know is that it would NOT cover her texting needs. That would require her to keep the twenty dollar per month text plan she has now. So we/she would be out fifty bucks a month to use an iPhone. What we wanted was to just put her new smartcard in an iPhone so she could use the touch screen etc. No, no, no. iPhone has a constant data connection so eventually they will add a data plan to your account whether you want it or not. What a rip off. What's more, the thirty dollar per month data plan would only cover the one line. If anyone else wanted one we would incur that charge for each line. I think you can see where this was going in a hurry. We would have been out nearly two hundred dollars per month for phone service. No thanks. I went over to Nokia's usa site and found a nice touch screen phone they sell unlocked for a little over two hundred dollars. It does data but only if you want it turned on. This may be the way to go for us. Sorry guys, not trying to go off on a tangent or hijack but for prospective iPhone users remember, there is much to consider for this gadget. Be cautious how you approach it. BTW, this goes more toward ATT and their charges than Apple's phone. I have been with ATT for years and their coverage around the Kansas City region is unmatchable but boy, these convoluted plans and prices are a pita.

Regards, Todd

Sorry guys, I may have sounded confusing in describing what we wanted to do with the iPhone. We wanted to buy one and just add her card and use it as a phone, no data. We were informed that even if we bought a used model from someone we would have to take a $30 data plan on top of our current charges. There is no way ATT will shut off the data connection on iPhone. I just thought it was a bit much.

Last edited:

Slash McCoy

I freehand dog rockets
Why not wait a week and walk in to your local Apple store and get one. I am on my second iphone. I like it a lot but don't see the need to run out and get the next generation of phone every year.

Generally, I prefer to use my mp3 player to play music, my computer to compute, and my phone to make calls. Life is much simpler that way.

I am still using an unlocked motorola razr I bought online two years ago, after the razr was no longer the hot item. It is a great phone. No, it doesn't play music or videos, and it has no built-in phaser or taser or photon torpedoes and so far it has not improved my golf score or my blood pressure, but it is good for making calls, which is what I bought it for, and it works pretty much anywhere in the world if I have international roaming turned on or I buy a local SIM card.

Waiting a bit has its rewards, and this is especially when buying from apple. Anything I can do to throw a wrench into their marketing juggernaut is a good thing. They sell phones that you can't even replace the battery yourself! How WRONG is that? They ship a device without a copy of the software needed to run it. More wrongness.

Anyway, if I were buying an iphone, and I am thinking about it, I would buy after the initial rush on the new model dies out, and order one already unlocked, online. It is stupid to have a locked phone, and to be a hostage of whatever network you are stuck with. It is sweet to be able to just change the sim when you go overseas or when you just want to use a different network. If I buy a phone, I regard it as my property, to be used in any manner or fashion that I see fit to use it. A locked phone is just evil.

This is just one of the reasons I won't buy an iPhone now or ever. At least till they change the absolute need for a data plan. Let me 'splain. My daughter recently bought a Pantech Impact. While it does not have the capabilities of iPhone, it did have some impressive features to include a very nice touch screen which folded up to reveal a qwerty keyboard, great coverage and range, and did what she wanted. She has the twenty dollar per month text plan and it works great for her since she doesn't use data. Now comes the kicker. She foolishly left her phone laying around at a swimming pool and of course it came up stolen. Okay, no help for it but to buy something else. She paid about fifty bucks for the Pantech on upgrade of contract so buying it outright is nearly $250. So the wife and I hatch this brilliant idea that since our phones are way past the contract time we would upgrade one of our phones to a Pantech or one of the cheaper rebuilt iPhones you can get and just recontract and give her the new phone. Well well well. We learned a thing or two about ATT and iPhones. We realised the iPhone would demand a $30 per month data plan. What we did not know is that it would NOT cover her texting needs. That would require her to keep the twenty dollar per month text plan she has now. So we/she would be out fifty bucks a month to use an iPhone. What we wanted was to just put her new smartcard in an iPhone so she could use the touch screen etc. No, no, no. iPhone has a constant data connection so eventually they will add a data plan to your account whether you want it or not. What a rip off. What's more, the thirty dollar per month data plan would only cover the one line. If anyone else wanted one we would incur that charge for each line. I think you can see where this was going in a hurry. We would have been out nearly two hundred dollars per month for phone service. No thanks. I went over to Nokia's usa site and found a nice touch screen phone they sell unlocked for a little over two hundred dollars. It does data but only if you want it turned on. This may be the way to go for us. Sorry guys, not trying to go off on a tangent or hijack but for prospective iPhone users remember, there is much to consider for this gadget. Be cautious how you approach it. BTW, this goes more toward ATT and their charges than Apple's phone. I have been with ATT for years and their coverage around the Kansas City region is unmatchable but boy, these convoluted plans and prices are a pita.

Regards, Todd

Sorry guys, I may have sounded confusing in describing what we wanted to do with the iPhone. We wanted to buy one and just add her card and use it as a phone, no data. We were informed that even if we bought a used model from someone we would have to take a $30 data plan on top of our current charges. There is no way ATT will shut off the data connection on iPhone. I just thought it was a bit much.

Verizon now requires you to get a data plan as well no matter what phone you are buying, even if its the cheapy flip phone with no need for a data plan.

Top Bottom