What's new

Iphone upgrade what do you do ?

Toothpick

Needs milk and a bidet!
Staff member
It was back in 2017 that Apple settled $117M lawsuit for slowing down phones. Their claim was that it was to prevent the aging batteries from shutting down the phone. Riiiiiiggghhhttt. I’m sure they still do it. It’s no different from any other company doing shady things to make more money. EVERY large corporation we deal with on a daily basis is shady and deceitful. You’re only fooling yourself if you don’t think so. I upgrade every 2-4 years anyway so what do I care.

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
I’ve heard that claim before, but I have never experienced that in the 12 years I’ve used iPhones.

I upgrade when battery life gets intolerable. Then, I buy at least one model behind the current latest and greatest. My XR was purchased when the 12s were released.
I will say this.... The battery on my 6s wouldn't keep a charge long enough for them to get the stuff from it onto the new phone so I went to a cell phone repair shop and they replaced the battery. I could have just kept using it at that point but I was already knee deep into the iPhone 11 Pro purchase. iPhone battery replacement isn't expensive and took the guy all of ten minutes to complete the task.

It was back in 2017 that Apple settled $117M lawsuit for slowing down phones. Their claim was that it was to prevent the aging batteries from shutting down the phone. Riiiiiiggghhhttt. I’m sure they still do it. It’s no different from any other company doing shady things to make more money. EVERY large corporation we deal with on a daily basis is shady and deceitful. You’re only fooling yourself if you don’t think so. I upgrade every 2-4 years anyway so what do I care.
OH I remember that :)

now about those household appliances with built in dates to die built in the chips :)
(slips off tinfoil hat)

Anecdotal yes, but an anecdote that happened with me.
Had a 5S for the longest time. Running like a charm on iOS 9
for years, no issues. Then I got my iPhoneX and stored it away.
Family member wanted to use it for a while and before I could
warn they downloaded iOS 11 on to it. It's wrecked now. Laggy
and sluggish.

A lot of tech companies try to scare you into downloading updates
to operating systems and browsers. In the case of the latter, all it
does is break my existing apps, creating more headaches.

Not jumping at the latest updates doesn't worry me as I always
use 2FA on all my sensitive log-ins.

JCarr

More Deep Thoughts than Jack Handy
I was a huge BlackBerry fan and always had their latest/greatest phone...but, now that they're gone, I find myself buying less expensive fully unlocked Android phones every two or three years. I'm currently on a Nokia kick. I just picked up their G50 for around $200. Good luck with your new iPhone!

I just traded in my XR for a 13 mini. I like the smaller
size. Riding Japanese trains during rush hour means
standing with my hand firmly grasping a strap. So,
one-handed screen navigation and typing is a must.
The mini 13 is perfect. That and I love the forest green
color option which I think is now discontinued after
only a six-month run.

My favorite iPhone was the iPhone 3 with the rounded
back. It felt really comfortable in my hand.

I was a huge BlackBerry fan and always had their latest/greatest phone...but, now that they're gone, I find myself buying less expensive fully unlocked Android phones every two or three years. I'm currently on a Nokia kick. I just picked up their G50 for around $200. Good luck with your new iPhone!
never had a blackberry but did have a Treo :)

wow Nokia was the thing for so long glad to hear they still get some love !
in the islands at least not sure about mainland US or Europe there was a HUGE insane huge case and new num pads and color LED things to put in them like insane amount of it at every store (Maui only had one mall) but it had multiple kiosks of just mods to your phone :)

I still have the iPhone 8. Before that it was the 5. And the 5 was my very first smart phone, holding onto a flip phone until the screen was unreadable. I hold onto them until they are fried. In fact, when I do upgrade, it is generally to the generation before the newest at a substantially lower price. Every now and then, I get the thought about reverting back to a non-smart flip phone. But, I can see why others might upgrade more frequently, especially heavy users that are in school, or on the job. I get that, too.

Kentos

B&B's Dr. Doolittle.
Staff member
6S to 14 is a good jump....I cant understand why some need to get the new one EVERY year.
But hey, its their money.

The only advice I will offer is: be wary about OS updates to get. I would turn off auto
updates to begin with....they say every update is critical or your risking blah blah blah.

But my view is that Apple uses OS updates to degrade and slow down your phone to
a crawl over the course of 2-3 years. This is how they force obsolescence.

I use iPhone X and still on iOS 12 while everyone current seems to be on 15....my
phone runs just fine and zippy as ever.

Just FYI my X runs great on ios16. Although I had a battery change so that might be why it’s working well. If your battery is degraded to the point it’s limiting performance then yeah, might not be a good idea. I think under 80% is the cut off.

so not sure if this is the correct forum ?

curious if any of you update often or more like me when they finally quit working ? or are not supported with new OS

but finally got a new iphone 14 pro yesterday and came from a 6s+ which the guy at the counter was like WOW with a laugh we don't see those old phones that often hahahaha

I just have little reason to upgrade but the new one is insane quicker of course a duh statement ;) the camera is so much nicer but as a full time photographer for 20+ yrs I have other cameras and really just use them for basic stuff
but am thinking I might use it more for fun ? we shall see
I just text when I have to but prefer to call my friends etc.. and yeah it texts the same calls the same :) hahhaahha I check my bank account and a few other things sure most of us do ? I just really do not push them ? but the bloated apps get more complicated and slow down of course on the older so it has been a WOW this thing is nice experience and glad I did get a new one !
the biggest thing for me will be battery life !

I love tech though in computers and other things BUT phones are so distracting to so many these days from driving to any event people just see the event through their phone rather than just experiencing that moment without distractions :)
maybe this is from me shooting so many events and I see folks living through their phone

or maybe its just some of us who grew up without them do not care as much ?
I upgrade only when absolutely necessary. Went from a 6S to an SE last November. Battery (2nd one) was shot and was pushing the limits of the 64 GB in the 6s so for $450 it was worth getting a new phone with double the memory given that the 6S would soon no longer be supported. Reality is most of the functionality is driven by the software so the 6S did everything I needed as does my SE. Also preferred the SE as it was the only model with touch ID that I prefer and kept the 6S form factor.

Reality right now, until tech providers figure out the killer consumer apps for 5G there is not a compelling reason to upgrade a phone that is still supported. Similar thing happened with PCs in the early 2000's as the technology matured.

At the time my son purchased the then latest iphone 13. Other than the extra camera lenses & facial ID there is no real difference in what the phone does.

6S to 14 is a good jump....I cant understand why some need to get the new one EVERY year.
But hey, its their money.

The only advice I will offer is: be wary about OS updates to get. I would turn off auto
updates to begin with....they say every update is critical or your risking blah blah blah.

But my view is that Apple uses OS updates to degrade and slow down your phone to
a crawl over the course of 2-3 years. This is how they force obsolescence.

I use iPhone X and still on iOS 12 while everyone current seems to be on 15....my
phone runs just fine and zippy as ever.

Yes and no. Been in IT for about 4 decades now. Hardware vs software has been a study in which exceeds the other in capabilities. The cycles used to be measured in many years apart. Hardware would advance and software catch up and exceed hardware. There is an axiom but forget what it is called.

Computer manufacturers artificially reduced chip capabilities going back to at least the 1970's. Customers had to purchased additional upgrades or licensing to unlock the increased capabilities.

Cell phones have been around for a shorter timeframe but the principals are the same. Phones, like all computers, slow down for a number of reasons. Users clutter up memory with apps no longer used, accumulate tons of data and never purge or do maintenance. Heat takes a toll on electronics over time, the smaller and more crowded the boards the greater the impact. Operating systems get larger, have more features, require more storage and memory, aka bloat.

Cell phones have the added issue of batteries. Charging cycles, heat from excessive use, poor use conditions requiring higher power output to reach towers, all take a toll.

So while there may be some limitation placed on new hardware by vendors, I doubt they are intentionally slowing down the phone.

Can say a month in the biggest thing is the battery life but that is a given :)
I did get the leather case and the wallet to go on back and I am loving that setup so so so much I only carry a single bank card a costco card and my lic :) the costco card for gas since you can not use a digital card yet but maybe one day !
So that is not really phone related as it is not ON when I use it but the battery included and in case with that wallet for me has been so so so nice !

I am kinda a minimalist and I do love that one thing to put in my pocket !
Also not getting the max now so glad I did not and stuck the regular size !

the other thing here in AZ where I am now is outdoors the new screen is insane good at being more visible those small jumps that add up nothing earth shattering more just nice :) but that screen outdoors has made it much more useable when out about

the speed at which I can do stuff with daily little things is great no delays and that is nice

my apps that I do use some that used to just drag like notes and WOW game changing difference

Looking forward to Ventura and the new using your phone for web cam more for my wife since she does a LOT of online stuff with clients

been a fun thread to hear dif views :)

Reactions: ctr

Ratso

Mr. Obvious
Went from a 7 to a 14. Wow! There were lots of operational changes to learn. What? No home button?
I definitely will change when the new updates aren’t supported for my phone. I don’t care about new functionality, but I do want the latest security updates.

Did with out while working as phone was 3500 bucks, service was 100 bucks a month, talk in or out was 40 cents per minute, plus roving charges.

Today everyone has phone, even children. Service is expensive, got to shop deals, and read fine print. FREE Phones are not FREE, you pay over time.

Stopped once after seeing sign FREE PHONE, at bottom of poster was what I thought was border, very smalls, explain the BS that went with free, it was not you paid over time.

Went from a 7 to a 14. Wow! There were lots of operational changes to learn. What? No home button?
I definitely will change when the new updates aren’t supported for my phone. I don’t care about new functionality, but I do want the latest security updates.
figure I could update my thoughts since this popped back up :)

yeah me going from about the same phone (6+) lots of small things lucky was not to bad and still loving it and NO DESIRE to be that upgrade every model type either
one feature I am loving is the hand off though to the main computer !
and of course as I said before battery life has been amazing and do like the battery charging and the wallet on the back of my phone with the magnet :) I just carry a DL a costco card and a single CC now if costco would get their act together and do a card like sams club built into their app I could drop that ? I have thought get a CC from costco that doubles and might do that !
but yeah a single thing in my pocket for me has been awesome !

I might update a touch sooner than I did before and not skip 8 models :) hahaahah maybe skip 4 or 5 but we shall see

Well before retiring in June 1997, I carried a Beeper, Telephone Credit Card, and Pay Phones were my friend, many of my old client at 1-800-Number, if they did not you could use a Pay Phone, and Phone CC. Worked well.

Have not seen a pay phone in years, could still be in airports, but I do not fly so I do not know.

I have an XR. As long as Apple supports it with new operating systems, I am fine. I can wait an extra half-second if necessary…especially at today’s prices.

Top Bottom