What's new

Iphone upgrade what do you do ?

I have been an Apple fan for years. We started with the iPhone 4, then 6S, 8 and now have the 12 Mini. Probably will update when the 16’s come out. Figure every 4 years a viable time to change. We could go longer, but some of the new bells & whistles are worthwhile at that point in time.

I have also learned to only purchase new iPhones from the Apple Store. Had a horrible experience with Verizon years ago getting the 6S. Of course we now buy the phones outright instead of financing them.

I just swapped from an XR to an SE 2022 last night. I got pretty nervous that things did not work correctly initially, but after it sat overnight all my photos have moved over. My iCloud is no where close to being below the 5GB free service, and I refuse to pay for more, so I'm having to add apps manually due to not having a backup available. BUT, that also is giving me the option to determine if I really NEED that app or not. Which in itself is pretty satisfying.

It seems to be taking a while to "learn" who the different people are. So at least I know when the machines do come self aware, we may have a short period of anonymity before all hell breaks loose.

In the past, I’ve always upgraded every 2 to 3 years. But this last time I got the pro iPhone and it’s considerably better. Will probably try to push it for three years or four before upgrading.

I view it as a laptop, with the same frequency of replacement. Every 3 to 4 years.

My biggest issue with my iPhone is actually trying to keep it charged. It seems as though the port, the charging port seems to wear and I’m constantly having to buy new chargers.

my first smartphone was a 4. I kept it until I couldn't use some apps and the OS branch off to obsolete it by Apple. repaced it with a 5S. it got choked during all the fun and I replaced the battery. I didn't want a bigger or newer fancier phone at those price points. that stopped getting supported/crapped out and I bought a '20 SE. same size as the 6 and it's as big a phone as I want. I did get 256G memory for music and data storage. I'm really not interested in paying $1k+ for a mini tablet and three lenses I can make calls with. I still have a mini ipad 4 for tablet work that I used to use for work. the SE does everything I need it to, and can still fit in pockets.

Last edited:
I have a 6S. It sends texts, makes and receives calls just fine. That’s about all that I need out of a phone. Some apps won’t work on it, but that’s okay. I replaced the battery a couple of months ago which helped. it was a hand-me-down from my wife but since she retired she doesn’t upgrade either. I suppose that I will upgrade when they stop supporting it.

Top Bottom