What's new

iPhone 12

Toothpick

Needs milk and a bidet!
Staff member
Shut up and take my money!

I’m going to hold out for the iPhone 12 Pro Max. Hopefully I can pre-order on 11.6
I like that they are going back to the iPhone 4 design, a phone which I also had. More square than rounded.

Currently have the Xs Max so reckon I’m due for an upgrade. I’m also considering the Apple Watch Series 6 and the new iPad Air. Both of the ones I have are from 2017. Might as well upgrade it all and be good for another 3-4 years.

I wonder if Apple has a program where you can meet the Apple employee whose monthly salary you paid from buying their new devices. .?

BigFoot

I wanna be sedated!
Staff member
I am trying to decide between the 12 and 12 pro. For basic phone use, I am not sure I can justify the cost difference. Why are you thinking the pro JJ?

Toothpick

Needs milk and a bidet!
Staff member
Why are you thinking the pro JJ?

Just because it’s the latest and greatest. No other reason. I have the iPad Pro 10.5” and I can’t tell you one single thing I’ve used that the Pro has that the Air doesn’t. Hell, I didn’t even know it was the Pro until I looked yesterday.

If you are undecided Apple has a good Compare feature on their website. I think you can do 3 phones side by side.

Toothpick

Needs milk and a bidet!
Staff member
Why would you willingly buy a phone that doesn't come with a charger and cable?

Because I use Apple products and I like them and want a new phone. Don’t suppose I need any other reason than that.

And besides, it does come with a charging cable. USB-C to Lightning. It just doesn’t come with the wall plug.

Next time I buy a car I’ll demand it come with a lifetime supply of gas. Computers don’t come with internet service. You buy a 12pk of hotdogs and only a 8pk of buns.

We buy and use things everyday that require additional purchases. Apple’s only problem was offering the wall charger from the beginning. If they never would have shipped their phones with it to begin with then people wouldn’t have known any better and wouldn’t raise a stink about it now. Unfortunately technology wasn’t ready for that yet. Now they are, and in the future even more so. Doesn’t bother me in the slightest.

Because I use Apple products and I like them and want a new phone. Don’t suppose I need any other reason than that.

And besides, it does come with a charging cable. USB-C to Lightning. It just doesn’t come with the wall plug.

Next time I buy a car I’ll demand it come with a lifetime supply of gas. Computers don’t come with internet service. You buy a 12pk of hotdogs and only a 8pk of buns.

We buy and use things everyday that require additional purchases. Apple’s only problem was offering the wall charger from the beginning. If they never would have shipped their phones with it to begin with then people wouldn’t have known any better and wouldn’t raise a stink about it now. Unfortunately technology wasn’t ready for that yet. Now they are, and in the future even more so. Doesn’t bother me in the slightest.
But will you buy that magnetic rapid charging thing? How about an apple carry case/wallet?; it ads up$$. I will use the cable that comes and be done. Carry case out of amazon. I think the max comes out till Nov...... BTW get the watch w pulse oximetry.....might come handy

Toothpick

Needs milk and a bidet!
Staff member
But will you buy that magnetic rapid charging thing? How about an apple carry case/wallet?; it ads up$$. I will use the cable that comes and be done. Carry case out of amazon. I think the max comes out till Nov...... BTW get the watch w pulse oximetry.....might come handy

Probably but I don't need it because I already have a USB-C wall plug that I bought for the Nintendo Switch. I've never got the Apple cases but I think I will this time. As far as stuff adding up this is a every 3-4 year expense. High initial upfront cost but then I'm done for the next few years.

I sell the old stuff and recoup some of the expense that way.

I remember the first couple times I got new iPhones they were free. Remember when they used to do big discounts on the phones for signing up for a 2 year contract. You'd get the phone for like 200 if you sign up for the contract. Then I'd sell the used phone for the same price via eBay. Now they don't do that anymore, jerks!

I have all Apple stuff. I’ve got a wireless charging Pad at home that charges my Phone, AirPods and watch at the same time. My car has built in wireless and wired charging. So much stuff is obsolete and people have problems adapting to that fact. Since I have two sets of airpods, I just toss the wired ones that come in the box. Obsolete. There’s a reason Apple scrapped earplug jacks on their phones. Wires are a thing of the past.

Toothpick

Needs milk and a bidet!
Staff member
I read the next thing is simply walking in to a room and your phone (or whatever) charges. No need to place it on a charging pad or plug it in. It just charges by being in the same room with whatever device is putting out the charge signal.

Personally, I’m not bothered that Apple no longer includes the wall plug. Amazon Kindles and other devices haven’t had them for years. Reality is, most of us have a bunch laying around—it’s bad for the environment to keep giving people stuff they don’t need.

I like Apple products. But my iPhone 7 and Apple Watch series 4 both still do everything I need, so I have no interest in buying an upgrade. My wife told me our daughter’s 6s is acting up, so I may give her my 7 and get a new phone, but I’ll go with an SE or 11. I really like the form factor of the 12, but not $800 worth.

I think this is their clever plan to reject warranty repairs because people used ****ty third party chargers.

There’s a reason Apple scrapped earplug jacks on their phones. Wires are a thing of the past.
Except on all their computers. But Apple is a phone company that happens to make computers on the side.

It comes with a cable, just not the charging block.

And the average person has, at a minimum, 500,000,000 of those in a drawer in their kitchen.

Plus, iPhones have had wireless charging for a few years now, but you don't HAVE to use it unless you want to.

Last edited:
This may be more a thing with Android phones and other USB devices, but the issue with the wall cube chargers is the various connectors, charging output, fast charging standard, etc. So it is good to get a new one sized/fit to the new device, unless there is an alternative like a wireless dock. While I would appreciate the benefit of wireless charging, I don't consider it essential. With USB-C is easy to connect and it charges faster. I certainly would not want to carry a wireless charging pad when traveling.

Good to see this new iPhone release to provide another option when upgrading.

I read the next thing is simply walking in to a room and your phone (or whatever) charges. No need to place it on a charging pad or plug it in. It just charges by being in the same room with whatever device is putting out the charge signal.
Now that would bother me. No one knows for sure what effect that much electromagnetic energy has on tissue.

Toothpick

Needs milk and a bidet!
Staff member
Looks like these guys might already be doing it. But you have to have a receiver that take the signal. Sooner or later it will be built in to the Devices.

Here’s an article from 2018 talking about it.

Came from Disney?? Hmmm

And apparently it has FDA approval.

Toothpick

Needs milk and a bidet!
Staff member
Looks like a couple products are already approved for over the air charging

Top Bottom