What's new

Invisible Burr on Exotic Alloy

G'day Lads,

Long time, no post, but I've been doing some custom work of my own and have run into a bit of a problem finding the burr when setting the bevel on a new fixed design.

Today I was working on an experimental high-ductile steel alloy specifically formulated for rapid sharpening performance. I'm particularly happy with the finish of the scales, I've used a black oxide layer bonded directly to the steel rather than the typical pinned/glued designs - I call them "mill scales". However, the issue I'm having is with detecting the burr after honing. I'm certain that there is still a burr present as the cutting performance just isn't up to snuff at all, however I've tried all the tricks to detect it/understand what is going on and for the life of me I can't find the burrgger.

I found a great deal on Aliexpress for a Scanning Electron Microscope - I think this is my only option at this point. The seller has offered to sell for an even better price of $12.88 with free shipping if I supply my credit card details directly to him! What a great guy and a great deal. I've gone ahead and ordered two of them so that I can use the first to inspect the edge and then focus the second on the display of the first to see the electrons in second layer. Double zoom! Genius, right?

Anyway, obviously I've got this all under control for now, but I just thought I would let everyone in on this journey at the ground floor as I'm certain this new easy-sharp alloy (the bloke at the shop called it mild steel - more like spicy steel I reckon!) is going to revolutionise the world of SRs.

Image of the invisible burr below - I'm sure no one will be able to see it, but in case I'm missing anything obvious feel free to offer any feedback.

Cheers.

duke762

Rose to the occasion
I hate to offer unsolicited advice but you will need a special hone and lube accomplish this. I would suggest a Translucent Black Arkansas. The way the edges and corners of the stone fade away in ambient light, proves, they don't really exist totally in this dimension. It will finish your exotic steel right down to the dang Higgs Bosons. But only if you're using the right lubes. Yup, you guessed it, hookers tears and whale sperm oil for the stone and Everclear, Golden grains, or other grain alcohol of your choice to lube the honer. Remember you are dealing with exotic steel, inter-dimensional stones and truly funky lube, so be careful. Uhhh....and have the tears tested before hand, for social diseases and other bacteria, we don't want something to take off and thrive in the whale sperm oil!

Proper application of the grain alcohol to the honer is also essential to prevent any cross contamination to the organic lube. For serious applications like this I sometimes strop on a lazer pointer beam. YMMV

Does it matter what colour laser beam? I just completed the standard tri-fortnightly 500 nm quantum-wave-flattening of my laser strop with my lapping laser array and think I may have contaminated it with some 700nm wavelength electromagnetic infetterence.

I think I best throw it out and find a new one on Aliexpress. I'll talk to my microscope guy.

75,000 girt Maruka should do the trick.

EC1F92BF-374B-4396-934F-0B8FB71B3394.jpeg

Does it matter what colour laser beam? I just completed the standard tri-fortnightly 500 nm quantum-wave-flattening of my laser strop with my lapping laser array and think I may have contaminated it with some 700nm wavelength electromagnetic infetterence.

I think I best throw it out and find a new one on Aliexpress. I'll talk to my microscope guy.
You may have to scan each nm individually to avoid any infetterence. At least that's been my experience.

Slash McCoy

I freehand dog rockets
G'day Lads,

Long time, no post, but I've been doing some custom work of my own and have run into a bit of a problem finding the burr when setting the bevel on a new fixed design.

Today I was working on an experimental high-ductile steel alloy specifically formulated for rapid sharpening performance. I'm particularly happy with the finish of the scales, I've used a black oxide layer bonded directly to the steel rather than the typical pinned/glued designs - I call them "mill scales". However, the issue I'm having is with detecting the burr after honing. I'm certain that there is still a burr present as the cutting performance just isn't up to snuff at all, however I've tried all the tricks to detect it/understand what is going on and for the life of me I can't find the burrgger.

I found a great deal on Aliexpress for a Scanning Electron Microscope - I think this is my only option at this point. The seller has offered to sell for an even better price of $12.88 with free shipping if I supply my credit card details directly to him! What a great guy and a great deal. I've gone ahead and ordered two of them so that I can use the first to inspect the edge and then focus the second on the display of the first to see the electrons in second layer. Double zoom! Genius, right?

Anyway, obviously I've got this all under control for now, but I just thought I would let everyone in on this journey at the ground floor as I'm certain this new easy-sharp alloy (the bloke at the shop called it mild steel - more like spicy steel I reckon!) is going to revolutionise the world of SRs.

Image of the invisible burr below - I'm sure no one will be able to see it, but in case I'm missing anything obvious feel free to offer any feedback.

Cheers.
Oh well, then. A wedge blade. No wonder!

Top Bottom