What's new

Invicta Watch Question ànd New Watch

My Dad wears an Invicta and it's been a flawless performer.
However, If I were prompted to buy a new watch, I'd look at the aforementioned Casio, Citizen and Seiko watches.
You'll own one of those for a good long time I'll bet.

@littlebigfeather

Ive never heard that about Invicta before. Keep in mind I'm new to buying watches. What makes Invicta so bad?

What big faced type watch would you recommend? Or should I look for a dress watch? Since I already have a knock around chronograph Invicta watch for everyday wear. Is there a certain classically styled watch I should invest in? One I could pass down one day? What about orient? Omega?

Better yet, what should I look for in a quality watch?
I own Rolex,Breitling.....And many others. Orient is a very good and little known Japanese company here in America. They make GREAT watches.
Seiko is good too. I prefer SWISS because I am a WATCH SNOB. If you go the Quartz way any of two dozen companies. You are really buying the movement
in the watch more than the name.Only two companies in,your price range, Switzerland make all the movements,(Rhonda & ETA)
STAY AWAY FROM CHINESE WATCHES!!! Many INVICTA use Chinese movements. If it says Swiss, Italian,German or American DESIGNED it probably has
a $2.00 Chinese engine. DESIGN DOES NOT MEAN MADE. I spent 4 hours researching a watch that said GERMAN ENGINEERED and found out Chinese made.

I got an Invicta ProDiver about a year ago, and have no problems. It is an automatic watch with what I believe, based on what little research I did on the net prior to purchasing, it has a seiko movement. I beat the heck out of it, and havn't had a problem yet. I paid about $100.

@jessix

Here is a photo of my Invictia Watch that stopped working.

Attachments

• $photo(1).jpg
    $photo(1).jpg
    58.9 KB · Views: 64
They are not sold in the States but the Seiko 5 watches are nice and their diving line 200M are great. these are all automatic and have a rotor that means it keeps winding with the movement of your arm. The movement in these watches is a 7S26 which is a 21 jewel movement that beats at 21,600 beats per hour.
Long story short they are bullet proof, they keep great time and go and go.

Orient uses a automatic Myota movement, Citizen watch company I like their mako.

They are not sold in the States but the Seiko 5 watches are nice and their diving line 200M are great. these are all automatic and have a rotor that means it keeps winding with the movement of your arm. The movement in these watches is a 7S26 which is a 21 jewel movement that beats at 21,600 beats per hour.
Long story short they are bullet proof, they keep great time and go and go.

Orient uses a automatic Myota movement, Citizen watch company I like their mako.

I thought that Orient makes their movments in house? That is what they touted frequently.

Did you have a bad experience with one?

Very.
Thankfully, 7S26 production has now ceased. I think it's now the 4r15 which replaces it, but I'm not 100% sure. All seiko 5s now being produced have hacking and handwinding.
It'll take a while for current stock to be sold but I might be in the market for a Seiko 5 in a year or so.

If you have a facebook page, "like" the Invicta page and ask for some help. They might be able to help you out.

I love my Invictas personally, all four of them work flawlessly for me and I am pretty rough with my watches. They may not be the highest quality out there, but the styles catch my eye I guess!

I know Citizen has already been mentioned, I think those are great values. I'd also take a look at Skagen, not sure if they have anything in their line that is quite as big as you're looking for but they make great watches as well and are very fairly priced. Other than that I'd say look at Stuhrling, and possibly even Nixon (they're usually more casual but I've seen a few of their watches lately that are more dressy looking).
Whatever you end up getting, definitely price-shop online because prices can be all over the place. You might also want to look on somewhere like overstock.com, they have a ton of stuff in all price ranges and their return policy is great in case you don't like what you end up with.

I know Citizen has already been mentioned, I think those are great values. I'd also take a look at Skagen, not sure if they have anything in their line that is quite as big as you're looking for but they make great watches as well and are very fairly priced. Other than that I'd say look at Stuhrling, and possibly even Nixon (they're usually more casual but I've seen a few of their watches lately that are more dressy looking).
Whatever you end up getting, definitely price-shop online because prices can be all over the place. You might also want to look on somewhere like overstock.com, they have a ton of stuff in all price ranges and their return policy is great in case you don't like what you end up with.

STUHRLING?? Chinese crap!! NIXON IS NOT A WATCH...IT is a Name. NIXON DOES NOT MAKE WATCHES.

@littlebigfeather

What are examples of Swiss watches? I must say you gents know your stuff! Are their watches made in America? If so what brands?

What price range should I be expecting with a Swiss watch?

There is no American Made watch...For under $200.00 look at Seiko,Orient,Sector.
Under$400.00-$500.00 Christopher Ward ? Victoronix, Go to DEAL DODDY type watch. look for SWISS
or JAPANESE You can't go wrong with Seiko or Orient...If you want an expensive watch..ROLEX.
I went back to your first entry.. Good watches do not come in those big flashy sizes in your
price range. Cheap "FASHION" watches that you replace every few years as fashion changes.
The SWISS are famous for watches not fashion.

Last edited:
STUHRLING?? Chinese crap!! NIXON IS NOT A WATCH...IT is a Name. NIXON DOES NOT MAKE WATCHES.

Big Feather, do you dislike all Chinese watches or only certain brands?

I don't own a Chinese watch but I have my eye on the Sea-gull linked below. In addition to the classic appearance, it has the features I'm looking for at a price I haven't found in Swiss or Japanese watches. Automatic, Hacking movement. High Beat rate. Sapphire crystal. Display back. The Sea-Gull movement (ST2130) is purported to be a clone of the ubiquitous Swiss ETA 2824-4 movement and I have read strong reviews of ST2130 functionality and reliability.

http://www.good-stuffs.com/Sea-Gull-816362-classic-dress-watch-_p_47.html

SEA GULL is the best Chinese mvt. and they have copied the ETA 2824... And it is a copy, the quality is less.
Many Chinese watches claim to use Sea-Gull and do not...Remember China is the #1 country for fake products.
If it breaks.. Who stands behind it? I know a man who lost everything he owned dealing with the Chinese
system....You can not win...You can only loose. It's your money...Not mine.In CHINA you can buy a Fake
SEA-GULL!

I don't personally own any Stuhrlings but I have a few friends that do and they haven't had major problems... trying to provide some options to our fellow member that meet his price/size criteria, and presumably he will look into what he likes and make his decision from there.
I'm not sure if maybe you're talking about a different company, but Nixon does have a full line of watches. I can't speak to if another company actually produces the components because I've only ever bought 1, but again I'm just trying to provide additional options that fit the requested price and size range. Their page is http://www.nixon.com/mens/watches/
As others have already noted, there are obviously a lot of products from China but not all of them are bad. Its just a matter of doing your research and filtering out the crap, or making sure to get a product that has a return or warranty policy.

@littlebigfeather

What are examples of Swiss watches? I must say you gents know your stuff! Are their watches made in America? If so what brands?

What price range should I be expecting with a Swiss watch?

I got you something to look at. I have this watch but it's too big for me at 43mm. Swiss made Top of the line quartz mvt. Little co. near the Italian border
Go to AMAZON type ADRIATICA of SWITZERLAND...The Aviator Big Date for $198.82... This is a very good watch. You can read my review there.
That's the BEST i can do. Good luck.

Very.
Thankfully, 7S26 production has now ceased. I think it's now the 4r15 which replaces it, but I'm not 100% sure. All seiko 5s now being produced have hacking and handwinding.
It'll take a while for current stock to be sold but I might be in the market for a Seiko 5 in a year or so.

I have one of the higher end seikos with the 4R16 movement, basically a 4R15 with the Tokyo Stripes, and it loses more time than my Monster with the 7S26. Can you point me to some articles regarding the production ceasing on the 7S26? Thanks.

I own Rolex,Breitling.....And many others. Orient is a very good and little known Japanese company here in America. They make GREAT watches.
Seiko is good too. I prefer SWISS because I am a WATCH SNOB.

Absolutely. Currently I have a Orient Perpetual Calendar 27 jewels from 1970 being restored piece by piece. I can't wait to have it ready.
I can only say good things about Seiko. I have 3 automatic watches (1970s and 1980s) and they're great.

Top Bottom