What's new

Invicta Pro Diver smokes literally everything within $250 of its price

I have no idea why this watch gets perpetually crapped on for being inexpensive. Yes, literally every other watch invicta makes is objectively gaudy and bad but the pro-diver watch is THE diamond in the rough. I got a black one for myself and it looks and feels amazing. Seiko movement, display back, custom yellow rotor, screw-down crown, date complication with cyclops, meh lume (but I paid $80 AUD incl. Shipping so I'm not complaining). I also bought some crocodile leather straps in black, brown and maroon to go along with it and switch out the bracelet every now and then. 99% of people don't take their watches diving so having something super water-resistant is redudant (as if 200m wasn't enough), and the ones that do dive will be using modern day dive computers...This watch is stylish, well-made, keeps time well and is good quality. Was so good, my Dad wanted one. I can't see any reason to be buying an entry seiko like any Skx or even the new mini-turtle or watches from Orient, when you could get this one, every type of strap imaginable for less money.

Given the hackable, windable Seiko movement, no question it exceeds the intersection of quality and value. Its only objective weak point is the mineral v sapphire crystal. A great trade off to keep the price point well under 100.00 (70 ish on USA Amazon)
as virtually any watch with sapphire is going to be 2x as expensive ( I am thinking of an Orient Kamasu/Mako III) when caught on some type of sale.

Cheapest Nato Watch Straps is a great source all manner of straps in all colors imaginable at very nice prices. Based in Sweden.
Shipping from Sweden to Midwest USA in 7 days or less.

Pics please.

For the same price point, I'd rather get a Vostok Amphibia in any manner of styles and colors. But if you want a straight forward Submariner homage, the Invicta will do. I would prefer to spend a little more and get a better fit/finish with an actual Seiko. YMMV

Sounds like a good watch. Any chance of a photo or two to show us what it looks like?

There are a lot of Pro Divers.

Here is an overview: Pro Diver - Official Invicta Store - Buy Online! - https://www.invictastores.eu/collections/pro-diver/

In The Netherland's watch forum Horlogeforum the 1953 model is much debated.
There is a group buy as well as a fierce discussion about the hommage styling (to say the least)

proxy.php

For the same price point, I'd rather get a Vostok Amphibia in any manner of styles and colors. But if you want a straight forward Submariner homage, the Invicta will do. I would prefer to spend a little more and get a better fit/finish with an actual Seiko. YMMV
My problem with the Vostok is that one can't tell if they are brand new or refurbished. Plus, The ones I want are always either mid-seiko price, unavailable or don't ship to Aus :(. In terms of fit and finish, I haven't noticed anything that would resemble an obvious point of cost cutting either than maybe the weak lume. Honestly, other than the less adjustable bracelet (the links are quite big) it holds up well against an Oyster Perpetual (for what it is) and definitely holds up against a pepsi skx. Again, I understand the preference though.

tankerjohn

A little poofier than I prefer
I think it’s a cool watch. It goes on sale a lot on Amazon here in the States. I’m very tempted to grab one, but I’m not totally sold on wearing a diver. I mean, I know nobody really actually dives in these watches anymore (or at least not as the primary timekeeping instrument). But I’m not a particularly nautical guy, and they just don’t sing to me like a nice field watch.

Anyway, I agree with you that from value perspective, it is really tough to beat this watch. Maybe the Casio MDV-106 edges it out, if you get on with the quartz movement. Where the Seiko budget divers beat it is originality. Let’s face it, the Invicta is a very on the nose homage to the Submariner. Some guys are totally cool with that and it’s fine. Obviously, there are plenty Sub homages out there. But Seiko divers do have a more unique look and their own personality that is not nearly as derivative of higher end watch brands. And I think we can all agree that Vostoks definitely have their own thing going on. In summary, if you want that “super spy look on a cubicle worker’s budget”, as one website puts it, then the Invicta is a top contender for sure. Damn the watch snobs. But there are valid reasons to consider other options in the price range or a bit above.

Pagani (so) aliexpress , as mentioned meranom or chrsioplocity. San martin, Helm etc. Alot of options now. My dream watch is a Marathon gsar, outspec ed by christopher ward and glycine is even close. Good luck lol.

I think it’s a cool watch. It goes on sale a lot on Amazon here in the States. I’m very tempted to grab one, but I’m not totally sold on wearing a diver. I mean, I know nobody really actually dives in these watches anymore (or at least not as the primary timekeeping instrument). But I’m not a particularly nautical guy, and they just don’t sing to me like a nice field watch.

Anyway, I agree with you that from value perspective, it is really tough to beat this watch. Maybe the Casio MDV-106 edges it out, if you get on with the quartz movement. Where the Seiko budget divers beat it is originality. Let’s face it, the Invicta is a very on the nose homage to the Submariner. Some guys are totally cool with that and it’s fine. Obviously, there are plenty Sub homages out there. But Seiko divers do have a more unique look and their own personality that is not nearly as derivative of higher end watch brands. And I think we can all agree that Vostoks definitely have their own thing going on. In summary, if you want that “super spy look on a cubicle worker’s budget”, as one website puts it, then the Invicta is a top contender for sure. Damn the watch snobs. But there are valid reasons to consider other options in the price range or a bit above.
People who disvalue homages are some of the stupidest people I've ever met. There's only so much you can do with a watch face design, especially if you want a cleaner and more pragmatic design. But otherwise I agree with you completely. No one complains that a Blackbay looks like a sub...Its just people who can't accept that if you want the best watch a $20 Casio will keep better time than any manual movement and so therefore use cost to justify their opinion.

For the price you can't go wrong with the Invicta line, I have 2 models from them including the Grand Diver (Auto) and I am happy with both of them.

20201029_204556.jpg

I think the Invicta brand suffers from "over the top" styling of some of their other watches, which might otherwise give some people some pause when buying something like this more conventional Diver. I have never owned or held an Invicta, so I don't have much comment other than to say that all the watches posted above look good.

People who disvalue homages are some of the stupidest people I've ever met.
People are entitled to their opinion. Disparaging them does nothing to raise the discourse, and it's not what we do here on B&B.

No one complains that a Blackbay looks like a sub.
This is a valid criticism. Most dive watches not named Rolex are tipping the hat to the Sub.

Its just people who can't accept that if you want the best watch a $20 Casio will keep better time than any manual movement and so therefore use cost to justify their opinion.
A quartz will almost always keep better time than a mechanical watch. It doesn't make the $20 Casio the "best watch". It also doesn't factor in that the design and engineering of a mechanical movement is more complicated than a quartz one, thus raising the price. You've already stated that the fit and finish is similar to a Sub, so we'll just agree to disagree on that.

People who disvalue homages are some of the stupidest people I've ever met.
People are entitled to their opinion. Disparaging them does nothing to raise the discourse, and it's not what we do here on B&B.

No one complains that a Blackbay looks like a sub.
This is a valid criticism. Most dive watches not named Rolex are tipping the hat to the Sub.

Its just people who can't accept that if you want the best watch a $20 Casio will keep better time than any manual movement and so therefore use cost to justify their opinion.
A quartz will almost always keep better time than a mechanical watch. It doesn't make the $20 Casio the "best watch". It also doesn't factor in that the design and engineering of a mechanical movement is more complicated than a quartz one, thus raising the price. You've already stated that the fit and finish is similar to a Sub, so we'll just agree to disagree on that.

Far more diplomatic than what I was thinking. Nicely done.

When Invicta plays it conservatively, Invicta is at its best. And the Submariner and Speedway homages are certainly its conservative cornerstones. But it would be interesting to see Invicta try something that is perhaps conservative, yet in-house original.

I have one of their 8926OB models on a red and black Zulu strap. No complaints for the price.

But it would be interesting to see Invicta try something that is perhaps conservative, yet in-house original.
Invicta is almost a hundred years older than Rolex. They should have plenty of their own design history to draw from. There's plenty of ugly in their lineup no one would miss if they started mining their vault for designs instead of Rolex's. I could go for a surfboard chronograph.

Invicta is almost a hundred years older than Rolex. They should have plenty of their own design history to draw from. There's plenty of ugly in their lineup no one would miss if they started mining their vault for designs instead of Rolex's. I could go for a surfboard chronograph.
Wow, I'm not really a chronograph guy but damn I'd go for an affordable surfboard invicta!! Agree with everything else you said too

Invicta was the name of a defunct Swiss watch company that was bought by an American company in the 90's. What they do now has nothing to do with the original company. The surfboard chrono you cite is from Invicta before it went under, as a majority of watch brands did after the quartz crisis. Nothing wrong with current Invicta offerings if that's your thing, but there is no connection, esthetic or otherwise, to its original incarnation, although there is a new chronograph design that looks nice and is definitely retro.
On a side note, Invicta acquired Glycine a few years ago, which led to the "pre" and "post" Invicta buyout kerfuffle on the watch forums regarding quality. I personally don't think that affected Glycine quality, but there are those who do.

8926OB here. Keeps outstanding time. I never take it off unless the strap breaks. I didn't like when that happened so now I have two. I think I'm on five years and it's my favorite watch. I also agree it's hard to beat at 85 bucks or anywhere ten times that. Heck, I could buy a hundred before I got to the Rolex. Even Rolex owners are surprised by it.

Top Bottom