What's new

Introduction Nick

Good Afternoon,

Quick Introduction, I am Nick from Massachusetts. Age 38. Wet shaving approximately one year. I started with the belief you need 500-700 shaves to get the shave setup and dialed in, so I am probably 400 wet shaves in. I shave 7 days per week.

I am a head shaver and face shaver. Put around $1500 into wet shaving a year ago. I have Rapira, R89 and a TTO Vikings Blade, Olivina for Men and some shavettes. Badger are MUHLE and one Simpson. I have a Goodlines boar. Soap is Sir Hare, Captain's Choice, what the puck, MUHLE, 1912 Wickham, Martin, CELLA, WSP T-formula and some Barrister & Mann, Tabac. I also have some Stirling. With shaving I purchased some shave bowls and enjoy shaving in my bedroom instead of the sink. Blades are Rapira, MUHLE, Personna, Goodlines, Astra Superior, Derby Extra. For me I like the old shaves better. Soap is soap, it looks like soap and smells like soap. Aftershave for me is what you could find at a CVS or Walgreens, Stetson, Skin Bracer, Old Spice Classic, Aqua Velva. I have some Shea Butter, a Goodlines pencil and Argan oil. Balm is Castle Forbes and Duke Cannon. I really enjoy Clubman, though 5-6 drops is enough for me. I also have Sebum Green.

My prep is to use cold water usually for the face. Shave soap goes into the bowl and give it several minutes for face lather. I map the grain. Usually WTG and ATG for the cheeks. And WTG and ATG for the neck.

If there is one shave it is Rapira with CELLA Milano and Old Spice Classic. This morning is some WSP Tobacco and Booster Aquarius with some Tabac deodorant. I think the first moment I started appreciating wet shaving was realizing at age 37 the deodorant I had used for 20 years has a matching aftershave. And the Tabac soap has a matching deodorant.

There is a strong preference towards tallow, being a hay farmer. My great grandfather had Gillette and Merkur, Ever Ready were popular brushes. Grandfather used a Rapira Tech, it was actually a Tech head with a Lord handle. Dad I have no idea what he used, my thought is some Parker shavettes and vintage straight razors. Uncle had a Plisson and it was nothing special, and he said a shavette would work well for me though not for him. Most of my family does not use wet shaving and rarely does anyone ever talk about it. One of my uncles did have a bottle of English Leather, Aqua Velva. For nostalgia I think my grandfather might have used some Martin vetiver. I know there was some Klar, Arko and Proraso, and Williams.

What else would a wet shaver need to know. I like wood bowls, porcelain dishes and old French shave mirrors. And I like Muhle shaving mug.

I would like to use the forum for the following reasons. There is a wealth of people, knowledge of wet shaving items that a large population is aware of at Badger & Blade. And I think it is exciting to have some threads about so many topics, from the barbershop to straight razors, honing, and there are just so many ways to keep in touch with people from the world.

For brushes I like my Muhle silvertip for cream, the Pure is best for CELLA. And I like Simpsons for hard soaps such as Martin.

Something I enjoy is the WSP Tobacco with the Captain Choice scuttle. I like the burn of the Cat O Nine Tails aftershave.

Witch hazel is Texas on Fire by Stirling. Argan oil is Muhle. I use these after a rough shave.

And for a point of discussion, I would love if anyone knows of Olivina for Men, what they use. The head is far too aggressive for me. I use with a mild Personna or Derby. The Feathers I do not mind though I do not like using these and have enough inventory for at least 5 years. Handle is Ivory, if it makes a difference.

Shavette is from New England Shaving.

Another is from Plisson. Red. And a great all-aluminum design, extremely impressed with the Plisson, made by FOCUS of Italy.

All shave brushes are wood handles. Except Goodlines. And if you find the Goodlines at CVS they are a really great product.

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
Hi Nick, good to see you.
Lots of great advice here on everything from shaving to shoes, bourbon to bowling, and pipes to pens!
Shout out if you need a hand.

ajkel64

Check Out Chick
Staff member
Welcome to the forum from Australia Nick. Thanks for taking the time to introduce yourself to us.

Welcome! I’m also a fan of those old school splashes.
Thanks, for the responses. I made some quick posts today. Appreciate all the B&B members, @Ravenonrock @Tallships and @luvmysuper are my influencers. Appreciate @Phoenixkh @DEgeezer @Big_T @Arbor Man @cryhavoc @APBinNCA @timetofly @NickCutlip @Hms123 @ajkel64 @BigJ @wes1953 @RollingStop @Vulcan Bubbles and @MilkCrate

Here is the look from the PLISSON red shavette. MUHLE olive silvertip. I think it's the first posting for B&B about the shavette from Plisson. Posts very securely.
1656868078660.png

1656868392760.png

I picked up two MUHLE brushes, one medium and one large Silvertip.
1656868137591.png

I really like with the porcelain soap dish. Excellent for face lathering, hand lathering and I like the Muhle shave mug. And no, the soap dish is not for lathering in, it is to keep the soap.
1656868564567.png

Top Bottom