What's new

Introduction and Question: What do you use most?

Congratulations and welcome! One thing I learned was to control the variables when reviewing and comparing. For example, if testing a blade, it's performance characteristics may or may not vary depending on the razor, prep and soap/cream. Change one thing at a time, not multiples. Go by what works best for you, which can only be measured over time, not 1-2 shaves. Finally, more expensive doesn't automatically mean better performing. Your face ultimately decides, not the product marketers.

Welcome!

Razors: RazoRock GC 0.84 & Global Shave Tribute R41+

Soaps: MdC, DRH, and Stirling

Brushes: Simpson's Chubby 2, Alpha Shave Brush Titanium SHD Manchurian Fan, APShave Co SynBad

Blades: Feather, Polsilver SI

My kit would look a lot smaller if I got rid of everything else that's not listed here, but these are truly my favorites.

marty

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
DE: Fatip Grande/Feather.

SE: Gem MMOC/PTFE

Soaps/creams: Wickham 1912, PdP, CRS.

Brush: 22mm Maggard synthetic.

You could easily shave with what you have and be happy as long as your supplies don't run out. That's until you try something better and then your expectations completely change and you keep chasing more close amazingly magical shaves. You've been warned!

I like my Maggard V3A razor, Personna Platinum Chrome blades (formerly Voskhod), Semogue 1800 boar brush, Tabac/La Toja/TOBS/Proraso soaps and creams, and no aftershave or alum, just a nice cool water rinse once I'm done. There's nothing like a great shave.

I went further into the rabbit hole and used straight razors for pretty much all of 2018. Then I went back to DE and SE for a few months but the siren call of the open blade was strong.

I did not enjoy stopping and had no interest at all in learning to hone, so I borrowed a Feather SS folding shavette for about a week and I was sold. First shave with the borrowed SS was on August 24th. I ordered one from Amazon and have not used any other razor since then.

It was a long road, but for now I feel like I have finally found the best shaving system on the planet.

I suggest one of 2 approaches, affordable & not.

Razor
Affordable: Goodwill or NEW LC
Not: RFB, British Aristocrat

Blade
So many to choose from, find one you like.

Brush:
Affordable: Yaqi
Not: Paladin, M & F, Simpson

Soap:
Affordable: CBL Tonsorial
Not: Martin de Candre

Old Hippie

Somewhere between 61 and dead
Welcome!

There are three razors I reach for first lately:

ATT S2
PAA Starling V2 OC
ATT SE2

One DE, one Gem, one AC. I include the SE2 because I've only lately gotten a little deeper into AC format. Although the SE2 is one seriously demanding razor (for me) I'm enjoying it a bit more with guarded blades, so I'm exploring that in a somewhat gingerly fashion.

I really like Proraso Green soap, also "new" Williams Mug. I like them because I can get them locally. I recently started making my own shave soap and am enjoying using that.

I have a few brushes. At the moment my favourite is the RazoRock Beehive synthetic.

My "collection" is basically the razors I went through on my way to the ones I use more regularly. I also have a couple of lather catchers, purely for fun (Star & Gem Jr. Bar).

What takes me down the rabbit hole is likely not what takes you down the rabbit hole, but it's a hobby. Go on an extended wander through the weird and wonderful, and see where it takes you!

O.H.

The razor I consistently reach for is a Weber PH. Within the last 5 years, I've probably used that one for 95% of my shaves. Will use vintage razors for a change once in a while.

However I just got a RazoRock GC 0.68, so I've used it for the last 5 shaves.

Top Bottom