What's new

Introduction and gratitude

Greetings,

I've mainly signed up to offer my thanks to the members for all the great advice I have taken advantage of over the last few months. I may as well share my journey also.

I'm a big hairy aussie bloke that has never been able to shave properly. Over 42 years I have learned it's just something I am never going to be able to do. Or if absolutely necessary, just before special occasions once or twice a year. With the associated suffering from very nasty razor burn for the next few days. As such, wahl hair clippers are my only real face grooming for all of my adult life. Fortunately as a carpenter, I don't need to look pretty :p

Nothing worked. Electric, cartridge..... It all chewed my face up. In particular my neck and chin area.

Inspired by all the information on the net. Particularly here. I figured I would give de safety razor a crack. It all made sense to me. The mechanics of it. The nature and properties of the single edge blade etc...

All I really wanted to accomplish was to shave once every week or so. If I could have that. I would be very happy. Freshly shaven is a wonderful feeling. It's just that it only ever lasted a few hours before the pain set in for days.

The journey starts about 3 months ago. I've been averaging one shave per week.

I worked out a budget beginners kit. Figuring if it didn't work, I haven't over invested. No real loss. I bought a Maggards open comb head, mr5 blue handle, proraso sensitive soap sample, omega s-brush, blade sampler, and some witch hazel from the local chemist. All up a pretty cheap little kit.

While that was coming I read all I could. Watched many many youtube vids. It seemed to me the beginner fundamentals were; least pressure as possible, short light strokes, don't press hard, don't skimp on lathering, use a very light touch.

First shave; loaded a voshkod. Result: I was rather speechless. Very little rash other than some low down on my neck. I had over a weeks growth. Which in hindsight was a little too much. My whiskers aren't as dense as some. But they are very thick and heavy. So I was excited that maybe this would work out as I had hoped. Even with this long growth, I had less burn than ever before.

Next shave not so great. Even though I made sure I was cutting less growth. About 3-4 days. I used a gsb. Significant burn on lower neck, chin and sides of chin.
So I spent some more time researching technique. Found out how important face mapping is. Also realised it probably wasn't all my own fault. Maybe the blade just didn't agree with me.

Third shave loaded a Gillette yellow. Used my knowledge of my neck hair directions to go only with the grain for 2 passes. Best shave ever. For the first time in my life I have experienced a near irritation free shave. What a feeling. I will never forget that shave.

Used the same blade for two more shaves. Each time a little more perfect. Then switched to a perma-sharp. Wow. This truly was what I had always dreamed was possible. A completely irritation free shave. I had achieved shaving perfection at last! And it was only my third or forth attempt! Boy was I happy.

By now I have the bug. Bad. Proraso pre/post shave cream, arko stick, alum block, barrister and Mann samples, Maggards barbershop soap and AS,Lucky tiger toner. Scored a tub of TOBS sandalwood, la toja and Palmolive stick from a friend. Very generous. Love it all.

So far blades I have tried are as above. Along with Derby, and kai. By far the best are the perma sharps, Gillette yellows and kai. Derby and gsb seem to cause razor burn. Voshkod is somewhere in between. Even bad blades are better than my best ever cartridge shave however. By miles. The three good ones are as good as each other. I can get perfect shaves with those.

So it seems my face likes the sharper blades maybe? I have many more in my sampler to try yet. How exciting!

I couldn't help myself. I purchased a R41 head and a Parker variant. I haven't used them yet. I want to get very proficient with the one I started with first. But you can see I have the bug bad. I have plans for a b & m Lavanille soap and AS set. Also a fine l'orange set. Maybe also a Maggards black and white brush. Maybe for Christmas :p

But I'm happy to stop for now. Sabbatical time. Get my technique down more and more and just enjoy the journey and products I already have. I haven't cut myself even once as yet. Just one or two tiny weekend from going too fast. So I figure I'm going ok and should just keep doing that.

Many thanks to all the members. You help more blokes than you can know. 4 months ago I was just a guy that could never shave. Now I look forward to the weekly or bi-weekly ceremony.

Many thanks,

Big Nickita.

Welcome to B&B @Big Nickita. Thank you for the update of your progress. Please keep us up to date on your shaving journey and if you have any questions feel free to ask.

But I'm happy to stop for now. Sabbatical time. Get my technique down more and more and just enjoy the journey and products I already have. I haven't cut myself even once as yet. Just one or two tiny weekend from going too fast. So I figure I'm going ok and should just keep doing that.

Sounds like a good plan. Enjoy your shaves! :001_smile

Thanks for the welcome. I can start by posting this awesome bowl I found cheap on ebay. It's hollow brass
DSC_0023.JPG

Welcome to B&B. The GSB is a fairly sharp blade. Blades are a very individual preference, however. Plus, your opinion of them may change as you develop your technique and try new razors. What works in your Maggard's razor may not work in the R.41.

Welcome to B&B from the UK. I'm glad to learn that you're enjoying your DE journey. Something that might help is to avoid the temptation to constantly swap around between different blades. Stick to one type for a bit and you might find your results improve.
Looking ahead, your job means you should be able to knock up a really nice shaving shelf or cabinet, and perhaps even turn some nice brush handles.

Welcome to B&B.
Finding the right blade for takes time but very enjoyable when you find it. Good lather is also a very important element in the shave.
Happy days shaving with the DE.

Greetings,

I've mainly signed up to offer my thanks to the members for all the great advice I have taken advantage of over the last few months. I may as well share my journey also.

I'm a big hairy aussie bloke that has never been able to shave properly. Over 42 years I have learned it's just something I am never going to be able to do. Or if absolutely necessary, just before special occasions once or twice a year. With the associated suffering from very nasty razor burn for the next few days. As such, wahl hair clippers are my only real face grooming for all of my adult life. Fortunately as a carpenter, I don't need to look pretty :p

Nothing worked. Electric, cartridge..... It all chewed my face up. In particular my neck and chin area.

Inspired by all the information on the net. Particularly here. I figured I would give de safety razor a crack. It all made sense to me. The mechanics of it. The nature and properties of the single edge blade etc...

All I really wanted to accomplish was to shave once every week or so. If I could have that. I would be very happy. Freshly shaven is a wonderful feeling. It's just that it only ever lasted a few hours before the pain set in for days.

I worked out a budget beginners kit. Figuring if it didn't work, I haven't over invested. No real loss. I bought a Maggards open comb head, mr5 blue handle, proraso sensitive soap sample, omega s-brush, blade sampler, and some witch hazel from the local chemist. All up a pretty cheap little kit.

While that was coming I read all I could. Watched many many youtube vids. It seemed to me the beginner fundamentals were; least pressure as possible, short light strokes, don't press hard, don't skimp on lathering, use a very light touch.

First shave; loaded a voshkod. Result: I was rather speechless. Very little rash other than some low down on my neck. I had over a weeks growth. Which in hindsight was a little too much. My whiskers aren't as dense as some. But they are very thick and heavy. So I was excited that maybe this would work out as I had hoped. Even with this long growth, I had less burn than ever before.

Next shave not so great. Even though I made sure I was cutting less growth. About 3-4 days. I used a gsb. Significant burn on lower neck, chin and sides of chin.
So I spent some more time researching technique. Found out how important face mapping is. Also realised it probably wasn't all my own fault. Maybe the blade just didn't agree with me.

Third shave loaded a Gillette yellow. Used my knowledge of my neck hair directions to go only with the grain for 2 passes. Best shave ever. For the first time in my life I have experienced a near irritation free shave. What a feeling. I will never forget that shave.

Used the same blade for two more shaves. Each time a little more perfect. Then switched to a perma-sharp. Wow. This truly was what I had always dreamed was possible. A completely irritation free shave. I had achieved shaving perfection at last! And it was only my third or forth attempt! Boy was I happy.

By now I have the bug. Bad. Proraso pre/post shave cream, arko stick, alum block, barrister and Mann samples, Maggards barbershop soap and AS,Lucky tiger toner. Scored a tub of TOBS sandalwood, la toja and Palmolive stick from a friend. Very generous. Love it all.

So far blades I have tried are as above. Along with Derby, and kai. By far the best are the perma sharps, Gillette yellows and kai. Derby and gsb seem to cause razor burn. Voshkod is somewhere in between. Even bad blades are better than my best ever cartridge shave however. By miles. The three good ones are as good as each other. I can get perfect shaves with those.

So it seems my face likes the sharper blades maybe? I have many more in my sampler to try yet. How exciting!

I couldn't help myself. I purchased a R41 head and a Parker variant. I haven't used them yet. I want to get very proficient with the one I started with first. But you can see I have the bug bad. I have plans for a b & m Lavanille soap and AS set. Also a fine l'orange set. Maybe also a Maggards black and white brush. Maybe for Christmas :p

Many thanks to all the members. You help more blokes than you can know. 4 months ago I was just a guy that could never shave. Now I look forward to the weekly or bi-weekly ceremony.

Many thanks,

Big Nickita.
Great story, and a great post.

I might add, especially while still refining one's technique, that shaving more often makes for easier shaves. In general, it's easier and more comfortable knocking down a 1 or 2 day beard, than a week long beard.

If you like to give your face a little rest, shaving every other day can work quite well. I've found now that I'm getting pretty good DE shaves, my 2nd day out from a good DE shave isn't much worse than on the very day of my old disposable razor shaves!

Welcome to B&B, @Big Nickita! I am so glad to hear of your success with DE shaving, particularly in light of your previous difficulties with shaving. Thanks very much for sharing your story with us. :thumbup1:

Greetings,

Many thanks,

Big Nickita.
Welcome aboard Nickita from across the ditch.. sounds like you've found yourself a winning combination. If you haven't tried a feather blade I would definitely recommend it, also check out the great southern land subforum of the barbershop forum.

If you are only going to shave weekly or bi-weekly. Might I suggest face lathering rather then in a bowl. It will massage your whiskers and make them stand up more, making them easier to cut. Face lathering is just applying your shave creme or Arko stick directly to your face and using your brush to create a lather on your face rather then in a bowl. Good luck and have fun with this hobby.

Thanks for the warm welcome everyone.

Some responses;

I usually give a blade at least 3 tries before passing judgement. That way I can be fairly sure it's not just technique. I'm also aware blades can come good after the first shave with them. Strangely, with the Derby, while it didn't give me the most irritation free shave. Certainly gave me the closest so far. More experimenting required there.

I most certainly plan on making a/series of mirrored cabinets for the bathroom. I've set myself some theoretical limits. 10 soaps and aftershaves, 3 razors, two brushes. I figure no more than one cabinets worth. I live in a rural area in a cozy cabin. I can't afford to acquire too much stuff.

I've been trying to pay particular attention to lathering. It's clearly quite the art. Learning the individual soap and it's needs. Fortunately I live on rainwater. It doesn't get any softer and more pure than that. So I'm lucky there. I primarily face lather. The bowl is for resting and soaking the brush, and dishing out portions of samples where loading from the puck/tub then going straight to face isn't feasible. I'm still surprised at the time blokes spend lathering on videos. It's obviously very important.

I haven't shaved less than 3 days apart at this stage. Which is why I went the open comb route. This is for several reasons. A) I don't need to. My work doesn't require it. B) I don't want the novelty to wear off too quickly. I enjoy the process and wish to keep it that way. C) if more than 3 days growth, I run the wahl over it to bring it down to a sensible length.

Feather is in my sampler. I will probably try it next now :p

:)

Welcome from another Southerner. Great tale indeed and I sympathise with the whole "spent my whole life not enjoying shaving" sentiment.

GSB are the sharpest blade I've ever experienced, no surprise they did some damage. Recently I manages to tame them with good lanolin shaving soap. Mitchell's and Haslinger, both available locally. You're probably not aspiring to daily BBS shaves, but they may well be the next level of 'wow' to consider.

Good luck!

Welcome and try to keep that RAD, BAD, SAD in check!

As time progresses you'll see that things you didn't think were possible just "magically" seem to happen. You say you were never really able to shave often, but with time don't rule it out. I for one never thought I'd be able to go against the grain without being full of irritation, and I still don't do it very often. But the point is that I can now do it, and that's something I didn't think was possible. So don't rule anything out, but don't rush anything either. Enjoy the process and enjoy the shaves.

And don't be afraid of the novelty fading away. If you like it you like it, if you don't you don't. Obviously don't irritate your face too often, but don't be afraid of shaving when you feel a need to (and actually have something there to shave). I think each of us like wet shaving for a different reason. Some like how comfortable it is (for a shave). Some like the variety of soaps and razors they can use.

But me, I enjoy the process of taking some time for myself where I can turn a chore into a form of meditation, without meaning to sound too over-the-top. It's not about all the different soaps, I almost exclusively use arko or anything I can get for cheaper than 3 dollars. It's not about the razors because even though I'm searching for that ONE razor, I eventually plan on thinning down to 3 or 4 final razors I'll rotate. It's not about all the fancy brushes because I prefer boar to badger (nothing wrong with boars). It's about what I stated at the beginning of this paragraph. If it wasn't for that, I'd use an electric shaver and be done with it.

But figure out why you like this way, and when you come to a conclusion it'll hopefully be one that will keep you coming back to it regardless of whether you shave daily or weekly. Everyone has a different reason but at the end of the day we are all here, so there's no one reason that is better or worse. The end is the same.

So don't hold back on shaving if it's something you can tolerate and enjoy. Life is too short to hold back on something we enjoy (so long as it doesn't destroy our health or sanity before it's "our time") doing. If it's for you, you won't tire of it.

End of rant :.

Welcome! lol.

Top Bottom