What's new

Introducing the Blackland Era - 100% stainless steel. 3D printed. $75

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
Do most people loosen the handle when they rinse the razor during the shave? I never knew I was supposed to do this but maybe it rinses more thoroughly... I usually turn the razor in all directions under running water and it usually rinses out whiskers and soap adequate enough for my second pass.

Since I always take my razor apart and rinse every part under water, I always notice a layer of whiskers/soap residue that accumulated on the blade under the top cap that doesn't get rinsed so maybe by loosening the handle during rinsing, this build up will never occur during the shave?
I leave my razor tightened up to rinse as needed throughout my shave. After my shave, I disassemble my razor, rinse each piece thoroughly and dry. :)

My replacement top cap arrived and I no longer have alignment issues. I tried 3 different blades and even tried to misalign each with no success. I am very much enjoying the shaves I'm getting from the Era level 5 OC. It's easily one of the most comfortable OC razors I've used while also being extremely efficient.

One other comment I would make to Shane is to recommend a lighter handle to sell as an option. Given the target market, aluminum is likely the best bet, although I use a titanium handle with it (and most razors). The weight will be comparable with the cartridge the user is coming from, and it might be cheaper to produce as well.

BradWorld

Dances with Wolfs
@Blackland Razors …. Shane, can you tell me when the Level 5 SB will be available? I should have added that to my original order, but did not foresee that I would need the highest level plates. Thanks.

I think I’d read that a restock was happening this week, is that still on track? Maybe a Friday release for weekend shopping?

BradWorld

Dances with Wolfs
Make sure you're on our newsletter. We'll be announcing shortly. :)
@Blackland Razors I just received an email from Thursday evening that said the ERA was back. I was on a long international flight, and this is the first opportunity I have had to catch up on my emails. However, the SB Level 4 and 5 are still sold out. Did they sell out that fast? Did I miss out? Or is that stock still coming soon? Sorry for the questions, but I really would like to get those two plates. Thanks.

The3D layer lines are are bit finer in the production version and normal lighting hides them much better than this photo does. But the reality is that they’re part of the process. Within a couple years we’ll be able to completely eliminate them altogether. This is where the tech is for now and I love seeing the layer lines.

Regarding tolerances, this isn’t like normal 3D printing at all. It’s a hybrid model using both printing and CNC combined. Then, we actually do some post machining after the print on shave-critical surfaces to ensure proper blade gap, exposure, and alignment. So we’re really getting CNC-level tolerances because we’re also using CNC. This has been the trickiest engineering bit to get those tolerances tight.

Not need for much of a curve when you’re clamping the blade a mm from the edge. Flatter cap and plate means we can fit more parts in the printer which is the name of the game for driving costs down. A lot of attention went into how flat we could go.

17-4 in the head with 303 handles. Not much to it except that material is what my manufacture has currently chosen to focus printing on and it’s certainly more than capable for the application.
Which 3D/CNC hybrid machine is it?

BradWorld

Dances with Wolfs
I finally was able to get the Level 5 SB plate. It was a long wait. Not sure if I missed a drop along the way. Or if that one particular plate was just out of stock for months. But I finally got one. Threw a couple others in the cart as well. For $35 a plate, why not. I will start rotating through them tomorrow morning.

FE050E25-B10D-44DA-BFB0-77853CB91818.jpeg

After a few months, trying a lot of different blades, Era is a winner, very, very good razor. I use #5 SB.
Agreed. The Era has unseated the Blackbird as my favorite razor. Initially I thought the handle was too heavy, but in use it feels very well balanced. I also appreciate how the blade is clamped so close to the edge. Era 5SB reminds me of a slightly more aggressive Sabre in hand and face feel.

Eric_75

Not made for these times.
The Era has unseated the Blackbird as my favorite razor. Initially I thought the handle was too heavy, but in use it feels very well balanced. I also appreciate how the blade is clamped so close to the edge.
I need to check the order status of mine. Can't wait to get a shave in with it. :001_smile

Era - OC/L4

Top Bottom