What's new

Introducing the Blackland Era - 100% stainless steel. 3D printed. $75

@Blackland Razors Shane, I had one question on the ordering process for the Era. I know you all have that nice 30-day trial period for your razors. Will that extend to the plates on something like the Era? Just curious what happens if you like the razor but want to dial in the plates, if you can return the one(s) you have within that 30-day window in exchange for something different on the aggression scale. Thanks!

Not dropping in May would have been helpful information - I refresh the page several times a day because I am really interested in this razor - it will be a stainless competitor to RazoRock and made in the USA is wonderful - but I don’t much like thinking it’s imminent when it isn’t!

Shouldn't be a surprise coming from me. I think blade tabs are useful and should be a part of all DE razors. We can disagree on this, but I don't see my mind changing.
I don't mind mind tabs but the covered tabs/alignment dilemma was elegantly solved pretty much by the Conrad patent for the Barbasol razors in 1933.

proxy.php
proxy.php
proxy.php

Sent from my Pixel 4a using Tapatalk

Not dropping in May would have been helpful information - I refresh the page several times a day because I am really interested in this razor - it will be a stainless competitor to RazoRock and made in the USA is wonderful - but I don’t much like thinking it’s imminent when it isn’t!

There is basically no need to check the website ever. Sign up for our email newsletter and follow along on social media.

We’re clearly missing May due to some delays, but that’s why it was “expected” and not definite. The final production loose ends are being tidied up and it will launch when it’s done and done right. There will be reviews and additional information rolling out as we get closer. Trust me, you don’t need to check the website and when we have a release date you won’t be able to miss it.

Last edited:
There is basically no need to check the website ever. Sign up for our email newsletter and follow along on social media.

We’re clearly missing May due to some delays, but that’s why it was “expected” and not definite. The final production loose ends are being tidied up and it will launch when it’s done and done right. There will be reviews and additional information rolling out as we get closer. Trust me, you don’t need to check the website and when we have a release date you won’t be able to miss it.
I’m traumatized as a buyer - everything I like sells out in 4 minutes - a Great Eastern Cutlery a d Chris Reeve Knives, any firearm imaginable lol - I have nightmares of hitting the site when it drops and I can’t add to my cart! I hear you and will keep an eye out!

I’m traumatized as a buyer - everything I like sells out in 4 minutes - a Great Eastern Cutlery a d Chris Reeve Knives, any firearm imaginable lol - I have nightmares of hitting the site when it drops and I can’t add to my cart! I hear you and will keep an eye out!

It's true the Era will probably sell out quickly in months 1-3 during the soft launch as we build into full production. When we have a release we always announce that date and time a few days prior through all those channels and we don't randomly release things without warning. Generally, launches and resupplies happen on Saturdays and we'll send an announcement by Weds/Thurs of that week to give ample warning.

Are those review copies any closer to being sent out? I understand a lack of release, but I hoped to see some reviews by now.

If you're on the email list, there was an update about it.

Are those review copies any closer to being sent out? I understand a lack of release, but I hoped to see some reviews by now.

Sure. Every day that passes we are closer to both reviews and the release. Review samples and the actual launch are linked pretty directly so the forces that delay the launch also delay reviews. But it doesn't really matter because the gap between reviews and the launch remains pretty constant. They just shift together.

I should say that there really isn't a delay in any strict sense. It's more that predictions are hard to make for something that I've never done and that nobody has ever done. The timeline for this isn't important to me. Maybe I shouldn't have had said that the release is expected in May, but that's what it looked like at the time. No big deal. We're really close to wrapping this up and even if it were to take until October or November or 2025 I wouldn't mind. This is about doing it correctly on a scale several times greater than any product we've ever made. It will be done when it's done and it will be done right.

Last edited:
I appreciate you answering questions here on the forum. That can be a tricky thing for a vendor. Good luck with your release. Doing it right instead of fast is a good idea IMO. I’m not a customer of yours but the ERA might change that. Cheers and have a good weekend everyone
Sure. Every day that passes we are closer to both reviews and the release. Review samples and the actual launch are linked pretty directly so the forces that delay the launch also delay reviews. But it doesn't really matter because the gap between when reviews and the launch remains pretty constant. They just shift together.

I should say that there really isn't a delay in any strict sense. It's more that predictions are hard to make for something that I've never done and that nobody has ever done. The timeline for this isn't important to me. Maybe I shouldn't have had said that the release is expected in May, but that's what it looked like at the time. No big deal. We're really close to wrapping this up and even if it were to take until October or November or 2025 I wouldn't mind. This is about doing it correctly on a scale several times greater than any product we've ever made. It will be done when it's done and it will be done right.

I appreciate you answering questions here on the forum. That can be a tricky thing for a vendor. Good luck with your release. Doing it right instead of fast is a good idea IMO. I’m not a customer of yours but the ERA might change that. Cheers and have a good weekend everyone
I have only been in this traditional shaving gig since Nov 2020. In that short time I have spent some time with various Merkur, Muhle, Henson, Rockwell, Gillette, Stirling, and Karve razors. I have seen names of other vendors, including Blackland, but needed to discipline myself from paying too much attention because I need to focus on what I have and limit compulsive spending.

I have been following this discussion, and listened to interviews with Shane. I wanted to add my respect for Shane's business integrity. I am already a fan of Blackland, even though I have not owned a Blackland razor. Yet!

I heard that they are printing the update soon
😂🤣😄

Lol. Solid.

Yea we thought everything was squared away on the production side, but we ran into an issue that, like most issues, is taking longer to resolve that expected. After chasing our tails for several weeks I think we have our fix and I’ll be announcing that once it’s confirmed.

So did I miss something? Or has the era not arrived yet.

Not quite yet. Here's a brief update I shared on another forum and forgot to share here.

Lots of movement on the Era over the last few weeks. Preparing to scale into full production turned out to be a bit more problematic than expected. We've had to change the printing orientation of both head components to increase yield and speed up print times. There are some interesting and complicated technical reasons for this that I won't get into, but it's a nontrivial decision process. This also coincides with 3DEO bringing their next-gen printers online. These new models can print much faster and the new build volume allows for more efficient packing, even with the new print orientation. The takeaway from this switch is that production will be more dependable and robust as we increase production quantities. None of this changes the end product and we're feeling good about how this will impact our ability to scale production when required. We're doing a bit more testing on this now for validation and it's promising so far. The finish is now dialed in and full production is scheduled and will be starting imminently.

In the meantime, I've been using the finalized Era exclusively for the last couple weeks. You shouldn't take my word for it, but it's a good product. Really good. The blade clamping is insane and likely the best on the market (maybe the best possible for a DE?). The result of this is a shave that feels almost closer to an SE than a DE since the blade is so stable. It's really smooth at all levels with less blade feel than Blackland is generally known for and I'm loving the shaves. This release announcement has been a bit of a **** show, but I'm so proud of this thing that it doesn't matter. It's been nearly two years since we began and we'll keep pushing until it's finally in your hands.

[Image: photo-2.jpg]

Top Bottom