What's new

Introducing the Blackland Era - 100% stainless steel. 3D printed. $75

Blackland Counter to.jpg

Blackland Banner Trials 11.jpg

The Era is the first mass produced 3D-printed metal razor. We've spent the last eighteen months developing the design and technology in lockstep to make a product like this feasible and the result is nothing short of revelatory. This is the future of American manufacturing and I'm deeply proud to be on the forefront.

The basics
  • 100% stainless steel
  • 100% made in the USA, down the packaging
  • Metal 3D printed head using the most sophisticated tech in existence
  • Tolerances as tight as CNC machined razors
  • Five base plate levels in both open comb and safety bar for a total of ten base plate options
  • Perfect edge-to-edge blade clamping
  • Impossible to clog
  • Durable and stunning black finish
  • Semi-hollow handle for ideal balance and weight distribution
  • Six grip rings included to add grip when you want it
  • Full razor starts at $75
  • Expected release in May

For all the details, read our newsletter. Join me on Facebook Live this Friday at 4pm PDT where I'll be fielding questions.

Lefonque

Even more clueless than you
Looks very interesting. The more I read the more I like. It is really innovative and will be accessible for most pockets. Hopefully mine.
Really unprecedented process of production. Shane said it has not been without its issues along the way. I cannot wait to find out what kind of shave this will give.
Bravo Blackland and well done Shane.

Last edited:
+1000 Congratulations Shane! I just finished reading the newsletter, looks amazing, and I bet the stories and learning experiences from this whole process are incredible as well!

I'm a bit skeptical that it accomplishes CNC-level tolerances and the 3D printing seams are a bit too visible for my taste, but from what you said on the LatherTalk podcast it seems that you already have an answer for the seams, and it's hard to judge tolerances from a picture. Are there plans to eventually release it without a coating? Perhaps even polished? Also, could you talk about the choice to have minimal curvature on the blade (if I'm looking at the pictures correctly)? From what I understand of the physics, curvature helps increase rigidity, assuming it needs anymore.

If you could also speak about your choice of stainless steel type, like the differences between the 17 something choice and the standard 303 or 316, it would be nice.

I'm a bit skeptical that it accomplishes CNC-level tolerances and the 3D printing seams are a bit too visible for my taste, but from what you said on the LatherTalk podcast it seems that you already have an answer for the seams, and it's hard to judge tolerances from a picture. Are there plans to eventually release it without a coating? Perhaps even polished? Also, could you talk about the choice to have minimal curvature on the blade (if I'm looking at the pictures correctly)? From what I understand of the physics, curvature helps increase rigidity, assuming it needs anymore.

If you could also speak about your choice of stainless steel type, like the differences between the 17 something choice and the standard 303 or 316, it would be nice.

The3D layer lines are are bit finer in the production version and normal lighting hides them much better than this photo does. But the reality is that they’re part of the process. Within a couple years we’ll be able to completely eliminate them altogether. This is where the tech is for now and I love seeing the layer lines.

Regarding tolerances, this isn’t like normal 3D printing at all. It’s a hybrid model using both printing and CNC combined. Then, we actually do some post machining after the print on shave-critical surfaces to ensure proper blade gap, exposure, and alignment. So we’re really getting CNC-level tolerances because we’re also using CNC. This has been the trickiest engineering bit to get those tolerances tight.

Not need for much of a curve when you’re clamping the blade a mm from the edge. Flatter cap and plate means we can fit more parts in the printer which is the name of the game for driving costs down. A lot of attention went into how flat we could go.

17-4 in the head with 303 handles. Not much to it except that material is what my manufacture has currently chosen to focus printing on and it’s certainly more than capable for the application.

Last edited:

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
View attachment 1251668
View attachment 1251669

The Era is the first mass produced 3D-printed metal razor. We've spent the last eighteen months developing the design and technology in lockstep to make a product like this feasible and the result is nothing short of revelatory. This is the future of American manufacturing and I'm deeply proud to be on the forefront.

The basics
  • 100% stainless steel
  • 100% made in the USA, down the packaging
  • Metal 3D printed head using the most sophisticated tech in existence
  • Tolerances as tight as CNC machined razors
  • Five base plate levels in both open comb and safety bar for a total of ten base plate options
  • Perfect edge-to-edge blade clamping
  • Impossible to clog
  • Durable and stunning black finish
  • Semi-hollow handle for ideal balance and weight distribution
  • Six grip rings included to add grip when you want it
  • Full razor starts at $75
  • Expected release in May

For all the details, read our newsletter. Join me on Facebook Live this Friday at 4pm PDT where I'll be fielding questions.

Congratulations Shane! :)

When and where will I be able to sign up? :)

Top Bottom