What's new

Introducing the Blackland Era - 100% stainless steel. 3D printed. $75

Not quite yet. Here's a brief update I shared on another forum and forgot to share here.

Lots of movement on the Era over the last few weeks. Preparing to scale into full production turned out to be a bit more problematic than expected. We've had to change the printing orientation of both head components to increase yield and speed up print times. There are some interesting and complicated technical reasons for this that I won't get into, but it's a nontrivial decision process. This also coincides with 3DEO bringing their next-gen printers online. These new models can print much faster and the new build volume allows for more efficient packing, even with the new print orientation. The takeaway from this switch is that production will be more dependable and robust as we increase production quantities. None of this changes the end product and we're feeling good about how this will impact our ability to scale production when required. We're doing a bit more testing on this now for validation and it's promising so far. The finish is now dialed in and full production is scheduled and will be starting imminently.

In the meantime, I've been using the finalized Era exclusively for the last couple weeks. You shouldn't take my word for it, but it's a good product. Really good. The blade clamping is insane and likely the best on the market (maybe the best possible for a DE?). The result of this is a shave that feels almost closer to an SE than a DE since the blade is so stable. It's really smooth at all levels with less blade feel than Blackland is generally known for and I'm loving the shaves. This release announcement has been a bit of a **** show, but I'm so proud of this thing that it doesn't matter. It's been nearly two years since we began and we'll keep pushing until it's finally in your hands.

[Image: photo-2.jpg]

It's clear a lot of work was put into making this, glad to see it's nearly ready. Congrats!

Question for you: if someone were torn between getting the Era or the Blackbird, how would you describe the feel of the two razors to help them make a decision?

Not quite yet. Here's a brief update I shared on another forum and forgot to share here.

Lots of movement on the Era over the last few weeks. Preparing to scale into full production turned out to be a bit more problematic than expected. We've had to change the printing orientation of both head components to increase yield and speed up print times. There are some interesting and complicated technical reasons for this that I won't get into, but it's a nontrivial decision process. This also coincides with 3DEO bringing their next-gen printers online. These new models can print much faster and the new build volume allows for more efficient packing, even with the new print orientation. The takeaway from this switch is that production will be more dependable and robust as we increase production quantities. None of this changes the end product and we're feeling good about how this will impact our ability to scale production when required. We're doing a bit more testing on this now for validation and it's promising so far. The finish is now dialed in and full production is scheduled and will be starting imminently.

In the meantime, I've been using the finalized Era exclusively for the last couple weeks. You shouldn't take my word for it, but it's a good product. Really good. The blade clamping is insane and likely the best on the market (maybe the best possible for a DE?). The result of this is a shave that feels almost closer to an SE than a DE since the blade is so stable. It's really smooth at all levels with less blade feel than Blackland is generally known for and I'm loving the shaves. This release announcement has been a bit of a **** show, but I'm so proud of this thing that it doesn't matter. It's been nearly two years since we began and we'll keep pushing until it's finally in your hands.

[Image: photo-2.jpg]
How could you forget your friends at Badger & Blade?

Question for you: if someone were torn between getting the Era or the Blackbird, how would you describe the feel of the two razors to help them make a decision?

The Era has less blade feel, but roughly similar results at L5 when compared with the Blackbird. The Blackbird is a more unique shaving experience and looks cooler.

I’m hoping the Era is a bit on the milder side.

It has five levels, 3-4 of which are pretty mild.

How could you forget your friends at Badger & Blade?

<3

Last edited:
I'm really liking great blade clamping type razors.

Edit: I'm hoping for some top level efficiency from the ERA.

I been put that money unda my mattress and I'm finna wait but I swear I would flip that mattress with my wife still lying in it so quickly, the Earth would wobble! Still very excited about this release! I'm fairly certain it'll sell out before I even get to that morning's email announcement *sigh*

I been put that money unda my mattress and I'm finna wait but I swear I would flip that mattress with my wife still lying in it so quickly, the Earth would wobble! Still very excited about this release! I'm fairly certain it'll sell out before I even get to that morning's email announcement *sigh*
Given that the hope for this new tool was last May I think that your wife can sleep easy.

I'm fairly certain it'll sell out before I even get to that morning's email announcement *sigh*

It will probably sell out quickly for each of the first three months due to artificially limited production. This is our Soft Launch while we ratchet up production quantities to work through any kinks. After this period we’ll open the floodgates to match demand.

I was hoping that the product announcement he made for Saturday would be the Era, but it wasn't. I'm holding off buying a brass OC plate for my Brass'Bird because of the cost of shipping, hoping to combine an Era and brass OC plate in one order, but I think I'll be out of luck for the brass plate to still be in stock by the time the Era comes out.

I was hoping that the product announcement he made for Saturday would be the Era, but it wasn't. I'm holding off buying a brass OC plate for my Brass'Bird because of the cost of shipping, hoping to combine an Era and brass OC plate in one order, but I think I'll be out of luck for the brass plate to still be in stock by the time the Era comes out.

The brass OC plate is the brass part we have the most of so there's a fair chance it'll still be here.

Top Bottom