What's new

Introducing myself, my shave history

Hey everyone, I'm relatively new to the forum (as a member, I've been reading posts here for months), and I've been DE shaving for a bit over 2 months now and have loved every minute of it. For any of you interested, I'll briefly introduce myself and then run through my shaving history. I'm sure that most of you don't care, and I do not begrudge you for that in the slightest, you're more than welcome to stop reading right here. I thank you for opening the post to begin with though! For the rest of you that are bored and want a bit of reading to put you to sleep, thanks for being so welcoming to the community, I have already had conversations with several of you, and I am looking forward to learning much more from all of you, sharing opinions and discoveries back and forth with you, and inviting even newer members than myself to the forum. So buckle up and here we go!

My name is Henry, and I'm an American grad student of Finnish and Italian ancestry that is conducting grad studies in the field of immunobiology in Germany. I'm an avid outdoorsman, hobbiest knifemaker, a proud Yooper (for those of you unfamiliar with the term, it means I'm from the Upper Peninsula, though I'm sure google could have told you that), and I will soon be starting a research project in an Ebola laboratory in Hamburg. Enough about me though, this is a shaving forum, not a talk about Henry forum, let's get to the razors!

My first razor (that I remember at least) was a Gillette Fusion 5 (could've been a Fusion 5 Proglide, but if you put a gun to my head and made me choose, I would say I think it was just the plain Fusion 5) that I got as a birthday present quite a while back. Let me tell you, I hated the thing, I got irritation almost every shave, particularly on my neck and under my jaw (I'd assume because there was an overabundance of blades, and the fact that I had to go over each area so many times to get it smooth that each area of my face probably had 25-40 blades pass over it each shave depending on what part of my face it was). And the cost of replacing the cartridges meant that I ended up using each cartridge for many months at a time to try to save money.

Then probably my senior year of high school, I was fed up with the Gillette and bought myself a 12 pack of Wilkinson Sword disposable razors for about $9 or $10. The difference between the Gillette Fusion and the Wilkinson Sword disposables was night and day, and not in the way you'd probably expect. The Wilkinson's cut down my irritation by at least 50% from day 1! Not to mention the fact that I only had to do a with the grain and against the grain to get pretty darn smooth, as opposed to my customary 5-8 passes (in seemingly every direction) with the Fusion! Furthermore, for whatever reason, whereas I could feel the Fusion cartridges dulling after a few weeks or a month of shaving, and then powering through a few more months of less than comfortable shaves, I felt that the Wilkinson disposables stayed moderately sharp for ages. I would occasionally "strop" them by sliding them the opposite direction on my forearm maybe every other shave, and I did actually strop them on a belt about once a month, which I know is crazy to do with a $0.07 disposable, but what can I say, I was (and still am) a poor student. In any case, once I went 13 months on one disposable Wilkinson Sword razor just to say I did, and to be honest I could've gone longer but I figured there was no point. Well, here we are, I think about 7 years since the switch to the Fusion to the Wilkinsons, and I think I've still got 2 of the original 12 pack I initially bought left.

Just to briefly mention what shaving creams and aftershave I used from the time I started shaving until "The DE Revolution" (which was like I said at the beginning, a bit more than 2 months ago now), I always used literally the cheapest or most discounted shaving foam I could find. Sometimes if Barbasol was on sale, that was what I got, sometimes I got store brands, and here in Germany I was using "Pure and Basic Shaving Foam" (the brand name Pure and Basic pretty much says it all). In regards to aftershave, I started off with Aqua Velva Ice Blue and that was my exclusive aftershave until I discovered Pinaud Clubman when I think I was a sophomore in my undergrad, maybe a junior, which was 3-4 years ago. From that time, that was all I used until the DE Revolution.

Fast forward to perhaps four months ago, and we have Henry, bored out of his skull in the laboratory waiting for a PCR reaction to finish so I could continue with the experiment, when all of a sudden I had a DE shaving video pop up in my Youtube recommended list. Why? I don't know, I assume I was watching a knife making video, or something about traditional Finnish axes, but alas, I clicked the video. Well, as they say, one thing led to another, I found this forum and started reading reviews of all the products that seemed cool to me. I also needed justification to buy any of it, since I am an absolutely broke grad student, but that was pretty easy to take care of. My justification is that other than a few football scarves of Borussia Mönchengladbach (the German club I've supported for years), I literally hadn't bought any souvenirs in my time here in Germany, and I figured I should get something to commemorate my time here. Well, Solingen is pretty close to where I study, and my student public transit pass even covers the trains and buses to there for free, so I've been there a couple times (again, as a knifemaker, that was a pretty big attraction to me), and I had seen that Merkur of Solingen razors were almost universally praised, so voilá, there was my justification for buying a DE razor (also, when I said that 50% of the irritation went away from switching from the Fusion to the disposables, the other 50% never did go away, on my neck particularly, no matter what I tried, so I figured if nothing else, the DE might actually help with it). I got the Merkur 33C, and also bought a small assortment of soaps to go along with the Háttric aftershave I had already been using with the Wilkinson disposables here. The rest, they say, is history, I've gotten more and more into DE wetshaving, bought more products than I should have, have consistently gotten comfortable, smooth, and irritation free shaves, bit the bullet and made an account here after reading the forum for months already, and now am writing this introduction of myself.

Now we embark on the next chapter, further improving my shaving ability, continuing to find new interesting products, encouraging others to join this way of shaving, and thanking all of you for the knowledge and encouragement you bring to the table.

So for any of you crazy enough to make it to the end, I salute you, and thank you for welcoming me to the B&B community as others already have. I hope to be a valuable and helpful member as you all are in the future!

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
Hey everyone, I'm relatively new to the forum (as a member, I've been reading posts here for months), and I've been DE shaving for a bit over 2 months now and have loved every minute of it. For any of you interested, I'll briefly introduce myself and then run through my shaving history. I'm sure that most of you don't care, and I do not begrudge you for that in the slightest, you're more than welcome to stop reading right here. I thank you for opening the post to begin with though! For the rest of you that are bored and want a bit of reading to put you to sleep, thanks for being so welcoming to the community, I have already had conversations with several of you, and I am looking forward to learning much more from all of you, sharing opinions and discoveries back and forth with you, and inviting even newer members than myself to the forum. So buckle up and here we go!

My name is Henry, and I'm an American grad student of Finnish and Italian ancestry that is conducting grad studies in the field of immunobiology in Germany. I'm an avid outdoorsman, hobbiest knifemaker, a proud Yooper (for those of you unfamiliar with the term, it means I'm from the Upper Peninsula, though I'm sure google could have told you that), and I will soon be starting a research project in an Ebola laboratory in Hamburg. Enough about me though, this is a shaving forum, not a talk about Henry forum, let's get to the razors!

My first razor (that I remember at least) was a Gillette Fusion 5 (could've been a Fusion 5 Proglide, but if you put a gun to my head and made me choose, I would say I think it was just the plain Fusion 5) that I got as a birthday present quite a while back. Let me tell you, I hated the thing, I got irritation almost every shave, particularly on my neck and under my jaw (I'd assume because there was an overabundance of blades, and the fact that I had to go over each area so many times to get it smooth that each area of my face probably had 25-40 blades pass over it each shave depending on what part of my face it was). And the cost of replacing the cartridges meant that I ended up using each cartridge for many months at a time to try to save money.

Then probably my senior year of high school, I was fed up with the Gillette and bought myself a 12 pack of Wilkinson Sword disposable razors for about $9 or $10. The difference between the Gillette Fusion and the Wilkinson Sword disposables was night and day, and not in the way you'd probably expect. The Wilkinson's cut down my irritation by at least 50% from day 1! Not to mention the fact that I only had to do a with the grain and against the grain to get pretty darn smooth, as opposed to my customary 5-8 passes (in seemingly every direction) with the Fusion! Furthermore, for whatever reason, whereas I could feel the Fusion cartridges dulling after a few weeks or a month of shaving, and then powering through a few more months of less than comfortable shaves, I felt that the Wilkinson disposables stayed moderately sharp for ages. I would occasionally "strop" them by sliding them the opposite direction on my forearm maybe every other shave, and I did actually strop them on a belt about once a month, which I know is crazy to do with a $0.07 disposable, but what can I say, I was (and still am) a poor student. In any case, once I went 13 months on one disposable Wilkinson Sword razor just to say I did, and to be honest I could've gone longer but I figured there was no point. Well, here we are, I think about 7 years since the switch to the Fusion to the Wilkinsons, and I think I've still got 2 of the original 12 pack I initially bought left.

Just to briefly mention what shaving creams and aftershave I used from the time I started shaving until "The DE Revolution" (which was like I said at the beginning, a bit more than 2 months ago now), I always used literally the cheapest or most discounted shaving foam I could find. Sometimes if Barbasol was on sale, that was what I got, sometimes I got store brands, and here in Germany I was using "Pure and Basic Shaving Foam" (the brand name Pure and Basic pretty much says it all). In regards to aftershave, I started off with Aqua Velva Ice Blue and that was my exclusive aftershave until I discovered Pinaud Clubman when I think I was a sophomore in my undergrad, maybe a junior, which was 3-4 years ago. From that time, that was all I used until the DE Revolution.

Fast forward to perhaps four months ago, and we have Henry, bored out of his skull in the laboratory waiting for a PCR reaction to finish so I could continue with the experiment, when all of a sudden I had a DE shaving video pop up in my Youtube recommended list. Why? I don't know, I assume I was watching a knife making video, or something about traditional Finnish axes, but alas, I clicked the video. Well, as they say, one thing led to another, I found this forum and started reading reviews of all the products that seemed cool to me. I also needed justification to buy any of it, since I am an absolutely broke grad student, but that was pretty easy to take care of. My justification is that other than a few football scarves of Borussia Mönchengladbach (the German club I've supported for years), I literally hadn't bought any souvenirs in my time here in Germany, and I figured I should get something to commemorate my time here. Well, Solingen is pretty close to where I study, and my student public transit pass even covers the trains and buses to there for free, so I've been there a couple times (again, as a knifemaker, that was a pretty big attraction to me), and I had seen that Merkur of Solingen razors were almost universally praised, so voilá, there was my justification for buying a DE razor (also, when I said that 50% of the irritation went away from switching from the Fusion to the disposables, the other 50% never did go away, on my neck particularly, no matter what I tried, so I figured if nothing else, the DE might actually help with it). I got the Merkur 33C, and also bought a small assortment of soaps to go along with the Háttric aftershave I had already been using with the Wilkinson disposables here. The rest, they say, is history, I've gotten more and more into DE wetshaving, bought more products than I should have, have consistently gotten comfortable, smooth, and irritation free shaves, bit the bullet and made an account here after reading the forum for months already, and now am writing this introduction of myself.

Now we embark on the next chapter, further improving my shaving ability, continuing to find new interesting products, encouraging others to join this way of shaving, and thanking all of you for the knowledge and encouragement you bring to the table.

So for any of you crazy enough to make it to the end, I salute you, and thank you for welcoming me to the B&B community as others already have. I hope to be a valuable and helpful member as you all are in the future!

Welcome to the forum and out of the shadows as a lurker. It only gets better from here. Go into the light, but avoid chasing the White Rabbit haha.

I read every word. Do I win a puck of Haslinger? :001_tongu

Welcome to B&B.
The Merkur 33C is a good razor and should provide many goood shaves. I don't know how many passes you do but a 2 pass shave (with the grain and accross the grain) should get you through student life. Work on the technique and the shave get better. Finding the blade that worksfor you should be one of your goals.
I don't think you mentioned what brush you are using but there are plenty of good inexpensive boar brushes out there. Good preparation and lather is essential for a good shave so don't ignore those parameters.

Welcome to the forum and out of the shadows as a lurker. It only gets better from here. Go into the light, but avoid chasing the White Rabbit haha.

I read every word. Do I win a puck of Haslinger? :001_tongu

Haha, thanks for reading! Perhaps you'll get a puck when I graduate and am not in crippling poverty. ;)

Welcome to B&B.
The Merkur 33C is a good razor and should provide many goood shaves. I don't know how many passes you do but a 2 pass shave (with the grain and accross the grain) should get you through student life. Work on the technique and the shave get better. Finding the blade that worksfor you should be one of your goals.
I don't think you mentioned what brush you are using but there are plenty of good inexpensive boar brushes out there. Good preparation and lather is essential for a good shave so don't ignore those parameters.

Thanks for the welcome! I typically do three passes and cleanups, which is pretty much the minimum I can do and still get a good shave because the hair under my jawline and on my neck grows in about 4 different directions. xD
You're definitely right, the brush and prep is important! I originally started with just a cheapie brush from the local DM Market, but I quickly upgraded to the Proraso branded Omega boar brush. I also tried the Proraso preshave, but I've actually found that plain old EVOO works better for me. I guess everyone has their own products that works for them! Thanks again for the tips and encouragement!

Welcome! Best of luck with your shaving going forward. Probably going to be hard to beat out using 10 disposables over 7 years in terms of price, but if you get a better shave out of the DE blades it’ll be worth it! I’m just impressed you used a disposable for over a year. Never heard of such a thing!

Welcome! Best of luck with your shaving going forward. Probably going to be hard to beat out using 10 disposables over 7 years in terms of price, but if you get a better shave out of the DE blades it’ll be worth it! I’m just impressed you used a disposable for over a year. Never heard of such a thing!

Thanks a bunch! I will say for anyone that is traveling with only carry on luggage or forgot their razor behind, I highly recommend the Wilkinson disposables! That being said, definitely don't use them for over a year like I did, that was just to see if I could. :001_rolle
And you're right, I do get a better shave with a DE razor, and even though it'll cost me a bit more, I am super happy with the decision with the switch! Thanks for reading and taking the time to comment, I do appreciate it. :001_smile

Welcome. Is the icon-knife a Kellam?

A most excellent Finnish product...

AA

Actually it's a Lauri carbon steel blade with a cherry burl handle. I made the handle with a burl I cut down in the forest behind my house. I made another with the same burl, but the blade was chainsaw damascus that the local blacksmith and I made together, but alas, I did not have a picture of it on my phone when I made my account here, so the more plain bladed version is my profile pic.

Being a knife maker, you might appreciate this video.

Oh god, you're going to make me consider emptying my bank account for something like this, because in addition to a knife maker, I'm also a knife/blade collector. :crazy:

First, glad to have you aboard. I enjoyed reading your intro. You certainly had a unique road to finding out about traditional shaving.

Welcome. Glad you joined. What are you studying in grad school?

Sent from my DROID Turbo using Tapatalk

Thanks! I'm studying immunobiology, in (theoretically) my final year. My thesis will be on Ebola genetic sequences that have been inserted in mammalian genomes.

First, glad to have you aboard. I enjoyed reading your intro. You certainly had a unique road to finding out about traditional shaving.

It seems unusual at first I'm sure, but then again, considering neither of my parents ever shaved with a DE or SE razor, any way that I would've found out about it probably would've been unusual. :001_tongu
And thanks for the welcome!

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
Oh god, you're going to make me consider emptying my bank account for something like this, because in addition to a knife maker, I'm also a knife/blade collector. :crazy:

Oh! I'm sorry! In that case never, under any circumstances, ever, Google 'Edward Brice razors'. :)

Tally Ho.jpg

Thanks! I'm studying immunobiology, in (theoretically) my final year. My thesis will be on Ebola genetic sequences that have been inserted in mammalian genomes.
That sounds intense, but interesting. Good luck with your final year.

Sent from my DROID Turbo using Tapatalk

Top Bottom