What's new

Introducing my son to DE/wet shaving, could use some advice

He's already been shaving for a few years with an electric razor, but he's decided he wants to learn wet shaving. My first thought was that I'd give him one of my Simpsons and a nice vintage Gillette. But... There's a decent chance he won't take to it, so maybe I should get him an inexpensive brush and razor and that won't make me sad if it gets neglected or lost (he'll be taking it to college). I have my first DE razor, a Merkur 34c, that I never use anymore and I could get a boar brush like a $10 Omega. Then if he decides he's going to stick with it I can give him some higher end product. What do you guys think?
Y'kow, I thought the same thing. My teenager had been using a trimmer for a few years, & it was time to graduate to wetshaving.

I gave him an Omega brush, some shaving creams & soaps, a safety razor (Feather Popular - so if he loses it it's not a big deal & TTO razors are easier for teens to deal with), a Gillette Guard single blade razor, Mach 3 starter kit with dopp bag, Sensor 3 & Sensor Twin, & some Nivea aftershaves.

He took to the brush & shaving creams like a duck to water, but returned the safety razor. He liked the Gillette Guard & triple blade razors.

Right now he's tried my synthetics & likes them over the boars. His favourite product is Italian Palmolive Cool cream.

First, congratulations! Great to have a son who appreciates his Dad’s good taste!

In terms of kit, I suggest you keep things simple:
Razor: EJ 89 series or Merkur 34 C; alternatively you could get him a vintage Tech.
Blades: Astra SP or Personna reds (or the German alternative)
Brush: Agree with a synthetic
Soap: La Toja or Speick stick which will generate great ‘no-nonsense’ lather
AS: optional.

The main thing is that he has you to help him along!! :a29:

Okay, I am going to come in here from way out in left field. He is currently using an electric. IF it is a "wet or dry" model, he could try using a lather with it. If he likes the ritual and the relaxing experience he could always add a DE (or straight) later.

Tell him to map his beard growth
I wish somebody told me this this 10y ago
It saved my right side of neck from iritations

Attachments

• Screenshot_2021-07-07-17-20-08.png
    Screenshot_2021-07-07-17-20-08.png
    1 MB · Views: 7
All great suggestions! I think I'll get him started at home on either the 34c or maybe my Gillette Slim on on a low number. I was thinking the Astra SP would be the best beginner's blade, and I happen to have plenty of them. If he decides he wants to get into it, I'll get him a Yaqi or RazoRock synthetic brush to take off back to school. As for soaps I have some Stirling samples or a Spick Speick he can have.

I gave my brother these items when he got interested:
  • La Toja (stick)
  • Proraso shave cream (tube)
  • Razorock Old Type razor
  • Razorock Snowman synthetic brush
  • Assortment of blades (around 60 blades)
  • Bottle of witch hazel
  • Bottle of Proraso White balm
  • Dopp kit
He liked everything, so I either got lucky or guessed right there.

His favorite is the La Toja/Old Type/Nacet/witch hazel combo. The soap stick idea was not something he was familiar with, but he caught on quickly. He had not tried an open comb razor, but likes it since he has a heavy beard and doesn't shave every day.

I give my opinion, I say a Gamechanger .68 OC with a Razorock brush with a noir knot. A soap that’s easy dial in would be a plus too, like Razorock XXX, Stirling or Chiseled Face. There are obviously better soaps but sometimes it’s annoying when a soap takes time to dial in. For scents I have no idea. I taught my two younger brothers how to shave and teenagers don’t care to shave daily and don’t care about a super close shave so a mild open comb is perfect.

I have spent hundreds of dollars on razors, Badger brushes, restoring vintage brushes, blades and myriad of soaps and creams. What do I shave with daily? I love my $8.00 boar brush and a Gillette SuperSpeed which can be had for less than $20.00 on ebay. Buy him a bottle of KissMyFace shave cream, $8.00. What have you got to lose?

Y'kow, I thought the same thing. My teenager had been using a trimmer for a few years, & it was time to graduate to wetshaving.

I gave him an Omega brush, some shaving creams & soaps, a safety razor (Feather Popular - so if he loses it it's not a big deal & TTO razors are easier for teens to deal with), a Gillette Guard single blade razor, Mach 3 starter kit with dopp bag, Sensor 3 & Sensor Twin, & some Nivea aftershaves.

He took to the brush & shaving creams like a duck to water, but returned the safety razor. He liked the Gillette Guard & triple blade razors.

Right now he's tried my synthetics & likes them over the boars. His favourite product is Italian Palmolive Cool cream.
Mercur 23c long is a great starter razor with some nacet blades. To me any cheap brush with Alonzos shave cream and he is off to a great shave

Maybe you all think it too basic to suggest, but I would teach him how to lather. Lather for him the first time, explaining how it works, before you turn him loose on his own.

I started my grandsons off with Old Spice mugs, 22mm Finest Badger brushes, and Col Conk Bay Rum soap. I also started them off with cartridges. When they visit they often ask to shave at my place, selecting whatever gear they want, but they learned on simple stuff that works. Now they can lather with any soap with no trouble.

I gifted my college-age son a “starter kit” last year (2020) for Christmas:

Merkur 38c
Gillette ~1950 Tech
Omega Boar
Simpsons Special Pure
Proraso Green cream and as
Cella EEB cream and as
GSB, Astra Stainless blades

he was a “wet shaver” prior.
Gillette disposable w barbasol can cream.

He liked it very much, and is still using the kit just about a year later.

My son is only 7 months old, so I've got a while before I need to worry about it (~15 years if he's like dad), but if I were putting together a kit for him now it would look something like:

-King C Gillette razor
-Synthetic brush (probably a Razorock/Maggard/Fendrihan offering around 20-22mm knot diameter)
-A couple soaps (Canada Shaving Soap and likely a Stirling)
-A few different blades to try
-A basic cartridge razor (not Gillette) with a couple blades and a can of cream/foam

Anything he doesn't want to use, he can either give back or give to someone else.

This would be a good starter set:

Rockwell 6C (or 6S if you want to spend the money) It looks cool and modern, and it is very beginner friendly.
Simpson Trafalgar T2. It just screams 'classic' and it's so cheap.
Proraso Green preshave, cream and balm. That stuff just feels nice and works so effortless.

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
Let him decide what he likes. Give him tips on technique.
I started my son off on DE wet shaving. He now lives on his own, married, pays his own way, werks like a dog....

He prefers to use an old rotary that his late great grandfather (my FIL) used. I asked him what he wanted for Christmas. He wanted a new electric! LOL, the War Department and I had already dropped enough coin on him, but his birthday is coming up.... I'll probably ask around on here what would be a good choice!

To you, @Nidan : enjoy your times with that son! The relationship you have with him is what's most important. As others on here have said: he will determine his shaving destiny! You sound like a GREAT father my friend.

Top Bottom