What's new

Introducing Michael to Traditional Wet Shaving

rbscebu

Girls call me Makaluod
Michael is a Spanish friend of mine about 70yo. He is a good man and worked hard all his life.

A few weeks ago, we were talking about shaving (as men do) and Michael told me that he shaves with a three-blade cart two to three times a week but doesn't enjoy it. He was surprised that I wet shave daily (or more often if I can) with a straight razor for the pure enjoyment.

This morning I visited Michael to wish him a merry Christmas. I gave (loaned?) him a Ming Shi 2000S, a Chinese guaranteed genuine pure best badger hair synthetic brush, a stick of ARKO and some Astra SP blades.

IMG_20210813_091121.jpg
Michael told me that when he started shaving, it was with a "safety" razor, so he still kind of remembers how to use one. I gave him some instructions on how to load the blade and adjust the razor. I also asked Michael to return it to me if traditional wet shaving is not for him.

If Michael takes to the "safety" razor, I will next introduction him to a really safe razor, a straight razor.

Michael is a Spanish friend of mine about 70yo. He is a good man and worked hard all his life.

A few weeks ago, we were talking about shaving (as men do) and Michael told me that he shaves with a three-blade cart two to three times a week but doesn't enjoy it. He was surprised that I wet shave daily (or more often if I can) with a straight razor for the pure enjoyment.

This morning I visited Michael to wish him a merry Christmas. I gave (loaned?) him a Ming Shi 2000S, a Chinese guaranteed genuine pure best badger hair synthetic brush, a stick of ARKO and some Astra SP blades.

Michael told me that when he started shaving, it was with a "safety" razor, so he still kind of remembers how to use one. I gave him some instructions on how to load the blade and adjust the razor. I also asked Michael to return it to me if traditional wet shaving is not for him.

If Michael takes to the "safety" razor, I will next introduction him to a really safe razor, a straight razor.
👏🏼👏🏼👏🏼 Well done!

Very good!! That is awfully nice of you!! Something to think about is to peak his curiosity. He will ask you questions as he learns more about shaving. But let him decide if and when he may want to get into straight razors. Just something to think about. Merry Christmas

rbscebu

Girls call me Makaluod
Very good!! That is awfully nice of you!! Something to think about is to peak his curiosity. He will ask you questions as he learns more about shaving. But let him decide if and when he may want to get into straight razors. Just something to think about. Merry Christmas
I very much agree. He is now fully aware of the possibility of shaving with a SR. It will be up to him to ask me about it.

I may be a bit of an enabler on B&B but never in real life.

It is always fun to give someone a DE safety razor and watch the revelation come into their eyes after they use it a couple of times. Hahaha!

Good for you, giving that man a razor.

rbscebu

Girls call me Makaluod
Financially I wasn't being overly generous. The whole setup cost me less than USD 20.

I was considering giving him a SR setup but didn't have a suitable learner's strop available. Now, after thinking about it, an SR probably would have been too big a jump for him and there would be a lot for me to teach him.

rbscebu

Girls call me Makaluod
Michael is the fifth person I have introduced into (or back to) traditional wet shaving. All has been done by giving them a Ming Shi 2000S, brush and soap. Of the first four, all have stayed with traditional wet shaving and now love their shaving.

The Ming Shi 2000S may not be the best of DE razors, however it is economical for me to buy (about USD 10) and, being adjustable, gives the person something to play with as they develop their new shaving technique. I think this adjustability is important to perk their interest, particularly in their early days.

If you can, introduced a couple of friends into traditional wet shaving. If they find that it is for them, they will think fondly of you every time they shave for the rest of their lives.

Top Bottom