What's new

Introducing a N00bie to SR Shaving

rbscebu

Girls call me Makaluod
Last week the owner, Michael (Spanish), of the farm cottage that I am currently staying in was helping me make my travel diamond pasted balsa strop. He cut the tile substrate for me.

Of course we got talking about what I was doing and why. Michael shaves twice a week with canned goo and a cart, Wednesday and Sunday morning before church. He was surprised to hear that I shaved every morning with a SR for the simple reason that I enjoy the experience. His first question was "Aren't you afraid of cutting yourself?". That's always a good starter into a SR shaving conversation.

I am looking to introduce Michael to SR shaving. I already have a suitable shave-ready SR to lend him and more brushes and a quality Chinese strop on order. I will give him a brush, strop and one of my precious sticks of ARCO. Then I will help him assemble a set of diamond pasted balsa strops. That should set him up initially.

Michaelis is a good hard-working man, still young at a little over 70yo. I am looking forward to guiding him in this adventure, if he chooses to go with it.

rbscebu

Girls call me Makaluod
I started a friend on Arko first, then a straight razor.
Might not be a bad idea. I have a spare Ming Shi 2000S that he can use. That will give him something to play with. It will also take less of my time to guide him.

I suppose I was being influenced by my history where I went from carts straight into straight razors.

steveclarkus

Goose Poop Connoisseur
Might not be a bad idea. I have a spare Ming Shi 2000S that he can use. That will give him something to play with. It will also take less of my time to guide him.

I suppose I was being influenced by my history where I went from carts straight into straight razors.
I went from DE/SE to carts to straights. I gave LH a 9/16 Bismarck and an excellent unbranded 4/8 with Method edges. He had bought a SRO and I knew that would go nowhere. I need to check back with him because those blades are in need of a touch up. The thing that got him interested in shaving though was the Arko. There is magic in that stuff you know.

Slash McCoy

I freehand dog rockets
Hey Arko might smell like urinal cakes, but it lathers pretty good and it is cheap cheap cheap. The odor goes away in minutes. I get my soap for the lather. I get my aftershave for she smell. But right now I am using some stuff given to me by the proprietor of Central Texas Soaps - https://centraltexassoaps.com/ who I met while returning from Grand Canyon and stopping in TX to see my uncle. That stuff is insane, lathers and lathers some more.

I'm still trying to find an EdC that matches the scent of a freshly opened stick of ARKO.
I'd rock it.

Will be keeping tabs on this thread. Sounds like a super fun opportunity. You're always making a point to spread the word on the forums regarding straight razor shaving so it's not at all a surprise that you're doing that IRL. Cheers.

The first time someone gave me Vegemite, I thought they were playing a practical joke on me.

I expect I would feel much the same way if someone offered me what smelled like a urinal puck and told me to rub it on my face before shaving. The same guy that’s trying to convince me to shave with an old time razor sharpened on a piece of wood. Your latest protègè must be very trusting or gullible…

We got some Vegemite in for the first time last month. Never had it before.

Much more complex and interesting than Marmite. Like a sensory rapier compared to a brick, taste-wise.

I find Arko! has the same exciting complexity.

Top Bottom