What's new

Intro from your new Shaving Soap Steward - rockviper

rockviper

I got moves like Jagger
I have no idea. Google doesn't turn up anything, but quite frankly, the soap is okay but not on the same level of goodness as the AS.

Here's my posts (and one from another!) about it from 2011 in a Canadian traveling box...
Today's shave was pure Pitralon from the box: Pitralon soap followed by the AS.

I was confused at first on whether this was a semi-hard soap or a semi-hard cream. It's much harder than any other non-puck soap I've used (Proraso tub, P.160 or Cella) but much softer than any puck. I scraped some out anyways (what else was I to do? :001_unsur) and was impressed with how easily it lathered up. Nice 3-pass shave followed by my alum block and the AS.

As good as the lather was, the scent of the Pitralon soap was the let down. It is as difficult to describe as is Speick. You really need to experience it first-hand. It's not that it stinks or anything, it's just that it doesn't work for me.

The AS does a great job and resulted in no sting at all (just like the Olimon) and its scent going on reminded me of unwrapping Double Bubble bubble gum which then faded into a pleasantly light lemon. My nose is not the most trained in the world, so YMMV.

In the end, Pitralon does the job well enough but the soap's scent is the deal breaker for me.

It smells like rotting Celery to me. I agree that the lather was good, but I just couldn't get past the scent.

Parting is such sweet sorry ..... or ...... Hit the road, Jack! :001_tt2:

For my final shave from Tokyo, I went to :a5: .... the Pitralon soap! (Who would'a thunk it!) and I had my final usage of Vito's Tabacco Colonia (which is being added to the box). There was no way I was going to be beaten by a soap (well, okay, I think the GIT beat me), so out it came again for one last go round.
Maybe I've mellowed in my old age. After all, I'm 6 days older than my first date with this soap :wheelchair: , but the scent didn't seem as strange as my first whiff of it. SWMBO says it smells like soap, so you should believe her over me (ALWAYS!!). Same great lather and shave; a fitting end to my time with the box.

Leaving Tokyo
- Pitralon AS. I've used this product for a few shaves and SMWBO's response to it yesterday was the deal closer. Thanks to whomever put this in.
- 1/2 Cella tub of Malaspina' Lime Cooler shaving cream (there's lots left). This product rocks! Thanks Linda!
Additions to Tokyo
- Vito's Colonia, Tabacco
- Restocked the P.160 container to the brim
- Godrej Deluxe shaving cream
- pack of Shark blades

Final Impressions
As you can tell, I stayed with pure software usage while the box was with me. My existing razors (5) don't see enough proper rotation as it is. The big winner in the box for me is Malaspina's Lime Cooler shaving cream! :001_tt1: I think when my Proraso is done, this will be the replacement product.

Linda, what is the strength of the Lime Cooler in the box? My guess is "Extreme"

Other hits are Benton Clay's Tea Oil pre-shave and his Vetiver Paradisi AS lotion. Malaspina's Sunshine Salash AS lotion and the Olimon AS made very favourable impressions on me as well.

The only things that didn't tickle my fancy were Malaspina's Green Irish Tweed cream (it doesn't agree with my skin) and the Pitralon soap, but even the latter wasn't bad enough for me not to give it a second go. I didn't try all of the soap and creams as I've used several of them before, so things like Cremo, Bigelow and Body Shop Maca stayed unused.

Once I work though my existing backlog of 2-3 years (easy!) of soaps and creams, and need to order more (as opposed to "want to"), Dave's / Benton Clay soaps will become a constant companion to my kit along with the matching AS lotions. Linda's / Malaspina shaving creams are going to get a good workout as well in the future and hopefully elongated use will not dull the WOW! factor I've experienced so far.

In closing ....the box is a GREAT experience, no doubts about it. I hope you've enjoyed reading my write-ups as much as I have enjoyed using the box. Thank you gentlemen (and ladies!) for letting me partake in this experience.

.... and THANK YOU rambus007 for putting this together in the first place! :a50:

Now.... c'mon Kyoto!! hurry up and get here!!!:001_tt2:

(Update: Box was hand delivered to bananaman this afternoon)

Last edited by a moderator:
Congrats on the new gig, Sam!

I saw "Me likey soaps" in your signature line a while back and thought, "Shouldn't this be the Steward of the Shaving Soap forum?"

Welcome! I know I spend quite a bit of time here. I have a little obsession with shaving soap.

Top Bottom