What's new

intro cost?

You can start wet shaving with a DE for around 30-35 dollars.

Check the B/S/T forum for starter sets/kits. These guys really know how to put something together that will give you a satisfying shave!

How did I start? Well I didn't know about B&B back then. I instead bought a parker DE razor with 100 Sharp Stainless blades for around 15 dollars. Not wanting to pay for shipping I also opted to pick up a Van Der Hagen Starter kit for I think around 10 dollars more. It comes with a nice little bowl (I still use it today!), a puck of VDH Deluxe soap (One of my favorites still... even after trying so many others), and a Boar Brush. I added something else outside the world of wetshaving to cover the remaining free shipping limit on Amazon... so i'm not counting that :lol:.

Now that being said, you will find just as good a deal here on BST. Even if it dosn't come with a bowl... just use a coffee mug or cereal bowl from your kitchen! There is always Face lathering... or hand lathering if you don't want to use a mug/bowl.

My suggestion... don't bother with parker razors. Get a gillette or merkur. You will fill the vast difference instantly when switching from one to the other.

Last edited:
Merkur blades are not top quality. They are nearly universally hated on this board!! I tried them, and found them to be 100% garbage, not to mention they tend to be far more expensive than other blades. Avoid the Merkur blades at all costs!

The Merkur blade I tried pulled, and skipped on the first use, other blades don't do that until after a weeks worth of use.

I would disagree on the universal hatred, as the average rating for merkur blades was 66%.

While many of the reviews are in the 60s-90s - the few who gave it a rating of 50 or below found it to drag and nick. This may be due to personal difference in beard coarseness or thickness. Regardless, I'm not saying it is an excuse, as a decent blade should offer as little of this as possible. I don't know if this is possibly aided by extensive hydration via cream and lather.

Thank you for bringing this up, since I have found that I could have gotten 100 derbys for the price i paid for 10 Merkurs :(

If you really want to go with a straight, you can get the VDH start up set from wal-mart like others have suggested, and you can get a "shaping razor" at Sally Beauty supply for about $7. I use the VDH stuff and dig it, and my friend Josh uses the shaping razor with great results. They use personna single edge injector razor blades that are about the length of an actual straight blade and the corners of the blades are rounded so you won't poke yourself.

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
Tweezerman Badger Brush - $12.00
VDH Soap - $2.50
10 Pack of Personnas - $2.00
Small bowl from a large store - $3.00
Nice Razor from the BST - $15.00

Total cost to start up - $34.50

Recurring cost - a pack of blades every other week, a soap every 6 - 12 months

Unexpected costs - Razor Aquisition Disorder

I would disagree on the universal hatred, as the average rating for merkur blades was 66%.

The "universal hatred" comment stems from the fact, that nearly every newbie is told to immediately try a different blade, when they are found to be using a Merkur blade. Regardless of the reviews, that tells me that these blades are regarded by quite a few as being bottom of the bucket.

Looking at the reviews (and understanding they are subjective), a blade that gets a 66% rating is a failing blade, it's of unacceptable quality. It would rate a D grade.

The Merkur blades are of sub-par quality, for a premium price. That makes them a total rip off! :eek::eek:

There are far better quality blades, for far less money.

The "universal hatred" comment stems from the fact, that nearly every newbie is told to immediately try a different blade, when they are found to be using a Merkur blade. Regardless of the reviews, that tells me that these blades are regarded by quite a few as being bottom of the bucket.

There are far better quality blades, for far less money.

That's not necessarily universal hatred; that's hatred by the strident. I see the same thing about Dorco ST300's, which worked very well for me.

I have a theory that one reason for the Merkurs' bad rap is that since so many try them as their first blade (having come in the box with the razor) they're trying it when they haven't any shaving skills yet.

I will support you in your assertion that they are overpriced.

- Chris

The ultimate cheap would be the $8 VDH set from walmart with brush, bowl and soap combined with a $2 pack of bic sensitive disposables.

To get underway with wet shaving with a DE, you should plan on spending about the price of a mid-range electric razor from a discount store --about $85 or so.

That'll get you a new Merkur or a good vintage Gillette, a badger brush, a soap or cream (or both), a blade sampler, and an aftershave. Other stuff can be added incrementally over time if you stay with wetshaving.

-- John Gehman

Top Bottom