What's new

Intro and a noob pic journey

So hey.....FNG here, newer to DE/SE shaving as well....been about 3 months. Always HATED shaving, really glad this could turn into an enjoyable hobby that I indulge in about 3 times per week. Ginger guy, really no need to shave any more than that.

Little intro; I'm a business owner and while I enjoy it, it's mostly sitting on your heinie talking on the phone. I have three of my wife's cousins that work for me and then I run a FedEx route because it's paid exercise and I'm that guy that won't go to a gym. I need to stay busy, so there you go.

I dig on rigid motorcycles and old Porsches, and I'm a musician as well. Guitar and bass, and do some orchestral stuff for occasional video games and TV shows too. I'm a member of a number of musical forums, and one of the guys on one of them is into DE/SE shaving BIGTIME, and he got me started.

He sent me a care package:

proxy.php

This is where I discovered the beauty of TFS soaps....I'm a huge fan and love them more than anything I've tried.

Started out soon after with this baby from Italian Barber, the Teck II:

proxy.php

Along with some Uncle Walter, this kept me happy for a minute; I really liked the weight of the thing, and couldn't believe how well machined it was for the EIGHT DOLLARS it cost me. This held me over for about a month....and then the sales started...

On sale, acquired this bad dog, the Baby Smooth:

proxy.php

I really like this razor, it's light, maneuvers well, not too aggressive etc....just an all round great start for a noob.

Tried switching handles and heads just to see what's what, and I really liked the TII handle with the BS head:

proxy.php

The weight of the TII handle and the smooth feel of the BS worked really well together, and I like that so I figured hey, let's do the opposite and see what happens:

proxy.php

Ain't gonna lie, that was a fat no. I didn't like the shorter handle with the heavier head, and haven't been back since.

But I was curious, you know.....and there was another sale:

proxy.php

I'd heard great things about this razor and the Kai Titan Milds from my shave guru buddy Gene, so I gave it a shot....holy crap, compared to what I'd been using, this thing was AGGRESSIVE. I gave it a few shots, but damn....it's just mean. It's sitting in the Dopp bag awaiting some new SE blades, I think the Milds aren't mild enough for me and this razor.

Guru Gene always posts these badass pics of his combed razors, and I really liked the look. Hit him up for some advice, and grabbed this thing:

proxy.php

proxy.php

Razorock SLOC...think I've found my go-to. I love this razor so damn much...it's gentle enough but aggressive enough, feels weighty but not too much, shaves great no matter what blade goes into it, and feels like it could be a lifetime deal. For under $20 I can't believe this thing.

So it hasn't been a really LONG journey over the last few months, but I'm not going to lie...it's been a bloody one.

I've gotten some decent technique down, I'm getting used to the blades, the 3-4 TFSs I've gotten ahold of just really work well for me and smell fanTASTIC.

All in all, this has been great fun and taken something I always just HATED and turned it into something pleasurable.

Intro over. See ya guys around the forums.

So hey.....FNG here, newer to DE/SE shaving as well....been about 3 months. Always HATED shaving, really glad this could turn into an enjoyable hobby that I indulge in about 3 times per week. Ginger guy, really no need to shave any more than that.

Little intro; I'm a business owner and while I enjoy it, it's mostly sitting on your heinie talking on the phone. I have three of my wife's cousins that work for me and then I run a FedEx route because it's paid exercise and I'm that guy that won't go to a gym. I need to stay busy, so there you go.

I dig on rigid motorcycles and old Porsches, and I'm a musician as well. Guitar and bass, and do some orchestral stuff for occasional video games and TV shows too. I'm a member of a number of musical forums, and one of the guys on one of them is into DE/SE shaving BIGTIME, and he got me started.

He sent me a care package:

proxy.php

This is where I discovered the beauty of TFS soaps....I'm a huge fan and love them more than anything I've tried.

Started out soon after with this baby from Italian Barber, the Teck II:

proxy.php

Along with some Uncle Walter, this kept me happy for a minute; I really liked the weight of the thing, and couldn't believe how well machined it was for the EIGHT DOLLARS it cost me. This held me over for about a month....and then the sales started...

On sale, acquired this bad dog, the Baby Smooth:

proxy.php

I really like this razor, it's light, maneuvers well, not too aggressive etc....just an all round great start for a noob.

Tried switching handles and heads just to see what's what, and I really liked the TII handle with the BS head:

proxy.php

The weight of the TII handle and the smooth feel of the BS worked really well together, and I like that so I figured hey, let's do the opposite and see what happens:

proxy.php

Ain't gonna lie, that was a fat no. I didn't like the shorter handle with the heavier head, and haven't been back since.

But I was curious, you know.....and there was another sale:

proxy.php

I'd heard great things about this razor and the Kai Titan Milds from my shave guru buddy Gene, so I gave it a shot....holy crap, compared to what I'd been using, this thing was AGGRESSIVE. I gave it a few shots, but damn....it's just mean. It's sitting in the Dopp bag awaiting some new SE blades, I think the Milds aren't mild enough for me and this razor.

Guru Gene always posts these badass pics of his combed razors, and I really liked the look. Hit him up for some advice, and grabbed this thing:

proxy.php

proxy.php

Razorock SLOC...think I've found my go-to. I love this razor so damn much...it's gentle enough but aggressive enough, feels weighty but not too much, shaves great no matter what blade goes into it, and feels like it could be a lifetime deal. For under $20 I can't believe this thing.

So it hasn't been a really LONG journey over the last few months, but I'm not going to lie...it's been a bloody one.

I've gotten some decent technique down, I'm getting used to the blades, the 3-4 TFSs I've gotten ahold of just really work well for me and smell fanTASTIC.

All in all, this has been great fun and taken something I always just HATED and turned it into something pleasurable.

Intro over. See ya guys around the forums.
Welcome. I'm a new guy too. Looks like we've caught the same shaving bug. I've been shaving for just about 5 months. I too hated it. Now I look forward to the next time I have a relaxing DE shave that I don't rush. I have also found Italian Barber, Fendrihans and EBay. I'm going to curb my buying for a least a month as advised by some of the forum members. Concentrate on technique they say. It will be difficult!
Steve

ajkel64

Check Out Chick
Staff member
Welcome to the forum, nice assortment of shaving gear that you have collected so far. Thanks for sharing.

Welcome! Looks like you really jumped in. I like different soap/aftershave combinations. I've tried just a few different razors but keep coming back to a Merkur open comb long handle. More aggressive razors just irritate my face. I can get a smooth shave in fewer passes but at a cost of comfort.

Again, welcome!

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

Welcome Steinmetzify,

3 months and you've have such a fun journey brilliant!!!

I've only been DE DE shaving for about 5 months and yrs been so fun. I've also picked some straights and it too has been great.

I've gotten a huge block of TFS recently and as soon as I get it from the post office I'm going to enjoy being a lather hog.
TFS Traditional Shaving Soap Block 1000 ml

Cheers and happy shaves.

Mawashi

Welcome aboard - you're a lucky fellow to have so much at your disposal so soon in the DE journey .... hope you don't catch the AD bug, that might be a little late now though.
Have fun

Yet another hearty welcome! So, I'll be THAT guy . . . love the Savon A Raser tub (c'mon--those of you who've read my soap posts know I like Pantie Dropper, so this is a natural for me!) . . .where did you get it, or where did Genius Gene get it?

Top Bottom