What's new

Intro and a few questions about ID on a couple models

Hi guys,

It's been quite some time since I've been on this forum. After I got out of the military a few years back I haven't shaved my face a single time lol. I still use my razors and some of my old collection from time to time just to clean around the edges, but my collection and shave routine was completely changed.

I did however, at about the same time as getting into wet shaving, I started picking up fountain pens. For the most part, I started hard and got a few pens, used them, then just kind of let them sit, and they get occasional use. Well I'm starting to use them more again and really trying to incorporate them more into my daily routine. I love using them, but I'm not always sitting at my desk with the right pen and paper.

I am a blacksmith and bladesmith, so most of the time I'm in a dirty workshop and can always find a sharpie or a piece of soapstone to write with. I've been keeping a small notebook on my lately and have been trying to use one of my FPs (when I remember to grab it before leaving the house).

So, recently I dug out my FP collection and was going through them and cleaning them up and figuring out which ones to start using again and something funny happened. While I was in the military I was stationed in Italy for quite some time and that is where I found my first few pens. I think I got my first 3 at a very small stationary shop and never really thought much about them. One of them I think I used maybe twice and just put back in my drawer because I wasn't a fan of the blue color of the pen. (I'm a very simply guy and most of my pens are either silver or black). Well, as I was looking at it, I was trying to find the model and after a little search, I realized that I've been sitting on an Aurora Ipsilon Deluxe... 14k nib and all still in the original box! Of course I inked it up and it writes amazingly. Even better than my Pelican M200 which was my favorite pen for quite some time (although I'm noticing some issues with it now that I'll start another thead sometime to try and figure out).

I have 2 pens that I would ask some help with. One, I can't find a mark on it at all but it originally came in a Delta box (from the same small store in Italy), it's rather large, made of all metal, a little heavy, 2 tone iridium nib that is a dream to write with, I just don't know what I have. I'll attach some pictures in hopes someone might know it.

The second is a MB Meisterstuck FP with a medium nib, but I have no idea what model it is. I know it is at least 15 years old, I'm the second owner, but I have lost everything but the pen. Capped it is 136mm long, end of nib to back of pen is 119mm and just the body is 100mm. Again I'll attach some pictures in hopes of finding the model. This pen is sooooo comfortable to hold and write with but there is just one problem. It's a M nib and it is WAY too thick for my liking. I have very small handwriting and when I really get going with it or try to take quick notes, the words and letters tend to just mesh together making it illegible. I've been thinking about replacing the nib with an EF or even a F, but I need to know what model before I can even look into that any more.

Anyway, thank you for reading this long ramble and here are a few pictures to go along with the post.
20180319_211353.jpg
20180319_211404.jpg
20180319_211428.jpg
20180319_211449.jpg
20180319_211504.jpg
20180320_211450.jpg

ajkel64

Check Out Chick
Staff member
Welcome to Badger and Blade, I can't help you with the pens but you have come to the right place for help. And even though I am in Australia thank you for your service.

Welcome back, I cant tell what the iridium point pen is...it looks like a jinhao nib almost. The MB 144 classic is your likely your other pen with the medium nib, if it takes cartridges versus being a larger MB 146 piston filler or Le Grand size (the 146 size with cartridges is the 147 Traveller and was sold with a leather travel case that held 6 cartridges) and the largest MB 149 is the diplomat and the tiny little MB 142 taking a single cartridge and having a metal body.

Welcome back, I cant tell what the iridium point pen is...it looks like a jinhao nib almost. The MB 144 classic is your likely your other pen with the medium nib, if it takes cartridges versus being a larger MB 146 piston filler or Le Grand size (the 146 size with cartridges is the 147 Traveller and was sold with a leather travel case that held 6 cartridges) and the largest MB 149 is the diplomat and the tiny little MB 142 taking a single cartridge and having a metal body.

Yes, the MB takes cartridges, and I bought the MB piston converter so I can use my Noodlers ink in it. I was thinking the 144 but the measurements that I found didn't add up, but then again I guess they can change those whenever they want. The pen is probably at least 20 years old if I think about it. Thanks for your reply.

nemo

Lunatic Fringe
Staff member
... MB 144 classic is your likely your other pen with the medium nib...

@davidlz -- Top pen is a 144, I agree. Nice everyday writers. Mine have a gold ring at the nib end of the section, is yours corroded? It doesn't show up as gold on my monitor. Also mine have single-tone 14K gold nibs, I think from the 1980s or early '90s.

Beautiful Aurora, not many of those with gold nibs, congrats on that!

jar_

Too Fugly For Free.
I'm not sure the first is a 144. There should be a gold ring at the nib end of the section. I fear that it is one of the many fakes of that model but hope I am wrong.

The Aurora looks like the Epsilon.

@davidlz -- Top pen is a 144, I agree. Nice everyday writers. Mine have a gold ring at the nib end of the section, is yours corroded? It doesn't show up as gold on my monitor. Also mine have single-tone 14K gold nibs, I think from the 1980s or early '90s.

Beautiful Aurora, not many of those with gold nibs, congrats on that!

Yes, the gold ring is there, it is just corroded a little bit. I need to figure out a good way to clean it.

I'm not sure the first is a 144. There should be a gold ring at the nib end of the section. I fear that it is one of the many fakes of that model but hope I am wrong.

The Aurora looks like the Epsilon.

The gold ring is there, it is just old and a little corroded. I haven't looked into the best way to clean it up without messing anything up on it.

I was pretty excited about the Aurora as I never really like the color on it and when I looked closer and saw the gold nib and inked it up I was pleasantly surprised by the pen.

Just wish the MB was more of a fine nib and I enjoyed how it wrote as well as i like writing with it if that makes any sense.

jar_

Too Fugly For Free.
The gold ring is there, it is just old and a little corroded. I haven't looked into the best way to clean it up without messing anything up on it.

I was pretty excited about the Aurora as I never really like the color on it and when I looked closer and saw the gold nib and inked it up I was pleasantly surprised by the pen.

Just wish the MB was more of a fine nib and I enjoyed how it wrote as well as i like writing with it if that makes any sense.
Glad it's there. They tended to corrode anyway. The Aurora is the jewel of the group.

Top Bottom