What's new

Intrigued By Its Mediocrity

I was looking at the shaving section in Shop Rite about 10 days ago and bought a couple of items, Aqua Velva Musk aftershave and Van Der Hagen Shave Butter.

I've used the shave butter six times since I purchased it and I continue to use it, because as the title of the thread says, I'm intrigued by its mediocrity.

The product comes in a six ounce (177 ml) tube and is the color and consistency of sunscreen that comes in a tube. The list of ingredients is OK, it has shea butter, mango butter and macadamia oil, but it has several ingredients that are less than ideal:

Ingredients: Water, Ethyl Macadamiate (From Macadamia Nut), Stearic Acid, Glycerin, Cetyl Alcohol, Glyceryl Stearate, Butyrospermum Parkii (Shea) Butter, Mangifera Indica (Mango) Seed Butter, Theobroma Cacao (Cocoa) Seed Butter, Titanium Dioxide, Fragrance, Triethanolamine, Acrylates/C10-30 Alkyl Acrylate Crosspolymer, Phenoxyethanel.

The product is designed to be used without a brush, rubbed on to your wet face by hand. It doesn't lather at all, it goes on as a thin translucent white glop. The best part of the product is that, to me, it smells really nice. The mango and macadamia nut mixture is a pleasant scent, sweet almost like a cherry-almond. The feel is reasonably slick but thin and watery. It's not nearly as thick or slippery as the Dollar Shave Club's shave butter and nothing like gel in a can.

The shave is actually surprisingly not bad. Wetting the razor causes the butter to thin out and run and drip, depositing stuff on you hands and drip on your chest or in the sink. For those of you that prize "cushion", there is none. But it's slick and the razor glides nicely over my face. It needs to be reapplied between passes but it's possible to get an excellent shave with it. It rinses off pretty well. It leaves my face feeling soft and supple, but there is a tacky residue. The scent pretty much disappears when rinsed off.

I keep using it and I don't know why. It isn't terrible by any means but it's not great either. It is quick and convenient but Edge Gel is better in almost every way. It must be the scent. I usually don't like overly sweet scents, but this one is really appealing to me for some reason. I will keep using it until I finish the tube, but I probably won't buy another. But it's good to know that there is an alternative to canned foam or gel available in the supermarket.

Last edited:
I used to use it every day back when I was using a DSC cartridge. I thought it was awesome until I tried some better shave soaps. For the price of the shave butter, you can get a half decent soap from any number of brands that work ten times better. Just my $.02

Happy Shaving
-Chris
US Army Veteran, Foxhole Shavers Club Member

Love this thread!!

You like it , you continue to use it....I went back (by accident) to blades that only beginers, here, admit to using. I know they shouldnt be giving me Great shaves, but they are. I refuse to name them to avoid ridicule by BB members , mostly myself. :001_tt1: It doesnt make sense to me but, its just shaving!

Enjoy your shaves!!

I enjoy mine one at a time but as the saying goes YMMV. :a14:

I've got a few tubes of brushless shaving products: Neutrogena, Cremo, & American Crew. (I like Neutrogena the best and it only costs 3 or 4 dollars.) They all perform decently like the product you describe. They're slick, they get the job done, they don't dry out your face - but they don't provide much cushion. They're good for travel, and sometimes I use them for a little touch-up if I've already rinsed out my brush.

Love this thread!!

You like it , you continue to use it....I went back (by accident) to blades that only beginers, here, admit to using. I know they shouldnt be giving me Great shaves, but they are. I refuse to name them to avoid ridicule by BB members , mostly myself. :001_tt1: It doesnt make sense to me but, its just shaving!

Enjoy your shaves!!

If someone ridicules you because of you blade choice that is really more on him than it is on you. Now, as far as the funny way your mother dresses you, that's fair game. :)

I havent ever experienced ridicule here and dont expect it. I was funnin ' .

I saw this saying here, "Dont let perfectionism be the enemy of good-enough".

If its good, its good!

Enjoy.

Love this thread!!

Enjoy your shaves!!

Do the blades rhyme with Erby Dextra?

Well, if it "smells really good" and "it is possible to get excellent shaves," perhaps it is a step above mediocre?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

African Black Soap Shea Butter. Non-lathering rub on shave cream. Was slick. Was nasty. Was bad smelling. Left everything within 10 feet greasy. Barely reached "mediocre". Like the OP, I had to use it several times before tossing in the towel.

I have a bottle of Campbell's Liquid Shaving Cream that I want to hate, but I can't justify tossing it out. The cream smells mildly of Lemon Pledge and library paste. When lathering it starts out thin and bubbly and takes some effort make it settle down to a creamy foam. If it gets a little too much water it looses all slicknes. But, if I do everything right I get a slick, protective lather. At this point, I am resolved to 3017 it this year, just to get rid of it.

My wife gave me a tube of Chanel de Bleu shave cream that sounds just like what you describe with an extremely strong scent. I may start a thread about it to see if anyone else has used it. The amount I had to use and it being a 3.4 oz bottle for $45!!! dollars it is hands down the most expensive shaving product I've used by far.

So I shelved this stuff for a few weeks. But the bright orange tube enticed me to use it this morning. I decided to try something different and filled my sink with hot water and floated the tube in it while I showered. Warming this stuff up made a big difference in performance. Obviously it was nice and warm but it was also less pastey, easier to spread and a lot slicker. It was still very thin, but my razor glided easily over my face. I got a very good 2 pass shave (Parker Variant wtg/xtg set at 4, Personna Red 3rd use). I think the shave went from acceptable to very good just by warming the tube for 10 minutes. And it still smells great.

So I shelved this stuff for a few weeks. But the bright orange tube enticed me to use it this morning. I decided to try something different and filled my sink with hot water and floated the tube in it while I showered. Warming this stuff up made a big difference in performance. Obviously it was nice and warm but it was also less pastey, easier to spread and a lot slicker. It was still very thin, but my razor glided easily over my face. I got a very good 2 pass shave (Parker Variant wtg/xtg set at 4, Personna Red 3rd use). I think the shave went from acceptable to very good just by warming the tube for 10 minutes. And it still smells great.

I always had it in the shower with me, so it warmed up that way. That to say I second your call of warning it

Happy Shaving
-Chris
US Army Veteran, Foxhole Shavers Club Member

Top Bottom