What's new

Interview with Tom Givens

OkieStubble

Dirty Donuts are so Good.

Great read John! While it looks like a long read, it was definitely worth the time. I love Tom Givens. This read shows the importance of not just training, but of a situational and tactical mindset.

"When you understand the nature of a thing, you know what it's capable of." -Thomas Fuller

"If a fox killed your chickens, would you slaughter your pig because he saw the fox? No, you would hunt the fox, find where it lives and destroy it! And how do we do this? Become a fox." -General Bratchenko

EXECUTIVE SUMMARY-Train with Tom Givens while you can.
The post below in quotes is something I wrote in 2011 and is even more true today re Tom's acumen as a writer, teacher, indeed professor (as in one who creates knowledge) re the uniquely American martial art of Pistolcraft etc.

Full Disclosure- I hosted Tom for a two day class in KC in April 2011. I attended the Rangemaster Instructor's Course in Oct 2010 and Tactical Confs. in 2009 and 2010. I first met Tom at the Cooper Memorial in 2007. He along with Todd Louis Green(RIP) have influenced my mindset/shooting/training more than anyone else in the last few years. I was an AI for Tom in July 2016.

"Tom is one of the few old school masters of the Modern Technique who continues to study and improve the art. He understands that what was state of the art in 1981 may have changed/evolved/improved/developed/morphed etc in 2011. Tom is arguably the best living bridge between between the 1st gen students of Cooper ( i.e. Tom Givens, Chuck Taylor, Clint Smith, Louis Awerbuck, Bill Jeans, Ken Hackathorn, Pat Rogers etc) and today's younger instructors of note."

I would note that since I wrote that in 2011, Misters Louis Awerbuck and Pat Rogers are no longer with us (RIP). Mr. Bill Jeans has all but stopped training, Mr. Clint Smith rarely goes on the road and Mr. Ken Hackathorn is cutting way back as well.

Choose wisely while you can.

Bookmark Post

nortac

"Can't Raise an Eyebrow"
There are nice neighborhoods, but there aren't any guaranteed "safe" neighborhoods. How many times have we heard "Nothing like that has ever happened here before!", right after it has.

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
There are nice neighborhoods, but there aren't any guaranteed "safe" neighborhoods. How many times have we heard "Nothing like that has ever happened here before!", right after it has.
Yep. It is good to be prepared, I just don’t want to fall into the paranoia trap. Some of the guys I work with take things a bit far.

OkieStubble

Yep. It is good to be prepared, I just don’t want to fall into the paranoia trap. Some of the guys I work with take things a bit far.

There isn't a thin line between being prepared and paranoid. Only a choice. One is simply, a lifestyle choice. The other, just a frame of mind. :)

nortac

"Can't Raise an Eyebrow"
OTOH, I suspect too many of us believe we are adequately prepared and situationally aware, when in reality we are lacking in some areas, but won't admit it to ourselves.

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
There isn't a thin line between being prepared and paranoid. Only a choice. One is simply, a lifestyle choice. The other, just a frame of mind. :)
Gotcha. Luckily (since I frequent sub forums here) I tend to not go overboard. A few good razors, a few good soaps, etc. If I weren’t like that, hanging around B&B would break me. :lol:

OkieStubble

OTOH, I suspect too many of us believe we are adequately prepared and situationally aware, when in reality we are lacking in some areas, but won't admit it to ourselves.

I'm sure we are all prepared for what we do know and unprepared for what we don't know. :)

OkieStubble

Pray you’re doing well. I personally know two who have it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm just now getting over it after 3 1/2 weeks. While I'm absolutely sure, mine was mild symptoms, it sure doesn't seem that way at the time when you are going thru it. It seemed like a long tough road to travel, so I can't even imagine what some are dealing with.

My prayers go out to all of them.

nortac

"Can't Raise an Eyebrow"
I'm just now getting over it after 3 1/2 weeks. While I'm absolutely sure, mine was mild symptoms, it sure doesn't seem that way at the time when you are going thru it. It seemed like a long tough road to travel, so I can't even imagine what some are dealing with.

Rob, glad to hear you are on the downhill side and are doing better. Several coworkers have had it and one of our Docs is on a vent. Some probably have had it with mild symptoms and never got tested.

Good to hear that you’re recovering. My firearms instructor is recovering and one friend has passed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Top Bottom