What's new

Interview with Scott Policar proprietor of Cambridge Chemists-NYC

full
More Photo's of Chambridge chemists website

Scott, thanks for taking the time to speak with us here at the B&B.

How did you get your start at Cambridge Chemists?

This goes back to 1982, Cambridge chemists at that time was importing and distributing George F. Trumper and Floris of London products under our import company, as well as selling it in our retail store. I had just joined the business on the import side and had tried all the shave stuff for myself. I was hooked from my first brush to all the different scents of shave soap and cream. Being young and just out of college, at that time using can foam and a throw away razor was a far cry to what I use now. I came to work for my father and his partner who at that time was the largest retail outlet for Floris of London and Geo F. Trumper products. Stores started to call from all over-interested in carrying the products so they set up an import business to distribute the products. Being pharmacists they had little time to run between 2 businesses so I joined them and help to set up independent sales people and showrooms in the gift galleries across the United States. This went on for many years. Eventually the two English companies got investors and offers to take over and market the products more aggresively. So we just became a retail stockist.

Who is on your team in the pharmacy?

Besides my self I have my father Joseph Policar who still comes to work at the age of 74, Howard Fox who has been the store manager here for over 25 years, and Jessica who has been here for 12 years she is always smiling and I think the customers come in just too see her and buy something just not to be obvious. (“Sorry she’s married"). We all bring something to the shop. We have years of experience and wisdom from my father, the knowledge of products and information from all of us. We are all here to help you, over the years I have learned a lot of things regarding wet shaving but I am always learning from the people.

How has wet shaving’s popularity changed in that time?

Wet shaving I believe has been on the rise for the last 10 years on a faster pace than the previous 10 years. With help from the B&B and other shave forums, men and woman looking for other ways to protect their skin while they shave. There have been so many inferior products brought to market and we tend to believe the marketing behind them but the best form of referral is by someone who has used the product.

What your average customer like today for wetshaving items?

The average customer for wetshaving used to be older, now he is the young college student who watched his father use these items. The age limit is definitely getting lower. The people are internet savvy and find the time to ask for help regarding a good shave.

What are some common mistakes made by the new wetshaver?

Even though they have asked questions on line or have done internet search when a new wet shaver come in they still really don't know what kind of brush to get or shave cream, etc. They automatically think the more expensive the better. I usually let them pick what they want. But I always tell them its better to start out slow you can always upgrade as you get more comfortable with wet shaving.

What are the most popular products by category?

Czech&Speake cologne # 88, Coral and Lime skin food by Trumper, Shave soaps, Trumper sandalwood, D.R. Harris almond, Czech & Speake # 88, shave cream’s Coconut by Trumper, D.R. Harris, lavender, and Castle Forbes is on the rise with limes followed by Taylor Avocado and Trufitt and hill 1805.

What are the best products for value/price?

Taylor of Old Bond street. This family owned company still puts their integrity to sell their products at a reasonable price. Their non alcohol aftershave gels creams are great as well as their pre shave gel, aromatherapy pre shave oil. Taylor also makes a brush and brushless shave gel that most people don’t even know about.

What is the most sold item related to wet shaving?

Has to be the shaving creams in a plastic jars. From Trumper, Taylor of old Bond Street, D.R. Harris and co. and Castle Forbes

What Item surprises you by its sales?

The niche item that surprises me most by popularity is shave oils, pre shave oil’s. These are becoming popular as the weather changes and for people with razor bumps as well as ingrown hairs.

What line of wet shaving products has the most sales?

Geo F. Trumper because I believe their background in shaving the royals over the past generations has stuck with them and people feel that they have to be good. Taylor of old Bond Street is still family owned and is very innovative with their products, they run a close second.

Is there a difference in products?

I believe people are brand loyal and after awhile they will be willing to try something else. Especially when they start reading about the other shave enthusiast’s trials on other products.

Do you believe English suppliers are changing their formulations?

Yes absolutely on some of their products. Do to the cost of raw materials and the price of the dollar against the pound they have no choice. If they were to continue to keep some of the formulas the same, the cost to manufacture the product would eventually lead to a rise in price here and that would hurt the business. But if they change formulas without telling the target buyer they will lose the business in the long term.

What are your favorite products that are no longer made?

Czech & Speake black glass # 88 shave bowls-the word is it might be back by the end of the year. D.R. Harris cologne scented shave soap and creams. The old formulas of DR Harris after shave milk.

Why do you think they were discontinued or changed?

Economics or introduction of new products, but the manufacturers only set them selves back until we get used to the new formulas or the products replacements. It gives the wet shave a reason to hunt down the old formulas from leftover stock.

Now that Floris of London no longer has a shop in NYC, can we expect to see more Floris on the shelves of Cambridge?

Floris of London- eventually you will see the product back on our shelves. We started with them over 40 years ago. Things change but eventually it always comes full circle.

What are some of the products that are “under the radar” in your business?

We have just touched upon wet shaving we still have the other parts of our body that have lots of products available from the same manufacturers. For example, Geo F. Trumper, Taylor of Old Bond St. and D.R. Harris have a complete line of hair lotions shampoos, talcum’s deodorants, hair gels etc. Something else we can add to the chatter.

How often do the wet shaving forums get mentioned in your shop?

Wet shaving forums get mentioned quite often, mostly by men that are new to the wet shaving world. Occasionally we get a visit from regulars that have been on the shave circuit for awhile.

How much business do you receive from the forums?

We get a fair amount of business from the forums, the members are very astute shoppers they look for best price possible-as any shopper should. We offer a 10 to 15 percent discount on most products and free ground shipping for any of the members of the B&B.

What’s the best way to find a hard to find item?

Persistence and networking- do not be afraid to ask, even if it is not listed on the website. You can always call our 800 number and I will try to look for it for you.

Can you take special orders for item that you do not stock?

We accept all special orders as long as the customer understands that these are special and a full discount on price cannot be extended, of course returns are not possible.

What’s the best part of running a business in New york City?

The best thing about running a shop in New York City is you never know what will come up or who you will meet, it’s a great place to meet people interested in great products. The worst is the rents are high and operating expenses are through the roof. That’s where you have to be different to make it.

Where do you see the business going?

I think it will grow, but we are going to see an influx of product that is not going to be as quality oriented as we have now. This is scary because we are always looking for the next best thing, which takes away from what is already established and proven. Just think of the money wasted in trying all the new products that come out. This is where the shaving forums are great, one person can test and save many others from wasting time, energy and money, the shaving forums have captured an audience and they have a large loud voice that affects the consumer.

Do the manufacturers hear us-The wetshaving community when we speak?

I can speak for myself that when the forums speak as a group this could be beneficial to manufacturers, but I don’t think they read all the chatter. If we can come up with a form to compile info on soaps brushes razors etc. I would be happy to pass it on to the manufacturers I deal with.

Who’s that at the front door?

Jim you asking about my best employee- the guard at the front door, it took many years to recruit him he has been with us for about 10 years now. He doesn't speak much but he is a great listener.

Thanks for taking the time to do this interview Scott!

Last edited by a moderator:
Gent's -This is a preview for you the Contributors of the B&B,the post will move out to the main forum in 24 hours. Thanks for the suggestions for the interview.

Three cheers for Jim conducting such a great interview! :a17:

And a special thanks to all of you for contributing such great questions! :thumbup1:

Great job Jim . just a bit Curious did you go to the shop and speak with him was the interview over the phone ??

I am sure if you went to the shop you will be showing us some nice things in the acquisitions thread.

Nick

Great job Jim . just a bit Curious did you go to the shop and speak with him was the interview over the phone ??

I am sure if you went to the shop you will be showing us some nice things in the acquisitions thread.

Nick

Nick,
In person as well as e-mail. I have quite often left my money there.:biggrin:

Excellent interview! Really interesting

Where do you see the business going?

I think it will grow, but we are going to see an influx of product that is not going to be as quality oriented as we have now. This is scary because we are always looking for the next best thing, which takes away from what is already established and proven.

Between the manufacturers' "reformulating" for whatever reason, and the influx of new products that aren't as quality-oriented
, I've worried about this point too, and I'm pleased that someone with way more product experience than myself sees it too.

johnniegold

"Got Shoes?"
Great interview Jim. Now where is the sign-up sheet for the B&B class trip to 8-5-5 and do we have to bring a lunch? :smile:

Excellant interview Thanks! I'm in the City a few times a week, and will have to check it out, looks unique!

Top Bottom