What's new

Interview with David Richardson of Yaqi Shaving.au

Based on my very positive experiences with several Yaqi brushes, I contacted David Richardson, an Agent of Yaqi Shaving in Australia. Here is what he had to say about the brushes--

"YAQI Brushes were and are the main focus of the company and their synthetic brushes in particular have won a place in wet shavers hearts worldwide. YAQI developed a process that gives their synthetic brushes just the right amount of backbone and this seems to be the main feature that customers pick up on when using a YAQI brush. Obviously the price point is also something that is welcomed and the variety of handles, diameters and lofts makes the YAQI brush range a "candy shop" for wet shavers.

YAQI have produced a range that has been well accepted by all levels of wet shavers. The…knots give customers a lot to explore with the confidence that they will be quality. That is, I feel, the beauty of the range. For more technical information YAQI would be the best source for that. I can only comment as an Agent and user of the products as YAQI keep the finer details to themselves.

Some custom brush makers who use the YAQI knots are figuring out the secrets to setting the knots correctly as they can measure the YAQI knot, then measure a YAQI brush that has that knot and calculate how far the knot is being set in. That helps them get close to the same backbone feel and uncover the "secrets" to loft & backbone.

No one, as far as I know, not even YAQI, has a list of all brushes and their respective 'backbone". There was a Youtuber "KIT" who started the project but I don't think he got past about 6-10 brushes.

As I write this I'm kinda happy that there isn't such a breakdown as I don't think it would work. Brushes, I feel, are way too personal to be able to categorize them definitely. The exploration is the beauty..?"

DAVID RICHARDSON fin.jpg

Based on my very positive experiences with several Yaqi brushes, I contacted David Richardson, an Agent of Yaqi Shaving in Australia. Here is what he had to say about the brushes--

"YAQI Brushes were and are the main focus of the company and their synthetic brushes in particular have won a place in wet shavers hearts worldwide. YAQI developed a process that gives their synthetic brushes just the right amount of backbone and this seems to be the main feature that customers pick up on when using a YAQI brush. Obviously the price point is also something that is welcomed and the variety of handles, diameters and lofts makes the YAQI brush range a "candy shop" for wet shavers.

YAQI have produced a range that has been well accepted by all levels of wet shavers. The…knots give customers a lot to explore with the confidence that they will be quality. That is, I feel, the beauty of the range. For more technical information YAQI would be the best source for that. I can only comment as an Agent and user of the products as YAQI keep the finer details to themselves.

Some custom brush makers who use the YAQI knots are figuring out the secrets to setting the knots correctly as they can measure the YAQI knot, then measure a YAQI brush that has that knot and calculate how far the knot is being set in. That helps them get close to the same backbone feel and uncover the "secrets" to loft & backbone.

No one, as far as I know, not even YAQI, has a list of all brushes and their respective 'backbone". There was a Youtuber "KIT" who started the project but I don't think he got past about 6-10 brushes.

As I write this I'm kinda happy that there isn't such a breakdown as I don't think it would work. Brushes, I feel, are way too personal to be able to categorize them definitely. The exploration is the beauty..?"

Top Bottom