What's new

Interview look for warm temps

Here in Florida it's already getting to the 100's heat index.
to compound that, my car's AC is out. what alternatives do i have for
a good look on a job interview? this is not a High Management position,
it's customer service job in a call center.
I'm thinking either a suit no tie or tie no jacket.

I understand about the Florida heat and humidity (I'm in Jacksonville). Of the two options you listed I would go with a suit, no tie. To me, it's a more "put together" look.

As your car's AC is out, make sure to do things before you leave to keep you cool as long as possible - keep your car in the garage (or in the shade) as long as possible, make sure to take a cold shower, use a menthol soap/aftershave, drink plenty of cold water, and don't put your jacket on until you get there. Good luck!

(Almost) Always leave your jacket off in the car, and only put it on after exiting the vehicle. If you do this, you are still only wearing the suit while in the interview, so most of your concerns are met, and you can go with a regular suit and tie.

If buying a new suit is an option, stick to suit and tie, but go for a summer fabric like linen or seersucker. Given it being Florida I'd imagine those fabrics could be nearly year round wear anyway.

I doubt that you would go wrong with the suit (leave the jacket off until you get into the building).

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
Here in Florida it's already getting to the 100's heat index.
to compound that, my car's AC is out. what alternatives do i have for
a good look on a job interview? this is not a High Management position,
it's customer service job in a call center.
I'm thinking either a suit no tie or tie no jacket.
When I had one semester left to graduate, I had an informal interview (kind of a "getting to know each other" thing) with National Instruments in Austin (I live in Fort Worth- about a 4 hour drive). This was during summer break, July I believe, and the AC in the car died. I knew there was no way I wasn't going to sweat. So, I hung my clothes in the back seat, and brought some unscented baby wipes. I left so that I would arrive about an hour early. I found the place, then looked for the closest coffee shop. I popped into the restroom, wiped up, put on the nice clothes (left the suit jacket until I was ready to go into the building), and had a cup of coffee. When I left there to go to the interview, it was only a couple minute drive, so no problem. Unfortunately, a few weeks afterwards NI decided to go to other sources for hiring, and I never got call back. On the bright side, I got into flight simulation, which is a very complex and interesting field. Hope this helps a bit.

on edit: No, I did not drive down in the nude. I wore shorts and a t shirt :)

tankerjohn

A little poofier than I prefer
What those guys said. Definitely carry your jacket until you're inside the ACed building. I'm going to add that tie-no jacket is usually not a particularly good look. Maybe it's acceptable in Florida;not sure about that. But please, for the love all that is holy, unless you have thick-rimmed glasses and work for NASA, don't wear a tie with short sleeves. Also, in hot weather, I find it helpful to carry a handkerchief so if I'm running a little hot, I can at least keep my brow mopped.

What everyone else has said. See if you can borrow a car from a friend or one of your buddies, hell rent one for the day!

I would still wear a suit and tie, but not put the jacket on until I left the car to enter the building. I'll do that here (Salt Lake City area) even on the hottest mid Summer days of the year (100+). I have done it both with a charcoal wool/wool blend suit or a brown lighter weight double breasted suit.

The company I currently work for I was suit, tie, white shirt (which I rarely wear-only have one in fact), daily dress code is Business Casual - slacks, collared shirt. (either polo style or regular dress shirt) Friday's jeans are allowable, but must be nice and no sneakers. Although I have noticed several people wearing them. (even our Controller and CFO)

musicman1951

three-tu-tu, three-tu-tu
You could rent a small car for the day, but I'm not sure this is the job interview for that investment - obviously that's up to you.

Linen is great in the heat. Can you make the interview for early morning? If not, and you have a long commute, you might want to go a little early and cool off in one of the easily found over-air conditioned establishments all over Florida so you don't walk in dripping wet.

Good luck.

Top Bottom