What's new

INFO! Interview and Q&A with D.R. Franc pipemaker

Dustin,
Can you give us an idea what tools and equipment you have in your shop?

Did I mention we love photos!

Dustin,
Can you give us an idea what tools and equipment you have in your shop?

Did I mention we love photos!
My shop is a mess right now! Also... during the winter months, i bring some of my tools inside...
The bigger machinery I use:
•Drill Press for drilling (modified)
•Band Saw for cutting
•1"x 30" Belt Sander
•1"x 42" Belt Sander (for slack sanding)
•2 Hook & Loop Sanding Pads on a Twin Buffing Motor (modified with a lazy suzan)
•Foredom Flex Shaft (with foot pedal)
•Benchtop Sandblasting Cabinet (heavily modified)
•Buffing Station Twin Motor (modified as well)
20190323_075240.jpg 20190323_082932.jpg 20190323_082923.jpg 20190323_083242.jpg
20190323_082907.jpg

Mike H

Instagram Famous
Fascinating, thank you for the pictures. Looking forward to more. Especially ones with Morta [emoji106]

Claudel Xerxes

Staff member
I'm curious about what instrument you played as a musician. What type of music are you into? What genre is your favorite to play?

As far as pipes are concerned, what's your favorite pipe and tobacco combination?

Is there any advice that you have for folks just getting into pipe smoking?

I'm curious about what instrument you played as a musician. What type of music are you into? What genre is your favorite to play?

As far as pipes are concerned, what's your favorite pipe and tobacco combination?

Is there any advice that you have for folks just getting into pipe smoking?
I was (am) a Singer/Songwriter. I dabble a bit with most instruments, actually. But my foremost instrument is the guitar. Lead guitar mainly... i.e: fingerpicking, blues solos, and long jam sessions.
My favorite style to play live is blues/rock... i.e.: Hendrix, Canned Heat, Kinks, Youngbloods... for obvious reasons. Riffing randomly with other musicians, and jamming for long periods is too much fun. Alone (or in close company) I love playing acoustic style music... i.e: Ben Harper, Bob Dylan, Zeppelin's acoustic stuff.
The music I listen to on a daily basis: Nine Inch Nails, Bob Dylan, Ben Harper, White Zombie, Wallflowers, Marilyn Manson... all over the board really. My 2 all time favorite writers are Bob Dylan and Trent Reznor. Lol!

My ideal pipe/tobacco combo is Strawberry Briar & Latakias. That being said... I spend a LOT of time in the shop with a pipe hanging out of my mouth. So... i probably spend the most time smoking straight billiards. It keeps the smoke up and out of my face. Easy to clean and reload as well. But honestly, i prefer the comfort, draw, and coolness of smoke that a bent pipe offers.

As far as advice for new smokers... I am not one of your more conventional nor classical style pipe smokers. I dont follow the "rules." I inhale... I smoke bowl after bowl, without resting a pipe sometimes... admittedly, i dont clean my pipes out as often as i should. I just smoke! I am sure i would be scolded by the "truer" pipers out there.
But my advice would be... Do not be intimidated by the many rules and supposed-to-dos out there. Just do it your way and enjoy it. Try any and everything. If it tastes bad or ruins a pipe.... make (or buy) another one!!!! Lol!

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
I was (am) a Singer/Songwriter. I dabble a bit with most instruments, actually. But my foremost instrument is the guitar. Lead guitar mainly... i.e: fingerpicking, blues solos, and long jam sessions.
My favorite style to play live is blues/rock... i.e.: Hendrix, Canned Heat, Kinks, Youngbloods... for obvious reasons. Riffing randomly with other musicians, and jamming for long periods is too much fun. Alone (or in close company) I love playing acoustic style music... i.e: Ben Harper, Bob Dylan, Zeppelin's acoustic stuff.
The music I listen to on a daily basis: Nine Inch Nails, Bob Dylan, Ben Harper, White Zombie, Wallflowers, Marilyn Manson... all over the board really. My 2 all time favorite writers are Bob Dylan and Trent Reznor. Lol!

My ideal pipe/tobacco combo is Strawberry Briar & Latakias. That being said... I spend a LOT of time in the shop with a pipe hanging out of my mouth. So... i probably spend the most time smoking straight billiards. It keeps the smoke up and out of my face. Easy to clean and reload as well. But honestly, i prefer the comfort, draw, and coolness of smoke that a bent pipe offers.

As far as advice for new smokers... I am not one of your more conventional nor classical style pipe smokers. I dont follow the "rules." I inhale... I smoke bowl after bowl, without resting a pipe sometimes... admittedly, i dont clean my pipes out as often as i should. I just smoke! I am sure i would be scolded by the "truer" pipers out there.
But my advice would be... Do not be intimidated by the many rules and supposed-to-dos out there. Just do it your way and enjoy it. Try any and everything. If it tastes bad or ruins a pipe.... make (or buy) another one!!!! Lol!
A Canned Heat fan? Now I know I like you. :)

Top Bottom